Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User smoothcriminal3's Avatar
    smoothcriminal3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ironmaster Super Bench questions?

I'm about to purchase the 75lb quick locks and super bench. This is over my budget already, so I don't plan on buying any attachments at this time. My question is...Can you use decline with no ab attatchment to put your legs in?. Is this bench and dumbells worth the cost ?

throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by smoothcriminal3 View Post
    I'm about to purchase the 75lb quick locks and super bench. This is over my budget already, so I don't plan on buying any attachments at this time. My question is...Can you use decline with no ab attatchment to put your legs in?. Is this bench and dumbells worth the cost ?
    How's your local craiglist market? The Super Bench isn't a bad bench, but I don't think it's a great bench either. I feel like there should be a better bench at this price point but I can't think of one.

A few old posts:

Originally Posted by throwaway3441 View Post
    A few things to consider re the Super Bench:

- If you want to use a decline setting you'll probably have to purchase the crunch situp attachment.
    - It's a few inches taller than most benches.
    - Some of the attachments, like the chin up bar and the leg attachment, can be a little unstable.
    - The angle of its seat isn't adjustable. It will always be perpendicular to the bench.

If I had to do it all over again with your budget I'd look for something else.
    I also wish its pad was a little wider than 10.25". I'm not a big guy (6'0", 175lbs, fairly average build) but I find it hard to keep my scapulas retracted.

Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    Also, it rocks back and forward in the inclined positions though it's stable in flat. I've flipped a half dozen of these benches and they all had some movement in the incline position which couldn't be eliminated by tightening the adjustment mechanism. It's not a big deal but I found it annoying.
    Edit: Actually, that's the package deal which knocks about 7% off the price so the bench works out to... $296 shipped in the states. Better, but still not great. I really wish I'd spent a little more on a nicer bench.
    Last edited by throwaway3441; 01-07-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks for info...I'm getting package deal so think it's running me about 250-260. Any better benches at this price point..or should I roll with the super bench?÷---question for everyone

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've owned both and loved the db's for many many years, just sold them recently for a full set but the db's but the IM's always worked great and I never did any maintanance on them. They're an A+ adjustable db IMHO.

The bench I also have and still own, it's really just a a bench in the corner to put things on now, I have no clue why I haven't sold it yet lol, probably because I use it every now and then to do decline ab work with the leg attachment but other than that I've never liked it. Like Throwaway said above the bench is too narrow for me, I do have a pretty wide frame so perhaps that's not an issue for everyone but I prefer benches to be 12" wide. It's also way too tall, I don't feel like looking it up but I think it stands somewhere around 21" tall, again, for me personally the ideal bench height is around 17" so really in all aspects the bench has never been comfortable to me and if I had a chance to try it before I bought it long ago I never would have. It was a purchase made soley because I liked their db's so much I figured the bench would be great too. If you don't mind taller or narrow benches it might be worth a shot, it has a ton of adjustablility and attachments you can buy so in concept it is pretty cool just doesn't fit me at all.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #30 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #7 []---[]

Home gym pics:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1192814061&viewfull=1#post1192814061
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1198875921&viewfull=1#post1198875921
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1202033661&viewfull=1#post1202033661

Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That super bench is my biggest regret purchase. It's soft, it wobbles, sits too high. I only kept in for decline ab work like darkfact. Luckily I recently found an Icarian decline bench which feels like heaven compared to the IM. I guess my advice is keep looking for a used commercial bench or save up for Edge Transformer if you're short on space and require a jack of all trade bench

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    When I've used the Ironmaster Super Bench for doing decline presses, I've always locked my feet into the ab attachment.

I've been using both the bench and dumbbells for four years now. I still like them both.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

KB..do you think the bench is worth the money or are their better adjustable benches in that price range. .talking close to 325 or so with ab attachment and shipping and that's with the package deal.

erickovalsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just got my Superbench delivered. It seems good to me, particularly at its price point; I got the package with the dip and ab/decline attachments, along with one set of wheels.

I have a fairly small home exercise room that already has a Batca Fusion home gym and True Stridor, so the compact footprint and F/I/D capability were selling points. While it is a bit taller than other benches, I'm 6'2" (well at least with my Nikes on) so it isn't a problem.

