Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Everydang u do is balloon 20Mavs11's Avatar
    20Mavs11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 20Mavs11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 20Mavs11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 20Mavs11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 20Mavs11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 20Mavs11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 20Mavs11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 20Mavs11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 20Mavs11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 20Mavs11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 20Mavs11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hard work will get you nowhere if it isn't directed in the right place. There can be a single mother who works 3 jobs. Doesn't mean she'll be a 10k ceo a week because of it.

The key is PASSION. You know that passion you had when you were 12 years old and you played (Insert famous game here). The game you invested thousands of hours into? Yeah, that passion. IF you can recreate that combination of chemicals towards something that is profitable, you can easily be rich. The issue is most people don't know or have a passion. They spend their entire life looking for one.
    [Dallas Cowboys][Dallas Mavericks][Texas Rangers][TCU*NCAA][DFW Crew]
    [Law of Attraction Crew]

There are glowies on the misc now. Don't fall for the bait.

triception has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) triception has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) triception has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) triception has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) triception has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) triception has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) triception has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) triception has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) triception has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) triception has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) triception has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Relevant:

Originally Posted by Ian Welsh

You also didn’t earn most of it.

It seems like every time I discuss taxation, some libertarian will waltz in and say: “It’s my money and I don’t see why the government should be able to take it.”

So let’s run through why, no, it isn’t your money. We’ll start with two numbers. The income per capita for the US in 2005 was $43,740. The income per capita for Bangladesh was $470.

Now I want you to ask yourself the following question: Are Bangladeshis genetically inferior to Americans? Since not too many of my readers think white sheets look great at a lynching, I’ll assume everyone answered no.

Right then, being American is worth $43,270 more than being Bangladeshi and it’s not due to Americans being superior human beings. If it isn’t because Americans are superior, then what is it?

The answer is that if it isn’t individual, it must be social. On the individual but still social level, Americans are in fact smarter than Bangladeshis because as children they are far less likely to suffer from malnutrition. However not suffering from malnutrition when you’re a baby, toddler or young child has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the society you live in and your family–two things over which you have zero influence (perhaps you chose your mother, I didn’t!).

Bangladeshis won’t, on average, get as good an education. They won’t get as much education either, since every child is needed to help earn a living as soon as possible. For most Bangladeshis, there’s no room for the extended childhood and adolescence to which westerners have grown accustomed, which often stretches into the late twenties or even early thirties, amongst those seeking Ph.Ds or becoming doctors or lawyers.

When a Bangladeshi grows up, the jobs available aren’t as good. If he or she starts a business, it will earn much less money than the equivalent American business. If he or she speculates in land and is very successful, the speculation will generate much less wealth than in America.

One could go on and on. I trust the point is obvious—the vast majority of money that an American earns is due to being born an American. Certainly the qualities that make America a good place to live and a good place to make money are things that were created by Americans, but mostly they were created by Americans long dead or they are created by all Americans working together and are not located in the individual.

The same is true of the really rich. Forbes keeps track of the world’s billionaires and almost half of them are in the US. This is because US society and the US government in particular, is set up to create billionaires. Your odds of being a billionaire take a massive jump if you’re born in the US. Your odds of being a billionaire if you’re born in Bangladesh? Essentially zero. Now one could point out that billionaires are still so rare that the odds are always essentially zero; how many billionaires in your circle of friends? Nonetheless, in 2005, the US had 371. Coming in second, Germany had 55.

Bangladesh, you won’t be surprised to hear, had zero.

If you’re a billionaire in the US, you’re a billionaire in large part because you live in the US.

So, if you’re American, a large chunk of the reason you make a lot of money (relative to the rest of the world) is that you are American. The main cause of your relative wealth is not that you work hard or that you’re innately smarter than members of other nations (though you may be since you weren’t starved as a child). It’s because you were afforded opportunities that most people never had and those opportunities existed due to the pure accident of your birth or because you or your family chose to come to the US. The same is true of most first world nations.

Immigrants understand this very well. There’s a reason why Mexicans, for example, are willing to risk death to cross the border. Their average income is $7,310, compared to the US average income of $43,740. They won’t make up all the difference just by crossing the border, but they’ll make up enough that it’s more than worth it. They haven’t personally changed, they don’t suddenly work harder now that they’re across the border. They don’t suddenly become smarter or stronger. They just change where they live and suddenly the opportunities open to them are so much better, their income goes up.

So let’s bring this back to our typical libertarian with his whine that he earned his money and the government shouldn’t be allowed to take it away. He didn’t earn most of it. Most of it is because, in global terms, he was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. This doesn’t mean he hasn’t had to work for it, but it does mean that most of the value of his work has nothing to do with him (and Ayn Rand aside, it’s almost always a him).

Now, in a democratic society, a government is the vehicle through which the population, as a whole, chooses to organize collective action. Government, imperfect as it is, is the closest approximation to the “will of society” that we’ve got.

Because the majority of the money any American earns is a function of being American, and the result of their own individual virtues, the government has the moral right to tax. And because those who are rich get more from being American than those who are poor, it also has the moral right to take more money from them.

More importantly than the moral right, government has the pragmatic duty to do so. The roads and bridges that government builds and maintains, the schools that it funds, the police and courts that keep the peace, the investment in R&D that produced the internet, the sewage systems that make real estate speculation possible, and on and on, are a huge chunk of what makes being American worth so much more than being a Bangladeshi. Failure to reinvest in both human and inanimate infrastructure is like killing the golden goose, and America, for decades now, has not been properly maintaining its infrastructure, let alone building it up.

