DavidMkd97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Heavy Weight Side Laterals - Dangerous?

I would like to ask a question about shoulder side lateral raises..I've been doing laterals with 10 lbs (5 kgs) since I started lifting, and I'm thinking of doing them with like 12 lbs then 15 lbs and so on..But the trainer at my gym says that if I do laterals with heavy dumbells I might tear a ligament in my shoulder!? And I want to ask you guys is that true and should I go with heavier weight because the 10 lbs dumbells are getting too easy.. Hope to get good answers

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Anything is dangerous if done without good form. If you have good, safe form - you'll be fine.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    For starters:

Lateral = side (anatomically speaking)
    Side laterals = side side

You're doing side raises or lateral raises.

That out of the way, heavy is relative. But the lateral deltoids are a relatively weak muscle group that is composed of muscle fibers that will typically respond better to higher reps as opposed to lower reps (working anywhere in the 10-20 range tends to elicit the best results for most people).

So if using 10lbs keeps you in that range, then that would most likely be ideal.

That being said, you are allowed to alter your form. There are some people who would advocate using looser form when it comes to laterals. Usually, if you try to go too heavy, you'll end up heaving the weight up and that will transfer the load to your traps. Since the weight is so low, your traps won't get much of a workout and neither will your lateral delts. However, if you know what you're doing, you can heave the weight up and then focus on the negative / eccentric portion of the lift. Thus, using the traps to get the weight up but overloading the lateral delts on the way down.

Perhaps experiment with both ways. See which one you prefer or perhaps continue with both down the line. There is definitely more than one way to do these things.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Richardlfc123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DavidMkd97 View Post
    I would like to ask a question about shoulder side lateral raises..I've been doing laterals with 10 lbs (5 kgs) since I started lifting, and I'm thinking of doing them with like 12 lbs then 15 lbs and so on..But the trainer at my gym says that if I do laterals with heavy dumbells I might tear a ligament in my shoulder!? And I want to ask you guys is that true and should I go with heavier weight because the 10 lbs dumbells are getting too easy.. Hope to get good answers
    if your goal is to add size then 10 lbs wont do much unfortunately

as someone said doing anything without proper form will cause damage.

DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You're young, tall, and skinny. Give yourself time. Acclimatization is everything. In my personal experience, since I have had shoulder injuries to both shoulders, I find that this particular exercise gives me the most grief when trying to do too much weight. So, what do I do? I don't do too much weight. Pretty simple.

Poverty reps brah thebeastenman's Avatar
    thebeastenman is just really nice. (+1000) thebeastenman is just really nice. (+1000) thebeastenman is just really nice. (+1000) thebeastenman is just really nice. (+1000) thebeastenman is just really nice. (+1000) thebeastenman is just really nice. (+1000) thebeastenman is just really nice. (+1000) thebeastenman is just really nice. (+1000) thebeastenman is just really nice. (+1000) thebeastenman is just really nice. (+1000) thebeastenman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wouldn't say that it's necessarily dangerous (with the right form) but you're better to do a heavy compound movement, like overhead shoulder press, then just finish up with side raises. You'd build muscle a bit quicker this way.
    Beasten-Man-2016 MAKE MISC GREAT AGAIN

CLaughton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLaughton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLaughton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLaughton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLaughton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLaughton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLaughton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just use a weight where you can feel a good contraction on every rep whether it's straight arm or bent arm

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Form is super important when doing these and too heavy of weight will murder proper form. The amount of weight is irrelevant. Proper form and reps are the key in this exercise. Try doing them seated as it will prevent any cheating. You want to do med to higher reps with this exercise in the 10-12 to sometimes 15 with proper form.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personal Trainers are often overcarefull, it's not a big deal if you slowly add weight every few weeks, if you can still pefiorm clean reps with more weight then you'll be fine

If 10pounders are too easy then by all means go to 12 or 15 ... in a month perhaps 15 gets too easy and you'll be able to handle 20 and so on
    Experience is the single greatest teacher in history. First you do your test, then he teaches you the lesson

Nothing succeeds like failure

OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz
    I see people doing these with high weights and throwing them up. Form is horrible and they are using their backs heavily. Use a weight that is heavy enough to maintain proper controlled form. If it's, 10, then it's 10. If you are progressing, then it will eventually go up. Save the heavier weights for military presses, dumbell presses etc.