I also was looking at the Hoist 3165 and Batca FZ-6 commercial benches. I don't see Ron Batca's line mentioned much here but it is very well designed. That Edge Transformer does look interesting... I had not seen it before - looks like an improved Super Bench type design.

For dumbbells, I'm am using the Powerblock U-90s which I really like. Tomorrow I'm picking up the stage III kit which takes them to 125 lbs; the latest stage III handles allow the full weight set (10-125) to be used unlike the older versions. The XXXL sets are apparently discontinued now.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    KB..do you think the bench is worth the money or are their better adjustable benches in that price range. .talking close to 325 or so with ab attachment and shipping and that's with the package deal.
    How tall are you?

One of the issues with the IM Super Bench is that it's a bit tall in the flat position. However, that's often the case for adjustable benches.

It's been a while since I've researched benches; there may be other benches that'll meet your needs, but I don't know what they are.

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Poordad View Post
    That super bench is my biggest regret purchase. It's soft, it wobbles, sits too high.
    I've said the exact words in the past. I absolutely hated the feel of this bench.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

â—‹---â—‹ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] â—‹---â—‹
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Originally Posted by Poordad View Post
    That super bench is my biggest regret purchase. It's soft, it wobbles, sits too high.
    Originally Posted by Northernmoris View Post
    I've said the exact words in the past. I absolutely hated the feel of this bench.
    As I recall, mine wobbled too when I first got it. I made a minor adjustment in the pivot area and haven't had a problem since.

MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Mine seems very sturdy. It does sit a bit high and I agree the pad is soft in the flat position. However I really like the fact that in the flat position it is one solid piece. I only have room for one bench and haven't used a FID I like better, especially at that price point.

Thanks for everyones opinion. .much appreciated! I'm really having a hard time choosing a bench. I'm definitely all about the ql dumbells and leaning to just gra bing the bench. I've looked around and the benches that look better are twice the money of the super bench.

throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Unless you go used I think it'll be hard to beat the Super Bench if you get the package deal. Have you checked craigslist?

The Hoist clone looks nice it needs to be properly reviewed and it doesn't help that Rep Fitness can't be bothered to keep their website up to date ("Ship Date: Dec 10th 2014", really?).

If you go Body Solid Fitness Factory will give you a good deal if you call.

If you can find a bench from Fitness Factory Outlet that you like you can usually 1) find a coupon and 2) get a better price than advertised by clicking on the "Too Low to Advertise! Click For Best Price" button.

Have you checked craigslist? If not, do it.

Thanks for everyones opinion. .much appreciated! I'm really having a hard time choosing a bench. I'm definitely all about the ql dumbells and leaning to just gra bing the bench. I've looked around and the benches that look better are twice the money of the super bench.
    Take a look at Keetman's Super Bench mini-review.

It took me a while to find that link. It's worth reading because Keetman has seen and used a lot of benches.

ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Personally I think the IM bench is not perfect, but can be a good piece for those who are tight on space and/or budget, especially given the lack of alternatives. Most commercial FID benches I'm aware of don't have a lot of attachments (if any), and many home benches with attachments are of lower quality. If you're not tight on space, you can get dedicated pieces, but if you are, then you need to rely on attachments. The powertec bench is comparable to the IM in terms of attachments/quality/price, but it has its own share of issues.

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I agree with ichthis quite a bit. I didn't offer an alternative bench when I gave my opinion of the superbenche's shortcomings because honestly, the cheapest bench I'd recommend is probably twice the price. If you are super tight on space and can only afford a $300 bench max and saving up a little longer to perhaps get something better isn't an option then the superbench might be an ok choice, I still think there might be others to consider but it's been a long time since I looked at benches in that range.

When I bought my superbench I was using an older and wider/lower style version of the current ptec bench, I liked that one alot more but if I remember right that bench has gone through a ton of makeovers since the model I had 8-10 years ago.

I know trying alot of this equipment out for yourself can be extremely difficult or many times impossible in certain areas but if you can find one around it'd be worth it to just go lay on one and adjust it around a bit to see how you like it for yourself.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #30 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #7 []---[]

Home gym pics:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1192814061&viewfull=1#post1192814061
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1198875921&viewfull=1#post1198875921
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1202033661&viewfull=1#post1202033661

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Take a look at Keetman's Super Bench mini-review.

