Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    To impress other dudes. Unfortunately I don't think its working.
    "Sammiches are like sets of 20 rep squats; if you need a second one, the first one wasn't heavy enough." - DuracellBunny

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by InternetTuffGuy View Post
    To impress other dudes.

Last edited by mtpockets; 02-05-2015 at 02:37 AM.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It makes me feel good and makes me feel good about myself. What other reason does one need?

It makes me look better as well, which is a nice benefit. That may be why I started, but the reasons above are why I am hooked and why I continue.
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I saw a meme once, of an empty stroller in front of a sepia tone barren field. It said one day your parents put you down and never picked you up again.

This isn't my only reason, but on days when I'm tired or not wanting to get the last set, it crosses my mind.

My kids are all still young, but I want that day to be as far in the future as possible.

MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tamu2005 View Post
    I saw a meme once, of an empty stroller in front of a sepia tone barren field. It said one day your parents put you down and never picked you up again.

This isn't my only reason, but on days when I'm tired or not wanting to get the last set, it crosses my mind.

My kids are all still young, but I want that day to be as far in the future as possible.

This is me too. My 53 pound 6 year old told me the other day that he loves that I still pick him up.

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by viccles007 View Post
    It gave me an outlet when I was writing my PhD.
    Gee, I wish I had been that smart!

Lean, mean, geek machine

All my PRs are history HoustonTXMuscle's Avatar
    HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    To make all the under 75 guys in the gym envious. Especially those that can't do 3 sets of pull-ups.

No seriously, I have to agree with what DocHoss above (yesterday's post). Additionally, from a personal standpoint, I've had to care for an ailing wife who has had 4 surgeries since late October and it's made me appreciate the fact that being in good health has made my life much easier.
    Inactivity Kills!!!

My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140991491 Age is NOT an acceptable excuse.

Played with dinosaurs as a child. Back then everyone was thin; it was a matter of out-running the raptors or being one of their meals.

randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by reddog140 View Post
    I train so I can put on the smallest pair of underwear possible, hike em up my a$$, get greased up, stand up in front of hundreds of people, and be judged by 6-12 people, some of whom have never done the same, often get shafted in the process, and maybe get a trophy that costs all of $10, often spending thousands in the process.

Nah seriously, I train to improve upon my last presentation, have people stare, and to take my mind of crap.
    Great post!! lots of lols.
    5-9 @ 205
    Knee Draggers Crew

Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So I can take up more space and having a larger carbon footprint. I eat therefore I am.
    Giving unwanted advice to gym goers for years.

randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomous is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I do it because it has become part of my identity. I have developed a negative connection in my head to physical weakness. I choose to be in a constant state of soreness over being scrawny or weak. I am also trying to reach an arbitrary bench press number which will probably add no value to my life. But everybody needs a goal right?
    5-9 @ 205
    Knee Draggers Crew

Dawginit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dawginit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dawginit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dawginit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dawginit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dawginit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dawginit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dawginit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dawginit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dawginit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dawginit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Scotto7 View Post
    Hello!

Back into it in the build up to the sports season starting May.

Am slightly out of shape, about 10lbs I'd say, hovering at 185lbs and probably 5% worse bodyfat. Am about 182cm. I'd say I'm sitting around 17*-/20% BF right now. I had a reality check recently. A friend of my who is absolutely ripped and *looked* about 9%, went and had the Dexa Bodyscan, and it set him at 13%. Now, this guy has a lean body, 8 pack, and recently placed top 5 in a fitness model comp, so it was revealing. Based on that, I'd actually say I'm 20%. I was measured at 11% in 2013 by an exercise physio who used the 8 measurement-caliper method, and I didn't look close to as ripped as my buddy. Anyway, I digress!

I know there's a motivation section, but I'm wondering how us over-35's manage to maintain motivation.

-I'm married, so I've got the girl
    -I'm perfectly capable of playing my chosen sport to a high club standard with my current fitness
    - I've got a blend of stamina and strength which is higher on average than people of my age that I hang about with.

I tend to struggle to keep that consistent motivation after 4 weeks of strong training. I tend to find that for a short while the following keeps me motivated:

- *LOOK* physically great compared to people of my age
    - Kinda compete with fit people who are 10 years younger in the physique department

But....they're both superficial reasons and there comes a point where I think *why bother*, normally after abt a month.

Future health hardly factors into it when I draw up my list of reasons for *keeping it up*.

One thing that does work , is hating the idea of slipping into that middle-aged soft under-bellied, haunched shoulder, desk-jockey look that is creeping into a lot of the people I work with.....if only I could package that *feeling* and help it to keep consistency!

What are people out there's main motivations for keeping the intensity going post 35 and how do you remind yourself of the reasons why?!? Pictures stuck up around your bedroom? focussed goals?

S

One thing I do to keep it interesting is to change my routine about every 4 months and come up with a new set of goals in that routine to reach. It keeps me focused on the short term and not satisfied with where I am currently. It is easy to get satisfied after you reach a certain level that you are happy with, but like most things you are either pushing forward of going backwards. You can never be totally satisfied. You can be happy with what you have accomplished, but then you have to say what's next? How far can I go?
    "All things are difficult before they are easy."

Jaydubu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I train because of its physical and mental benefits. Life is so much better when I feel good.

