Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LiftBig84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fullback training

Whats up guys. Alright, im in a community college right now, and i have 2 years ahead of me to bulk up and get to a size where i can play fullback at a university i transfer to. Right now, im about 205, and im eating alot more, chicken, steak, eggs, protein shakes, all the good stuff. I work out 5 days a week, but its more of like a bodybuilding routine. I know thats gotta go and i have to bring on the heavy stuff. If any of you guys can help me out with a good routine or advice, id appreciate it.

Bench- 325
    Squat-515
    Power clean - 245
    deadlift- 585
    40- 5.2 (sucks, i know)

SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    that squat/dl is quite impressive. ur bench is alright considering your weight but it has room for improvement. to see that you clean 245 yet squat 500+ and dead almost 600, it is kinda odd.. no offense but 5.2 is pretty slow for a fullback. my friend is 280 and runs a 40 in 5.1

1.) get even stronger
    2.) get faster
    3.) don't forget about ur football skills. putting linebackers on their ass on a 24 blast or putting d-ends in hospitals on a 26 power.
    bb's tackling guru?? ;p

sqweezer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dont know if you have read any of my posts or know who i am, but im 350 play arena 2 ball., played at kentucky with tim couch for 2 years. I can still run a 4.9 40 and can incline 400.
    Im a mentzer man and believe in one set to failure. I would cut your routine down to monday, chest and back, wedneday , shoulders and arms, and friday do legs and calves.
    Somtimes you can gain strenght without gaining weight and you can gain more weight without gaining alot of strenght if you doa bodybuilding routine with slow controlled movements.
    I would do incline bench press and chill with the flat for awhile and have all your recovery and growth go towards the incline for more growth. you can go back toa powerlifting routine and do flat bench later. Then do t bar row, lat pulldown, and 6-10 rep deadlifts. Dont do one rep maxes. On wednesday superset side lateral with dumbell shoulder press , then do rear delt fly, then a couple bicep and tricep exercises. For legs do a different leg exercise each workout.. like workout one, do leg press, second leg workout, do squat., third workout do a leg press with a different angle. Do leg extension first , then the squat or leg press, then leg curl and calf raise.
    Do warmup sets and then one set to failure with the heaviest weight you can use in good form for 4-8 reps, and remember to grow and get better you have to go up by 5 pounds or 1 rep each workout. No workout works unless you do this, and hit training one set to failure is best for this. I'll even tell you of guys that do hit training for football. Junior Seau, Mean joe green, mike alstott, kevin hardy, i personally train hardy, and alstott, . Pittsburgh steelers, miami dolphins, tampa and many teams do modified hit training. Also always ice injured or inflamed parts after you lift and heat them before with hot water before you lift. Take creatine, up yur vitamin and water intake, take calcium and magnesium before bed. Also try to become a smarter player and play is if you have bad genes and need to overcome and do everything perfect just to be average. Do this and you will become great. Also have a goal of going pro, tell people you are gonna be a star, want it and believe it. Dont lift like others or think others know what there doing just because they might be better than you. if you want more , I'll bring it on, later chris

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by sqweezer
    dont know if you have read any of my posts or know who i am, but im 350 play arena 2 ball., played at kentucky with tim couch for 2 years. I can still run a 4.9 40 and can incline 400.
    Im a mentzer man and believe in one set to failure. I would cut your routine down to monday, chest and back, wedneday , shoulders and arms, and friday do legs and calves.
    Somtimes you can gain strenght without gaining weight and you can gain more weight without gaining alot of strenght if you doa bodybuilding routine with slow controlled movements.
    I would do incline bench press and chill with the flat for awhile and have all your recovery and growth go towards the incline for more growth. you can go back toa powerlifting routine and do flat bench later. Then do t bar row, lat pulldown, and 6-10 rep deadlifts. Dont do one rep maxes. On wednesday superset side lateral with dumbell shoulder press , then do rear delt fly, then a couple bicep and tricep exercises. For legs do a different leg exercise each workout.. like workout one, do leg press, second leg workout, do squat., third workout do a leg press with a different angle. Do leg extension first , then the squat or leg press, then leg curl and calf raise.
    Do warmup sets and then one set to failure with the heaviest weight you can use in good form for 4-8 reps, and remember to grow and get better you have to go up by 5 pounds or 1 rep each workout. No workout works unless you do this, and hit training one set to failure is best for this. I'll even tell you of guys that do hit training for football. Junior Seau, Mean joe green, mike alstott, kevin hardy, i personally train hardy, and alstott, . Pittsburgh steelers, miami dolphins, tampa and many teams do modified hit training. Also always ice injured or inflamed parts after you lift and heat them before with hot water before you lift. Take creatine, up yur vitamin and water intake, take calcium and magnesium before bed. Also try to become a smarter player and play is if you have bad genes and need to overcome and do everything perfect just to be average. Do this and you will become great. Also have a goal of going pro, tell people you are gonna be a star, want it and believe it. Dont lift like others or think others know what there doing just because they might be better than you. if you want more , I'll bring it on, later chris
    why do you not follow a typical sports program...

TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if you could get ur 40 time down then you'll be pretty good at fullback..........but don't forget to work on skills too.
    - the brave don't live forever but the cowardly never really live.......

- pain is temporary, pride is forever....

thanks for the replies. If i keep the rep ranges from 3-5 on heavy lifts, will it be more beneficial for me to do less sets with that heavy poundage, or more sets? i

and what would be the best rest period in between sets for bench presses and the olympic lifts?

user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    O-lifts tend to hit your whole body pretty hard. So I would say rest about 2-3.5 minutes between sets. For BP 1-2.5 minutes would probably be good.

Right now my routine looks something this :

M
    Power clean 6x3-5 reps
    Deadlift 6x3-5 reps
    Military press 4x 6 reps
    bent rows 4x6 reps
    high pulls 4x6 reps

w
    Bench press 6x3-5 reps
    Incline 5x4-6 reps
    Close grip 4x4-6 reps
    Skull crushers 3x6-8
    Barbell curls 3x6-8
    Hammer curls 3x6-8

F
    Squat 6x3-5
    Front squat 5x4-6
    leg press 4x4-6
    lunges 4 x 8
    calf raises 4x25

on tuesdays and thursdays i do agility drills and run 10s,20s, and 40s. If you guys know of anything i can do to make this better, let me know

TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by LiftBig84
    thanks for the replies. If i keep the rep ranges from 3-5 on heavy lifts, will it be more beneficial for me to do less sets with that heavy poundage, or more sets? i
    the less reps you use then the more sets you need.
    - the brave don't live forever but the cowardly never really live.......

- pain is temporary, pride is forever....

Zerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zerto is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by SSJ4
    to see that you clean 245 yet squat 500+ and dead almost 600, it is kinda odd
    Talk about an imbalance, my max squat is 280, DL is 260, clean is 95...

Ballplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    all i have to say is make sure u do excercises that require u to use your explosive strength. do the negative phases slow and explode on the positive phase
    also take a look at this article
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...gridiron_1.htm
    Height 5'9'
    weight 180
    bench 295
    squat 500
    vertical 34"
    football beast

pepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    personally..i think you need to madly increase your powerclean. Gl
    "People don't plan to fail. People simply just fail to plan."

biggunner11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yea Right

Yea I'd like to take a minute and say that i thikn what u put up there is a lie, it doesn't make sense. Another thing is that I hear u like to steal girls from your friends. Ok, back to fullback. I think that u should just eat hamburgers and drink chocolate strsight from the bottle. Lastly I hear you have a gym called Silver's, soudns like a cheap impresion of Gold's, but i'm not making fun of you, I just wanted to say that i think the guy who works out with you, is a god at working out. Thats it from hur, ttyl.

P.S. Good luck trying out for fullback at HCC

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    i can squat 510lbs and only power clean 220lbs and bench 308lbs adn only dead about 300lbs... so prob do beleive him...

Supaman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just met with a coach from a University last week to talk about playing tailback, and I was pretty worried about my size (5'11, 185) and he told me not to worry about it that college football is not as much strength as people think it is (speed kills were his exact words), but then again you are training for full back so it could be completely different. Good luck though bro.

SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i would say that the effect size has on the field is about 50/50. i'm 5'7 and weigh 150lbs. i'm 2nd string outside linebacker for my varsity football team (we were state runner-ups last season). ppl look at me and think that i'm gonna get knocked over.. even my coach thought so (we got a new defensive coordinator this year) as long as you can make up for the size, it's all good

ps..i wish i was taller..=/
    bb's tackling guru?? ;p

RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would definetely say focus on your power clean. It is very weak compared to your other lifts. I you can dead 600! You should have your clean very close to 300 if not beyond 3. Also Focus on your speed more man. 5.2 won't get you anywhere. You need to be under 4.7 to compete at a university level.

