Thread: squat struggle

Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

squat struggle

Hello everyone

I am currently doing squats whilst doing stronglifts. I am at week 7 and started to really struggle. I am 6ft 5 with 23inch legs (taken from middle of Thigh) very skinny. 220lbs as it stands attempting my first bulk

I have increased my squat to 193lbs/ 87.5kg.I am holding the weight fine and lowering to slightly below parallel, I have a wide stance slightly wider than my shoulders, toes pointed slightly out. I am finding it hard now at the first push back up to standing!

Ne thing which could help me? I have just upped my cals from 2700 to 3000 to see if this helps. Currently eating lb protein per bw, then rest distributed between carbs and fats

Supplementing on multi vit, started creatine today and occasional whey shake.

SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Prestonion View Post
    Hello everyone

I am currently doing squats whilst doing stronglifts. I am at week 7 and started to really struggle. I am 6ft 5 with 23inch legs (taken from middle of Thigh) very skinny. 220lbs as it stands attempting my first bulk

I have increased my squat to 193lbs/ 87.5kg.I am holding the weight fine and lowering to slightly below parallel, I have a wide stance slightly wider than my shoulders, toes pointed slightly out. I am finding it hard now at the first push back up to standing!

Ne thing which could help me? I have just upped my cals from 2700 to 3000 to see if this helps. Currently eating lb protein per bw, then rest distributed between carbs and fats

How long you been struggling for? by hard what do you mean? Hard as in you go to push up but you can't get the weight up? Or is it just hard as in the things seem a little heavier and you can't do as many reps?

Quite a few things you can try.

Without ergogenic aids
    Negatives
    Try lowering the weight by 5kg and get a more reps out

With ergogenic aids
    Try using bands:
    222.jpg
    Try parallel squats:
    3333.jpg
    Try weighted belt squats like the below
    111.jpg111.jpg

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "A crowded elevator alway smell different to midget" - Sum Ting Wong (2012).

"Man who run behind car get exhausted" - Hung Lo (2010).

tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Your form sounds decent (without seeing it), but it sounds like you have hit the wall and need a deload. Drop 10% and work yourself back up.

Chocolate nipples of peac Muzzlrpress's Avatar
    Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That's because coming out of the hole is the hardest part of squatting. You'll seldom see someone fail a squat halfway up, which is exactly why so many squat shallow; its easier if you don't reach depth.

Keep on trucking and invest in a belt. This chit won't feel any lighter ever.
    ***The Misadventires of Gandalf the Black***
    **Best Meet Lifts***/***Best Gym Lifts*** (strength status: retired)
    S/457.5 ~ 465x3
    B/325 ~ 315x5/350x1
    D/512.6 ~ 495x3
    ***Big Dock Crew***
    ***Block Crew***
    ***High Tast Crew***
    ***2022 Aesthetics Crew***
    ***Chess Crew***
    ***I have chosen violence***

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    try box squats for awhile, see if that doesn't help you.

Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prestonion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cheers for advice guys... Well yesterday i did 5, 5, 3, 5, 5. I have the stronglifts app and this has told me to do same weight again. Yes coming out the hole is the hard bit getting the weight back up, fine when half way up.

I have just deloadded by 10% my pb so far is 95kg. Will I see a big difference when using a belt? I understand it helps engage your core more? Really want to crack 100kg mark.

I also have a fear of failure incase I drop it, the gym has a rack but because am tall you can't adjust the bars so I'd have to drop it a few inches.

tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Cheers for advice guys... Well yesterday i did 5, 5, 3, 5, 5. I have the stronglifts app and this has told me to do same weight again. Yes coming out the hole is the hard bit getting the weight back up, fine when half way up.

I have just deloadded by 10% my pb so far is 95kg. Will I see a big difference when using a belt? I understand it helps engage your core more? Really want to crack 100kg mark.

I also have a fear of failure incase I drop it, the gym has a rack but because am tall you can't adjust the bars so I'd have to drop it a few inches.
    do your research before sticking a belt on.

cogliati is on a distinguished road. (+10) cogliati is on a distinguished road. (+10) cogliati is on a distinguished road. (+10) cogliati is on a distinguished road. (+10) cogliati is on a distinguished road. (+10) cogliati is on a distinguished road. (+10) cogliati is on a distinguished road. (+10) cogliati is on a distinguished road. (+10) cogliati is on a distinguished road. (+10) cogliati is on a distinguished road. (+10) cogliati is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you gaining weight? I'm bulking (gaining 1/2 lb per week) at 3500 cal per day and I'm only 6'-1", 180lbs. Sounds like your calories might be too low.

Yes I have a sedentary job sat in a office all day. I am keeping an eye on it. Stuck at 220 for a while so upped to 3000 and I'll adjust of I need to after 3 weeks. Problem is I have the same measurements from when I started at the start of december and have gained 10 lbs. I have a starter picture so I'll have get some pics to see if bulk is wearing

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Are you doing low bar or high bar

If high bar, is your air squat (no weight, no bar) perfect and fast?

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hello everyone

tall guy like you to squat in the best way you need to squat differently than most people..

what you need to do is post a video of your squat , keep in mind squats are hard , they are supposed to be hard but without a video any advice is useless…. remember, no advice is better than bad advice
    I suggest you pst a video in the PL section and not in here
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

Low bar currently, my air squat is fast and assume perfect. I started off with just the bar to ensure best form. Adding 2.5 Kg a session. 7.5 kg a week.

I will get my dad to record me at the gym tomorrow, probably the best idea. I here conflicting things about tall guys squatting, but in wsm final the tall guys struggled

MericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's gonna take time! As said above, they're supposed to be hard. I would deload and try some box or pause squats to work on the sticking point. Focus on coming out of the bottom of the lift with speed. I mean EXPLODE out of hole.