Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Losing REPS on Chinups... WHY!?

I've started a new workout regimen with body weight exercises only.

- 2500 calories a day
    - Carb 40%, Protein 30%, Fat 30%" macro ratio
    - 120g+ protein a day
    - 48 hours rest between workouts
    - 6'2" / 160lbs
    - 21 years old

I've attached my set/rep log in the attachments. You can see I am increasing the reps on my dips and pushups, but am losing reps on my chinups. WHAT IS GOING ON!? Should I be resting more and working out less? Do I need to be eating more? I am really confused.

P.S. The numbers in parentheses next to my rep count on my chinups are what I consider "assisted chinups". Since I don't have the strength yet to do long reps in a set, I do as many regular chinups as I can. Then, until i reach muscle failure, I pull myself up to the bar, standing, without having a full arm extension, hold, and then let myself down very slowly.
    Attached Files

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Based on what you wrote there -120g of protein, you're not actually tracking your macros/calories bc they would be waaaaaaay out of wack to meet 2,500 calories. There's no way to meet those percentages and 2,500 calories with only 120g protein.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krovos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    Based on what you wrote there -120g of protein, you're not actually tracking your macros/calories bc they would be waaaaaaay out of wack to meet 2,500 calories. There's no way to meet those percentages and 2,500 calories with only 120g protein.
    Could you could elaborate a bit more? I am tracking them, I have an app that does so. I aim for 2500 calories, all of which are inputted into my app, and from there my app tells me whether or not I am meeting my ratio. I'm not micromanaging it to the point of perfection, but the percentiles are not off more than a few numbers.

Ahhhh, I see... My macro's were off. Well I just recalculated everything, aiming to get my body weight in protein (just about), and I think I'll do a Carb 45%/ Fat 30%/ Protein 25%. Leaving me 163g of protein a day.
    Having only 120g of protein, has that really been the reason for my loss of reps? Given my reps were going up in other areas? I'm starting to fill out a lot in my shoulders and chest, but my biceps are still pretty small.

LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe you're losing reps cuz I just negged you.

Jk?
    Gym lifts: 260/130/285
    Meet lifts: 245/130/285

Coming back after injury journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169273893

haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nah man, there is not a lack of protein or anything, stop drinking. If you wanna get better, stop drinking. Furthermore, why don't you increase your dips and pushups more often? Also, are you doing full chin ups, or going halfway down? Make sure the ROM is correct.
    DePenIsVanJeZus
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167022661&p=1352859421#post1352859421

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by haroldhamersma View Post
    stop drinking. If you wanna get better, stop drinking.
    Ummm.....no. Has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Krovos- In regards to protein I'd recommend at least 1g of protein per pound body weight. Also you're fats are really high, I'd try to cut that down and add either more carbs or proteins. It's really hard to say why your not getting your reps. Proteins are a building block for muscles, make sure you're getting enough.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What kind of protein? It can make a huge difference...

Originally Posted by haroldhamersma View Post
    Nah man, there is not a lack of protein or anything, stop drinking. If you wanna get better, stop drinking. Furthermore, why don't you increase your dips and pushups more often? Also, are you doing full chin ups, or going halfway down? Make sure the ROM is correct.
    I'm going all the way down, making sure my arms are fully extended. Perhaps when I logged my set with 5 reps, I could have rushed them and hadn't payed attention to my range of motion.

Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    Ummm.....no. Has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Krovos- In regards to protein I'd recommend at least 1g of protein per pound body weight. Also you're fats are really high, I'd try to cut that down and add either more carbs or proteins. It's really hard to say why your not getting your reps. Proteins are a building block for muscles, make sure you're getting enough.
    Right on, I'll definitely start logging that. A side question in relation to your statement about fats... I'm a hard gainer, I burn through calories like crazy, and my understanding of macros is still very limited. Given I am naturally very lean, would it still be a good idea to limit fats through my bulking phase?

mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Your max was 5 reps? Only hitting 4 doesn't necessarily mean you've digressed. I was knocking out 12 a few months ago, now I can only do 10 because I'm on a serious bulk and have gained >15 lbs (mostly blubber but IDGAF) since then. I count that weight gain as progressive overload on my pullups :P I also work on doing them with strict form and like to think that I'm progressing in that goal, so I don't worry if the reps don't change. They will in time. You just gotta keep doing them, you're not going to be a flying squirrel in 3 months of doing pullups. It took me a long time before I could do 10 reps. Just make sure you're starting from a completely dead-hang, and try to pull your chest to the bar (don't just stop when your chin is over it).

Originally Posted by CrystalB2011 View Post
    What kind of protein? It can make a huge difference...
    I try to attain protein the paleo route: Chicken, fish, eggs, black beans, brown rice, nuts/seeds, raw peanut butter, and milk. I've very recently supplemented "Optimum Nutrition: Gold Standard Whey" and I take two scoops (protein 48g) a day.

thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Krovos View Post
    Right on, I'll definitely start logging that. A side question in relation to your statement about fats... I'm a hard gainer, I burn through calories like crazy, and my understanding of macros is still very limited. Given I am naturally very lean, would it still be a good idea to limit fats through my bulking phase?
    Not sure why you'd limit your fats at all. You should read the nutrition stickies.
    Brevity is the soul of wit.

Originally Posted by mikschu View Post
    Your max was 5 reps? Only hitting 4 doesn't necessarily mean you've digressed. I was knocking out 12 a few months ago, now I can only do 10 because I'm on a serious bulk and have gained >15 lbs (mostly blubber but IDGAF) since then. I count that weight gain as progressive overload on my pullups :P I also work on doing them with strict form and like to think that I'm progressing in that goal, so I don't worry if the reps don't change. They will in time. You just gotta keep doing them, you're not going to be a flying squirrel in 3 months of doing pullups. It took me a long time before I could do 10 reps. Just make sure you're starting from a completely dead-hang, and try to pull your chest to the bar (don't just stop when your chin is over it).
    Thank you for the advice! It would make sense that I haven't progressed, because being new to body weight exercise, I'm sure my form has been way off. Cheers!

Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Im no expert but 2,500 calories seem very low for someone your height.

Originally Posted by Yotone View Post
    Im no expert but 2,500 calories seem very low for someone your height.
    I'm cetainly not an expert either, obviously haha ; I'm just going off what my app tells me. I'm using "MyFitnessPal" and it takes into consideration: age, weight, height, activity level, goal weight, and macros. Although with my new macros, it is recommending 2600 calories to meet my body weight in protein grams.

IronFrank95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi! Try to increase your calories intake and do teh 1xmax every day for 2-3 week

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're gaining weight, pullups will get harder bc your body is heavier.

If you're losing weight, pullups will get harder bc you are losing muscle.

Paradox? Maybe. You should be gaining strength on pullups during a bulk.

azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You are only doing 8-10 chins total per workout. You are doing 30-40 pushups and 60+ dips per workout. I would try increasing the number of chinup sets so you get more volume in. Instead of doing 3 sets to failure, try doing as many sets of 2-3 as you can. I have better luck with chinups if I don't ever go to failure. If I take a set to failure, the number of reps I can get on my next sets drop way down. Focus on increasing total reps per workout, regardless of how many sets it takes.

Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    From looking at your log I really don't see an much increase or decrease in reps over this short 2 week period. I have stalled before, many people here have too and what you have in you log is more or less a stall.

So first I would make sure you're eating a surplus of calories. How much surplus is hard to say.

Second, like the poster above mentioned, try increasing your workout volume (do more sets of pull-ups and/or other lat exercises). Lats are a big muscle that typically need a lot of stimulation to grow.