Cochran1845 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Benching Advice Needed (Long Read)

Hopefully this is in the right section (TL;DR at the bottom)

So I've been lifting for about a year and I've built a decent strength base.
    Age - 21
    Height - 6 ft
    Weight - 200 lbs
    Squat - 380 lbs (Good Form)
    Deadlift - 400 lbs (Good Form)
    Bench - I'll get to that in a moment

So anyways, for the year I've been lifting, I've kind of jumped around programs, never keeping one for more than say 2 months. When I started, I just jumped into it without research, a real plan, or leg days (I was a ***it I know). Random upper body days, including terrible bench form, made up my routine, if you can call it that. It wasn't until about 3-4 months in that I started actually including leg days and researching bodybuilding and lifting information. My legs blew by my upper body, mainly (I think) because of steady progression with good form.

My bench is another story. As I said, I started benching with bad form and continued with it, ignorantly thinking it was decent form. The most I've ever 1RM was 250, but again, terrible, terrible form. I mean, butt off the bench, bar 1 1/2 - 2 inches off my chest, elbows flared bad form. It's amazing I haven't injured myself. Additionally, I know that my bench progress will never continue without the right movement.

So my question is, should I basically drop down a ton in weight and basically relearn the correct movement, or is there another way of fixing the problem. Also, I really don't know what kind of routine would fit my profile, so any advice on that would be appreciated as well.

TL;DR Bench form sucks badly, should I restart with lower weight to relearn the bench movement? Also, in need of program to help me with bench problem. (I was thinking 5/3/1)

Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Cochran1845 View Post
    Hopefully this is in the right section (TL;DR at the bottom)

So I've been lifting for about a year and I've built a decent strength base.
    Age - 21
    Height - 6 ft
    Weight - 200 lbs
    Squat - 380 lbs (Good Form)
    Deadlift - 400 lbs (Good Form)
    Bench - I'll get to that in a moment

So anyways, for the year I've been lifting, I've kind of jumped around programs, never keeping one for more than say 2 months. When I started, I just jumped into it without research, a real plan, or leg days (I was a ***it I know). Random upper body days, including terrible bench form, made up my routine, if you can call it that. It wasn't until about 3-4 months in that I started actually including leg days and researching bodybuilding and lifting information. My legs blew by my upper body, mainly (I think) because of steady progression with good form.

My bench is another story. As I said, I started benching with bad form and continued with it, ignorantly thinking it was decent form. The most I've ever 1RM was 250, but again, terrible, terrible form. I mean, butt off the bench, bar 1 1/2 - 2 inches off my chest, elbows flared bad form. It's amazing I haven't injured myself. Additionally, I know that my bench progress will never continue without the right movement.

So my question is, should I basically drop down a ton in weight and basically relearn the correct movement , or is there another way of fixing the problem. Also, I really don't know what kind of routine would fit my profile, so any advice on that would be appreciated as well.

TL;DR Bench form sucks badly, should I restart with lower weight to relearn the bench movement? Also, in need of program to help me with bench problem. (I was thinking 5/3/1)
    Seems like you're onto something here. Definitely a good start.
    "When my opponent contracts, I expand. And when he expands, I contract.
    And when the opportunity arrives, *looks at clenched fist* I do not hit with it. It hits all by itself"-Bruce Lee
    ---------------------------------------------------
    If you're hungry.....it's too late.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would suggest resetting the weight and form and slowly work back up. Now, since you've built up a foundation with bad form, it is going to be extra hard to work on the better form, as when you start to fail, you'll probably naturally shift towards the bad form to complete the reps. You'll probably be fighting with yourself and have to remind yourself to cut off the sets when you're failing with the good form.

This video is excellent when it comes to teaching proper bench press, IMO. I'd suggest watching it often and just be patient as you reset your bench form:

As far as routine, anything with higher frequency would probably be suitable. If nothing else, make your own routine that include two bench days. It doesn't even have to be high volume both days, perhaps on the 2nd day, the only chest work you do is a round of flat bench. You can have both days heavier or one day heavy and one day moderate.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    I would suggest resetting the weight and form and slowly work back up. Now, since you've built up a foundation with bad form, it is going to be extra hard to work on the better form, as when you start to fail, you'll probably naturally shift towards the bad form to complete the reps. You'll probably be fighting with yourself and have to remind yourself to cut off the sets when you're failing with the good form.

This video is excellent when it comes to teaching proper bench press, IMO. I'd suggest watching it often and just be patient as you reset your bench form:

As far as routine, anything with higher frequency would probably be suitable. If nothing else, make your own routine that include two bench days. It doesn't even have to be high volume both days, perhaps on the 2nd day, the only chest work you do is a round of flat bench. You can have both days heavier or one day heavy and one day moderate.
    ^^This. Reset your weight, check your form and build up again slowly. Reps.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "A crowded elevator alway smell different to midget" - Sum Ting Wong (2012).

"Man who run behind car get exhausted" - Hung Lo (2010).

thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    +1 to resetting your weight and checking your form. You can also bench 2x a week to really hit that form. Another tip is to make sure you treat every single set the same, whether it's the warm up with the bar or your top working set. I think this is true for every compound lift but for some reason it seems people skip over this with bench more than the other 2.
    Brevity is the soul of wit.

tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What everyone else stated. You best course of action is to start over at ground zero... work on your form and slowly add the weight, ensuring you keep strict form. The numbers are meaningless if you end up hurting yourself or don't benefit from the lift.