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Exercises done with light weights such as lateral raises will never see very high poundages. The progress up in weight is very slow after a certain point and at some point will stop. Then its a matter of using different techniques

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not sure as I've always had banged up shoulders but.............

Heavy partial lateral raises ala john meadows really put mass on my shoulders like no other

Originally Posted by bishdipbrah View Post
    Not sure as I've always had banged up shoulders but.............

Heavy partial lateral raises ala john meadows really put mass on my shoulders like no other
    You can do these but best after you see progress plateauing with the proper form and when you're maxed out in weight doing them.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

squat in curl rack crew 3ScoopsOrDieTry's Avatar
    3ScoopsOrDieTry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 3ScoopsOrDieTry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 3ScoopsOrDieTry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 3ScoopsOrDieTry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 3ScoopsOrDieTry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 3ScoopsOrDieTry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 3ScoopsOrDieTry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 3ScoopsOrDieTry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 3ScoopsOrDieTry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 3ScoopsOrDieTry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 3ScoopsOrDieTry is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    "heavy weight" is relative.

However, doing side laterals for 4-6 reps is plain stupid and puts you at big risk of injuring it.

Do them for 8+reps SLOW and CONTROLLED.

Take this advice from someone who injured his shoulders by doing cheat larels with big weights for slow negatives lol
    don't care

anonymous
    Try blasting them within the 10-15 rep range and add drop sets. Did this today and I probably got my first real shoulder pump ever.

pyskowanie is just really nice. (+1000) pyskowanie is just really nice. (+1000) pyskowanie is just really nice. (+1000) pyskowanie is just really nice. (+1000) pyskowanie is just really nice. (+1000) pyskowanie is just really nice. (+1000) pyskowanie is just really nice. (+1000) pyskowanie is just really nice. (+1000) pyskowanie is just really nice. (+1000) pyskowanie is just really nice. (+1000) pyskowanie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Firstly, if its getting easy while using good form then its time to progress no matter what anyone says.

Re this exercise in general, it is typically done with lighter weight for moderate to high reps. There is little point in doing them with heavier weight for low reps. All of the above assumes good form. A valid variation of this exercise is to use a heavier weight using moderate to high reps with loose form. But this is a more advanced & riskier option, lifters gradually may start doing this through trial & error.
    Last edited by pyskowanie; 01-03-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Solidarity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Solidarity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Solidarity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Solidarity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Solidarity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Solidarity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Solidarity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Solidarity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Solidarity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Solidarity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Solidarity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i do them seated with 40s or 45s for 8-10 reps. you should be trying to add weight as you progress.

just stay within your ability and you will be fine...
    -The wolf on hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill.
    -That's true, he's not as hungry.. but when he wants the food...it's there

Professional Engineer

Ireon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ireon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ireon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ireon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ireon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ireon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ireon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ireon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ireon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ireon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ireon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    in
    To be honest, I find doing them one at a time and NOT swinging to be really good. I actually find if I do them heavy it gives my traps a good stretch and I do still feel it in my side delts. Just make sure you do them controlled. I haven't had any issues doing them heavy but I also don't swing them.
    In all honestly though, provided you can do them, go much above 10 pounds. Go for 20 if you can do them strictly. You're building muscles, do flapping around imaginary wings. If you don't feel the typical healthy non sharp muscle burn, then you probably need to go up in weight.

Eating all the gains Shredthetics's Avatar
    Shredthetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shredthetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shredthetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shredthetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shredthetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shredthetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shredthetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shredthetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shredthetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shredthetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shredthetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It won't be dangerous if you have good form..
    I do lateral raises with the 60's for high reps and have no related issues because I control the movement.

I do not advocate low-er reps(<8) for shoulders as the risk to reward ratio is pretty poor when they are so easily injured and weights that maximal are often "cheated"
    IG: @West_Whey
    8 years in.

Contest History:
    -2013 Muscle GC Classic