Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Offered a promotion - should I sign the new contract. Your thoughts?

I work at a PT studio here in Sydney. Been here since '08. Been in the industry as a whole since '05. Prior to this studio, I was doing the mobile/independent gig for my own business. Those who understand small community PT studios understand that you get paid fractions of the "session rate/package", don't have to do the marketing or search for prospects, and don't have to pay any rent. I've brought a ton of clients to the studio over the years and am very active with social media for the brand. Besides the owner, i'm the longest standing employee at this studio.

I'm goin to get really specific for those who are good at numbers and the finances behind the fitness business. I'm looking for thoughts on whether i'm backed into a corner or if this is politics to try to squeeze me out.

Contract til this point: employee/floor/PT, no end date, can leave at any time with notice
    Set floor hours per week: 18hrs @ $20 p/h
    Whatever extra PTs I do: roughly 15hrs @ $38 p/h (on a busy week that is)
    Typical week (for argument's sake): $930 for a 33hr work week

New contract offered: studio manager/PT, no end date, can leave at any time with notice, 12 week initial trial period
    Hours per week regardless: 37.5hrs
    Set weekly salary regardless: $847 (after tax)
    (regardless of what the ratio of "desk work" vs. "PT work" is over that 37.5hrs)

Obviously it's New Year's and all the newbies start and old timers return after their holidays. We have new programs approaching (lead capturing). These first few weeks back from my own holidays, i've noticed a massive increase in my own PT hours, less desk time, and if I sign this contract, will obviously have more responsibilities on top of that.

What I'm worried about - doing say 20-25hrs of PTs, minimal desk time (but with extra duties), for a set salary... when individually it tallies up to more than $300 i'm losing per week working this current schedule.

If PTs die down, the positive is that i'm still guaranteed that set salary regardless of what happens. I'm the only one offered this type of contract.

In-studio, i'm seen as the more experienced trainer (no big-noting, their words). People demand to train with me in some cases, which is extremely flattering but schedules don't often allow. I put energy and passion into my sessions and programming, and don't "wing it". I sweat and get more of a workout than some clients in some sessions due to the running around and physical nature setting up and demo'ing etc. requires. I'm the only "weights guy" in the studio. Majority of staff are marathon runners and don't understand my game. Different niches targeted than my liking, but I can work with that. I'm versatile and unbiased. So because people see my passion, new people often want to be scheduled with me (I want to cap my PT hours each week but owner doesn't agree) and the other trainer's are left with nothing to do a lot of the time.

If I don't sign, the hypothetical is that he'll bring in another person completely to do the role, and my hours in my original position would be lessened (which I think is a massive spit in the face to my loyalty).

From his perspective, he's getting a bloody good deal if I am booked 75% with PTs and minimal time for the new/more roles i'll be taking on at reception. He recently opened up another studio close by (crossfit box) and is focusing on that, hence his need to offer me this new contract as manager. From my perspective, i'm getting a good deal if business dies down one day or if PT hours are lessened. I've tried to hand over some clients to other staff members over the past few days which isn't making this guy happy (even when my new schedule doesn't allow). As new manager, I would naturally want to fill up my staff's roster FIRST, then my own. That's my mindset, but seems as if he's still trying to extend my PT hours because in a lot of cases i'm the only one here/available. I want to hand over SOME clients in order to make my working week "worthwhile" by the numbers.

There's also a "bonus" offered to me if the studio (total) reaches 50hrs+ of PT per week. Like $50-100 extra. However, since often the other trainer's aren't available at certain times, it'll be physically impossible to reach those weekly targets. Other staff have their own mini-fitness businesses and their own commitments. I'm the most available and naturally work the longest hours of the 4 of us. Often, there's only 1 staff member at a time. Regardless if we're doing a PT session or manning reception.

Potential for glass ceiling? Is he playing politics? Is it reasonable?

I'm 30. Rent my own house, have my own car, independent in all those aspects. My housemate is moving out this weekend and I'll be moving house in 2 months. Can't live with minimal weekly income at any time.

Thoughts please? Life changing decisions and i'm dragging out the signing. Pros, cons etc.
    Last edited by Simmo0508; 01-13-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The one advantage in the promotion is you are 'off the bottom'. The bottom is where the owners start 'sweeping out' when business goes bad. Also, you can always make a little extra on the side training a few clients too, off the books. Plus, you will have more power to implement new ideas, things you think may help overall sales.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would never be considered "in the bottom" at any point though. I've been here almost just as long as the company's been around, and am aware of what goes on within the studio more than the other 4. If business were to go bad, there'd be about 3 people let go before i'd be considered. If all his staff were let go, he'd be on his own. Our studio can't manage that, especially since he just opened a new crossfit box a few months ago (where it's just him). Our studio is open 15hrs a day.

The studio is doing well and in the future I don't see it going out of business or anything similar.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In that case, I probably would take the job if it were me. If the guy opens up a new place, this thing could turn into something really good. You never know. You sometimes have to take a step back (financially) in order to take a couple forward.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.