It took me a while to find that link. It's worth reading because Keetman has seen and used a lot of benches.
    He says:

Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    The dip bars and pullup bars were very sturdy and I had no problems using them at all.
    I've never seen a Super Bench with a sturdy chin up bar. They've all been really wobbly, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm8xRc1mXs4#t=280
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmnydYpStcE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH2ODNjq3Kc

His review is a couple years old and there are a few versions of the Super Bench and the chin up bar. Maybe they were built better back then.

Got lucky..been looking on CL for ironmaster and found the super bench on there tonight. Wants 240 with leg attatchment, but it's close to an hour awayaway. Going to try to get it down as close to 200 as I can, if he won't budge I might just get new.

I won't budge. Not yet.

I won't budge. Not yet.
    Plus, if you're within an hour of me you're close to Tampa. You should be able to do better...

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    He says:

I've never seen a Super Bench with a sturdy chin up bar. They've all been really wobbly, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm8xRc1mXs4#t=280
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmnydYpStcE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH2ODNjq3Kc

His review is a couple years old and there are a few versions of the Super Bench and the chin up bar. Maybe they were built better back then.
    In all honesty, I think those were bad videos if you were trying to prove a point because the first guy didn't even have it on level floor and the last guy was swaying side to side. If you follow strict pull-up form, like everyone should, the chin up bar will be pretty solid. The dip bar I had on mine was solid as well, despite being a little uneven which ended up working out perfectly with my sloped garage floor.

Smooth, $240 sounds like a 'fair' price for having the leg attachment, although not an absolute steal. If that's what you are dead set on having I would grab it while its available. I don't see the Super bench pop up on CL very often, and when I sold mine it went pretty quickly.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    ...last guy was swaying side to side.
    For a few seconds of the video to give you an idea of how stable it is. I think 01:00-01:20 gives you a pretty good idea of how stable it is.

I don't disagree about the price but personally I don't want the leg attatchment and I'm going to have to buy the ab attatchment b/c I want to use decline which wil cost close to 75 dollars with shipping, so I'd be into it for $320. Plus buying it second hand takes the warranty away. For that cost I can get it brand new with ab and dip attachments, so while it's a fair price it doesn't make sense to me.

Lol just seen your reply. That's too funny, Not trying to low ball you but I have to have it make sense to make the deal.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well, since its so common I'm sure there are other people in your area who just have the Ironmaster Super Bench. With patience it should be something you could re-sell if you didn't like the leg attachment, and then put that towards what the others cost. Not sure if the warranty is really a big deal, by the time something breaks on that bench (if ever) you will probably have already picked up a commercial bench.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I got my dumbbells and super bench a couple days ago. So far I am very pleased, especially with the look and feel of the dumbbells. Think my next purchase will be a power rack when I find more room.

Rxonmymind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rxonmymind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rxonmymind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rxonmymind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rxonmymind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rxonmymind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rxonmymind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rxonmymind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rxonmymind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rxonmymind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rxonmymind is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First post.
    Have to give a hat tip to KB for his review of Ironmaster bench.
    I got lucky recently and found one minty for $225 with leg, pull up & dip station being a "local" pickup. Couldn't ask for more. While I'm not on the caliber of many here I'm more into "speed" workouts with just a touch of "heavy" now & then. I'd say 80/20 respectively. Having done many a triathlons in my day now I'm just trying to actively stay fit going soon into my fifties. My brother in law was the inspiration to have me get back into this as he is a bodybuilder.
    Anyway, thanks to all for their time, effort & contribution to making a review.
    Cheers & have a safe holiday.

swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No you cannot use it in decline without ab attachment you'll too easily slide down with extra weight trying to hold your legs

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by swiftsloth View Post
    No you cannot use it in decline without ab attachment you'll too easily slide down with extra weight trying to hold your legs
    Thanks. Now that you have provided this much anticipated information, all forum members can relax and enjoy their decline benches, safe in the knowledge that within 2 years max. you'll post the information they seek. Thanks again.