#1 SPEED
    #2 CLEAN
    #3 GAIN WEIGHT

in that order.
    Kyle Hannah
    **SPONSORED BY CONTROLLED LABS**

Why settle for less than your absolute Best!

sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Your squats and dead are impressive. I'm betting the cleans will improve if you keep working on technique. Try jumping squats with moderately light dumbells also. Seemed to help me a lot with power and speed. Also, include a lot of sprints in you workouts if you don't already. And forget long cardio sessions if you do them. Good luck!

Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It probably shows a lack of good clean technique. He's probably pulling most of the weight with his upper body and back, which you need, but not loading the bar enough and really getting your explosive jump through your thighes and off your calves and then try to slam your heels into the ground. Thats how I was always taught, also: make sure you keep a big chest before and during the lift, bring the bar as close to your body as possible, and make sure you are on your tip toes and fully shrugged before you start the pulling motion. The pulling motion should come at the same time you explode off your toes.

just my 2 cents.
    Rugger7

Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Oh and by the way dude, good luck.. i am also going for fullback at a top 25 school in just about 2 months. I got about 15-20 lbs I'm trying to lose. Right now my stats are bench 355, incline - 315, hang clean 295, power clean.. not sure I just started doin it a month or two ago for the first time in 4 years but I can do a few with 225, i usually jerk from a power clean too, I squatted 500 a few weeks after doing 475 x 3 (everything deep deep squatted, thats how i do it and i think i can do more, deadlift 560.. My 40 time.. well i have no friggin clue about my 40 time i haven't been timed in 6 years since i was 14.. i'd imagine I can run a 4.9 or 5.0 right now at 270, when I'm 250 i'll be movin pretty swift i think. good luck dude

Peace,
    Rugger

is it just me or do fullbacks always have the biggest hearts of all.. we're always the 5'10 and 5'11 guys that just refuse to give up. :-D
    Last edited by Rugger7; 02-03-2004 at 05:40 AM.

archangel22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question high schooler that needs some help.

hey. i'm a sophomore been playing football for a year now and i'm a pretty good fullback. but this year, my team got a new coach and he thinks i needs to improve a lot, and so do i. here's my stats, help me out.

height - 5'6"
    weight - 185lbs.
    bench - 215lbs.
    clean - 200lbs.
    squat - 505lbs.

colemandp74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by archangel22 View Post
    hey. i'm a sophomore been playing football for a year now and i'm a pretty good fullback. but this year, my team got a new coach and he thinks i needs to improve a lot, and so do i. here's my stats, help me out.

height - 5'6"
    weight - 185lbs.
    bench - 215lbs.
    clean - 200lbs.
    squat - 505lbs.
    wow.
    ur a sophmore and u squat 505...
    i play the same position

all my stats are about the same as urs
    except i only squat 315

Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by colemandp74 View Post
    wow.
    ur a sophmore and u squat 505...
    i play the same position

all my stats are about the same as urs
    except i only squat 315
    high school football teams dont squat atg... sometimes not even parrallel
    ARMY STRONG

2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Doyl888 View Post
    high school football teams dont squat atg... sometimes not even parrallel
    Because you've been to every single high school across the nation?

Pretty big blanket statement kid.

Do speed squats as well as traditional squats to those of you looking to increase explosiveness.
    Fitness Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107651531

cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by archangel22 View Post

height - 5'6"
    weight - 185lbs.
    bench - 215lbs.
    clean - 200lbs.
    squat - 505lbs.
    congratulations on your 500 pound squat at age 15 and 185 BW...oh wait, you are lying/delusional.

Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by 2 D View Post
    Because you've been to every single high school across the nation?

Pretty big blanket statement kid.

Do speed squats as well as traditional squats to those of you looking to increase explosiveness.
    if they do squat atg it wouldnt be entirely beneficial anyways... but thats a whole other argument....

that sophmore in high school weighing 185lbs does not squat 500lbs to the floor and back... hell i cant even see him unracking it...but who knows, a lot of their maxes are quarter squats...
    ARMY STRONG

colemandp74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    at my high school if we dont go parallel the max doesnt count

LIGHT SKINNED MANDINGO G-mane12's Avatar
    G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    holy **** this thread is from 2003
    Stickam: ronniecoleman22

"One morning I woke up and found my favorite pigeon, Julius, had died I was devastated and was gonna use his crate as my stickball bat to honor him. I left the crate on my stoop and went in to get something and I returned to see the sanitation man put the crate into the crusher. I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard." -Mike Tyson

Originally Posted by G-mane12 View Post
    holy **** this thread is from 2003
    yea that stupid kid who is under 200lbs who thinks he can squat 500+ bumped it
    ARMY STRONG