And money itself is something that government provides for its people. It’s not your money, it’s America’s money and it’s a damn good thing too. If you don’t believe me, try issuing your own money and see how many people accept it. Some will, because when an individual issues money, it’s an IOU (which is essentially what money is). I’ve written a few in my life. In every case, the person I gave it to was less happy to receive it than he would have been to get some nice crisp dollars. And I rested my IOUs on dollars, that is, I promised to repay in my country’s currency. Barring the use of accepted currencies, you’d have to issue an IOU saying: “I will repay you with a bundle of rice.” Or gold or a service. This raises the question of enforcement (one thing even libertarians admit the government should do): What if I suddenly refuse to meet the conditions of the IOU? Even an IOU is based on the sanction of the government–if it isn’t, it’s worth only as much as the good will of the person issuing it or the strong arm of the person holding it.

So no, it isn’t your money and it’s a good thing it isn’t. And while you may have worked your butt off for it, you also didn’t earn most of it. The value you impute to yourself (“I’m worth my 80K salary”) is mostly a function of where you live, where you were born, and of who your parents are.

http://www.ianwelsh.net/it’s-not-your-money/
    Green Tea Crew

Meditation Crew

LaCroix Crew

WannaBeSwolee will become famous soon enough. (+50) WannaBeSwolee will become famous soon enough. (+50) WannaBeSwolee will become famous soon enough. (+50) WannaBeSwolee will become famous soon enough. (+50) WannaBeSwolee will become famous soon enough. (+50) WannaBeSwolee will become famous soon enough. (+50) WannaBeSwolee will become famous soon enough. (+50) WannaBeSwolee will become famous soon enough. (+50) WannaBeSwolee will become famous soon enough. (+50) WannaBeSwolee will become famous soon enough. (+50) WannaBeSwolee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DATNEWNEWNEW View Post
    Hard work is one of those things that everyone says is the keys to success, but that is complete bullchit.

Everyone I've ever known in life that has come into money, has done it through some easy scheme/hustle, that you don't find out the specifics about until later. The foundation of the business relies on tricks that other people don't know about.

Your closest friends & family will keep secrets from you that could help you for no reason other than that they can't stand to see you get ahead.

People will straight up lie, or forget about the advantages they had that led them to success.

People will use stims to work longer, but then brag about their 'work ethic,' etc

Cliffs:

If you're working hard, you're probably getting fcked over in some way.
    Wrong.

I worked my ass off while in school. Got 3 great internships that paid quite high, relatively speaking. It paid off all my loans and I managed to save up enough over the 4 years in college to even start my own business from home. I am now making several times the salary of a regular software engineer, and growing each year. Hardwork does pay off, but obviously you need to be smart about what you're doing as well.

momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    bring value to the world and you will make money op. There is a ton of ways to make money you just don't wanna do what it takes, it will take a long time to get wealthy working for someone else. Few things you can do, go to local shops, non corporate, see if they have social media or websites, offer a price on setting them up, and show them the advantages of having them. If you cant make the site yourself outsource it.

There is also websites they send you work orders based on your skills for example I look for IT work orders, such as password resets, re installs windows. Yeah you gotta go out and search, and be your own boss nobody gonna tale you to get up at 8am and check work orders or go to businesses to make offers.

Stop with your shtty convictions and start bringing value to others lives, and your life will thrive. Doesn't matter if your were born poor or rich life isn't fair sometimes you gotta go that extra mile to get the same results as someone else but you will love it all the more cause you worked hard to achieve something great.

now stfu and get to work.

DATNEWNEWNEW DATNEWNEWNEW DATNEWNEWNEW DATNEWNEWNEW DATNEWNEWNEW DATNEWNEWNEW DATNEWNEWNEW DATNEWNEWNEW DATNEWNEWNEW DATNEWNEWNEW DATNEWNEWNEW
    Originally Posted by 20Mavs11 View Post
    Hard work will get you nowhere if it isn't directed in the right place. There can be a single mother who works 3 jobs. Doesn't mean she'll be a 10k ceo a week because of it.

The key is PASSION. You know that passion you had when you were 12 years old and you played (Insert famous game here). The game you invested thousands of hours into? Yeah, that passion. IF you can recreate that combination of chemicals towards something that is profitable, you can easily be rich. The issue is most people don't know or have a passion. They spend their entire life looking for one.

you're living in fantasy land bro

big__chris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) big__chris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) big__chris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) big__chris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) big__chris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) big__chris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) big__chris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) big__chris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) big__chris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) big__chris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) big__chris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by UACdarknova View Post
    OP I agree with you for the most part.

It comes down to opportunity. Is opportunity the result of hard work? Sometimes, but more often than not it's luck.
    Luck of knowing the right people. Luck of being born into the right family. Luck of having parents who belong to the right echelons of society.

Some people destroy themselves slaving away working 'hard' for their whole life and will still never get ahead because they have the bad luck of never coming into the right opportunity.

Also the myth that everybody can succeed if they try hard enough is also a load of garbage. I see guys like Manny Koshbin on instagram posting **** like "if you believe it you can do it" - yeah easy to say when you're sitting on top of a real estate empire, and I'm sure he means well and that guy did rise up from nothing - but even so the notion that "anybody can do what i did!" is a lie. Many people will try and fail and go bankrupt trying to do what he did. Effort alone isn't a guarantee of success nor will it ever be.
    True to a point, but don't confuse the statement that "all people CAN do it" with "all people WILL do it"

It means that all people have the tools at their disposal. Whether they will apply themselves and work hard to see it through is another story
    *take sip of water after every set crew*

++ Positive Crew ++