AussieAlive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Current Training Routine - needs revision

Hi, I've been going to the gym since July last year and have experimented with different training routines, but I think that rather than designing them myself, I could do with some input. I had my friend who is a PT (and an ex-body builder) design me the program I use now, and the results have been tremendous, but some variation every now and again isn't bad. My current 4 day split is as follows:

Monday (Chest + Bi's)
    ------
    Incline / Decline Bench Press (2 x8-failure)
    Flat DB Press (2 x8-failure)
    Incline Cable/DB Flys (2 x12)
    Dips (2 x12)
    Pec Deck (2 x12)
    Cable X-Over (2 x12)

Cable Curls (2 x12)
    Incline DB Curls (2 x12)
    Concentration DB Curls (2 x12)
    Hammer Curls DB/Rope (2 x12)
    21's (2 x21)

Tuesday (Legs)
    -------
    { Barbell Squats (3 x20) } Alternate
    { 45degree Leg Press (3 x20) } weekly
    [ Leg curls (2 x12) ] Super
    [ Leg extensions (2 x12) ] Set
    Standing Calf Raises (2 x12)
    Seated Calf Raises (2 x12)

Thursday (Back + Tri's)
    --------
    [ Smart Rack pullups (2 x12) ] Super
    [ Cable Row (2 x12) ] Set
    Lat Pulldowns (2 x12)
    Cable Extensions (2 x12)
    1H DB/Cable Row (2 x12)
    Reverse Delt Machine (2 x12)
    Back Extensions (3 x15)

Skull Crusher (2 x12)
    Tricep Pushdown (2 x12)
    Cable Extensions (2 x12)
    1H Cable/DB Extension (2 x12)
    Reverse Tricep Pushdown (2 x12)

Friday (Shoulders)
    ------
    Military Press (2 x12)
    DB Press (2 x12)
    Arnold Press (2 x12)
    Front Cable Raises (2 x12)
    Side DB/Cable Raises (2 x12)
    Dumbell Shrugs (3 x12)

I have a feeling I might be over-training some muscle groups, as my days take at least an hour and a half, which seems unreasonable as I've heard the optimal training time is around 1 hour. Plus the gym I goto has some Strength Challenge where you have 4 weeks to improve your strength in flat barbell press and squats, so any other input would be outstanding (keeping in mind I'll probably work on those exercises every other day during that 4 week period). Oh and the challenge requires you to demonstrate 6 perfect form reps with the heaviest weight you can possibly do.

Thanks in advance.

nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if your worried about overtraining then i would do shoulders with chest, triceps with chest, biceps with back.

if time is a problem then cut down on the exercises man.

i don't see a need for 14 sets for chest divided into 7 exercises.

try 2-3 exercises per muscle group and 3-5 sets for each exercise. but don't go crazy.

oops, I didn't clarify that, if it says DB/Cable it means I alternate each week, just for some variety. Thanks for the info though, anyone else with some ideas, please, input appreciated.
    "Ask me how much I bench press, and I'll ask you how much you squat."

Squat - 315lb x 1
    Deadlift - 340lb x 1
    Leg Press - 1010lb x 1

surfer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) surfer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) surfer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) surfer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) surfer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) surfer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) surfer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) surfer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) surfer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) surfer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) surfer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thats like my workout, expet i do my back and traps, and shoulders and tris
    george bush dont surf

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What a horrible routine, way too much isolation work,
    "my grocery bill looks like a ransom note"

So what suggestions do you have in terms of changing my routine?

Squat - 315lb x 1
    Deadlift - 340lb x 1
    Leg Press - 1010lb x 1

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: Current Training Routine - needs revision

Incline Cable/DB Flys (2 x12)
    Pec Deck (2 x12)
    Cable X-Over (2 x12)

This is the same movement three times! waste of effort and energy, these exercises do not permit enough weight to be used to overload the muscle (make it grow) either pick one of the three or even better ditch them all.

Concentration DB Curls (2 x12)

The weight for this is so light it won't be enough to stimulate growth, waste of time and energy.

21's (2 x21)

21's doesn't mean you do 2 sets of 21, its a system of partials and full reps and should only be done occasionally.

Leg extensions (2 x12) ] Set

Again, not enough weight to stimulate growth.

Seated Calf Raises (2 x12)

Pointless, they only work the soleus which will get enough stimulation from the standing raises.

1H DB/Cable Row (2 x12)

Another waste of effort light weight exercise.

Tricep Pushdown (2 x12)

More lightweight waste of time

Cable Extensions (2 x12)

Another lightweight waste of time

1H Cable/DB Extension (2 x12)

Lightweight waste of time

Reverse Tricep Pushdown (2 x12)

Lightweight waste of time

Military Press (2 x12)
    DB Press (2 x12)

Virtually the same exercise twice, all the same muscle being worked, just pick one.

Arnold Press (2 x12)

If you value your shoulders don't do these, rotator cuff wreckers.

Front Cable Raises (2 x12)

Front delts get hit plenty from pressing, no point messing around with lightweight cables.

To build mass you need to lift heavy in the big exercises, your just not doing that your spreading your energy over a whole bunch of ineffective exercises. crossovers, extensions, cables just don't cut it when its comes to building serious mass, heavy weights in the big exercises are what counts, peck deck, crossovers, leg extensions etc. won't do anything to help your bench or squat and they won't put on any size so why bother with them?

Wow, thanks, I really appreciate the depth D&G

Squat - 315lb x 1
    Deadlift - 340lb x 1
    Leg Press - 1010lb x 1

Have a read through the workout section some time see what people are saying and doing, what you'll find people saying is lift big weights in the big exercises if you want to get big, its that simple.

Don't become a 'pumper' trying to hit every muscle from every angle, focus your energy onto the exercises that count - squats/deadlifts/dips/chins/bench/rows go heavy in those and you will pack on muscle.

No problems, do that in an hour or two. In terms of my split, the 2 groups I tend to target on different days, do they work well (knowing that chest works a little tricep too, and so forth), or perhaps should I use a more, conventional workout program?

Squat - 315lb x 1
    Deadlift - 340lb x 1
    Leg Press - 1010lb x 1

Correction chest works A LOT of tricep, some people (like me) don't even bother training triceps directly because all pressing movements work them enough, I don't train biceps either because my back work takes care of that.

Chose the grouping that suits you and not what you've read about, conventional bodybuilding routines usually mean whats in the magazines which are a complete waste of time, there are many productive ways to train let your experiences in the gym guide you. I always preferred doing chest with triceps and back with biceps, it was more convenient since there was no warm up needed for the arms and it meant less sets were needed so less recovery time was wasted. Do what suits you though, whatever allows you to perform an extra rep or add a little weight to the bar is each session what you should go with.

Awesome, I think this should be enough to go away and re-design my scheme. Thanks alot D&G.

Squat - 315lb x 1
    Deadlift - 340lb x 1
    Leg Press - 1010lb x 1

kowiakbryan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thats why too much, when i workout i just stick to what i have to do and ive been getting great results out of it. you seem like you are doing more than you have to. do just what you gotta do. your workouts shouldnt take any longer than an hour.