10fairywings is on a distinguished road. (+10) 10fairywings is on a distinguished road. (+10) 10fairywings is on a distinguished road. (+10) 10fairywings is on a distinguished road. (+10) 10fairywings is on a distinguished road. (+10) 10fairywings is on a distinguished road. (+10) 10fairywings is on a distinguished road. (+10) 10fairywings is on a distinguished road. (+10) 10fairywings is on a distinguished road. (+10) 10fairywings is on a distinguished road. (+10) 10fairywings is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I started bodybuilding in my early 30's and never looked back, then it was all about a new time in my life after divorce with young children and a life to look forward to. It made me feel good about me. And for once it was about me no one else, something for me. Then I was ill for years (long story) anyway I've been back at it for a year, and OMG! Am I happy! I've got me back. Doctors said I'd never be able to do it again and here I am doing it thank heavens. After a long long time of feeling like poo it is the best thing in the World to be able to do it again. Sometimes I don't think you can truly value something unless it's been taken away. Also slightly off beam but I have been through some horrid times over the passed 2 years and I'm left feeling angry sometimes, going to the gym and lifting like a loony gets rid of that and leaves me feeling released. Like others have said, it stops you thinking the **** stuff. Being a female also, one of my pet hates is being invited out and having to try on every dress in my wardrobe to see which looks the best, I like to just decide what I'm going to wear and know it looks ok. I know people my age with weight related problems and I am so happy I am not in that position. You are still young, but I don't think you can do it for anyone else but yourself. Like someone said above, you have to love it. I love it, I am obsessed, I am addicted and I don't care what other people think about that, there are certainly worse things to be obsessed and addicted to.
    Don't look back!

Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I train so men don't kick sand in my face at the beach.

They still do, but I've got better reflexes now and can block it before it gets in my mouth.
    Last edited by Coolkayaker1; 02-08-2015 at 02:27 AM.
    Thanks for your support and advice. --Sven

Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 10fairywings View Post
    I started bodybuilding in my early 30's and never looked back, then it was all about a new time in my life after divorce with young children and a life to look forward to. It made me feel good about me. And for once it was about me no one else, something for me. Then I was ill for years (long story) anyway I've been back at it for a year, and OMG! Am I happy! I've got me back. Doctors said I'd never be able to do it again and here I am doing it thank heavens. After a long long time of feeling like poo it is the best thing in the World to be able to do it again. Sometimes I don't think you can truly value something unless it's been taken away. Also slightly off beam but I have been through some horrid times over the passed 2 years and I'm left feeling angry sometimes, going to the gym and lifting like a loony gets rid of that and leaves me feeling released. Like others have said, it stops you thinking the **** stuff. Being a female also, one of my pet hates is being invited out and having to try on every dress in my wardrobe to see which looks the best, I like to just decide what I'm going to wear and know it looks ok. I know people my age with weight related problems and I am so happy I am not in that position. You are still young, but I don't think you can do it for anyone else but yourself. Like someone said above, you have to love it. I love it, I am obsessed, I am addicted and I don't care what other people think about that, there are certainly worse things to be obsessed and addicted to.
    Thanks for sharing. Don't know what happened Un the past couple years, but hope it's over, whatever it is. You seem very kind from your posts, fairy.
    Thanks for your support and advice. --Sven

Originally Posted by 10fairywings View Post
    Really glad you are doing better now and back to lifting! It's nice to feel good.

Lean, mean, geek machine

dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I train because I've realized that it is core to who I am as person. I don't feel mentally or physically content without some kind of intense focused physical activity in my life. I was a very athletic kid and young adult. Then I started working and my career kinda took over and I just stopped training for many years. When I finally got back into the gym it honestly felt like falling in love again. I remembered who I really was and found a part of myself that I had lost. As crazy as it sounds, that first year back was an incredibly intense and emotional experience for me.

Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I started just for general fitness. I've been a runner for many years and figured if I was going to be big and fat anyway, I might as well be strong. Haven't gotten there yet. Most years I've just goofed around with dumbbell upper-body stuff.

The past 1.5 years my son and I have both gotten more into it. He's a high D1 level college decathlete who is 230 lbs, can hit his head on a basketball rim, and cleans over 300 lbs. It's become a hobby that we talk about. The free gym at the college where I work is closed on holiday breaks and stuff and I joined another gym mostly to give us someplace we can work out together when he's home on breaks.

BrandonBB2014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonBB2014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonBB2014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonBB2014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonBB2014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonBB2014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonBB2014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonBB2014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonBB2014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonBB2014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonBB2014 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lots of years worth of video games and now a desk job... I felt I was turning into a bloated piece of crap. I still have a long way to go until I reach my goals of weighing more with less fat. Every day I don't miss is a day I'm closer to my goal I guess... so I just keep going, keep adjusting my calories higher, trying to find my balance. Lately I've been anticipating going, as if I'm bored when I'm not there.

JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So many reasons!

Plain old health is a big one. The only times in my adult life when I've been free of back pain have been when I was training heavy. Squats, deadlifts, good mornings -- or pain killers and muscle relaxers. I'd rather lift heavy stuff than take pills.

Same thing with depression: if I hit the iron 3 or 4 times a week, I'm much less prone to depression.

Preparation for real life:

Sometimes something heavy needs to be moved. I will be damned if I'm going to wait for some kid to come move it!

Not to mention that my lovely wife likes me fit and muscley.