He must be on creatine! slaydox's Avatar
    slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Squats, Legs hurt really bad

Well i did squats on monday i woke up yesterday and could barely walk, my legs hurt so bad i cant even go up stairs. What should i do? Take some rest? Anything to help the soreness/pain?

Thanks guys

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by slaydox View Post
    Well i did squats on monday i woke up yesterday and could barely walk, my legs hurt so bad i cant even go up stairs. What should i do? Take some rest? Anything to help the soreness/pain?

Thanks guys
    First things first: If you normally do squats as part of your routine and suddenly you are in a lot of "new" pain, then this could be injury and should be treated carefully.

However, if you don't normally do squats (or this is the first time you did squats in a while) then this is normal. Two things to consider - 1) the first few times you stress a body part, not just the muscle, but also the connective tissue gets worked, so you can have some swelling and repair taking place in connective tissue too. 2) squats are a very intensive exercise working many large muscle groups. While muscular repair is typically done within 24-28 hours, your symptoms sound a lot like DOMS.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south127.htm

I know exactly what you are going through and it can really suck! Some tips that I have found to help:

1) Stretch - before, during and after your workout. This helps keep blood flowing and connective tissues stretched out.
    2) Blood Flow - I'll do some leg cardio the next day to get the blood flowing in the legs. Even better is to do a lighter set of squats after 3 days or so. I know it feels like your legs can't possibly move, but with DOMS, after a working set or two, the pain is gone (due to blood flow) and you can continue. I find that this helps reduce the duration of the pain.
    3) Stretch - when I get DOMS really bad, it helps to stretch after getting up in the morning and throughout the day. I find the longer the muscle sits in one position, the more painful it is when you try to move.

The article linked above recommends enzymes, but I have not tried these to offer personal advice. Try to avoid ibuprofen, as it can inhibit muscle growth.
    It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    was that your first time??? you're gonna get soreness, aka DOMS... its a part of lifting, some ppl get it worse than others.
    give it 3-4 days and itll be gone, most of us have been in the same situation so dont think ur alone. my knees have buckled out walking off from a squat day once lol
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Littledan is on the money. Sometimes when I do a lift for the first time I'll do 2 sets and light weight - break-in the body!
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

crawford62 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crawford62 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crawford62 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crawford62 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crawford62 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crawford62 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crawford62 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crawford62 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crawford62 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crawford62 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crawford62 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Squats are definately a killer, especially the first time or two. I like stretching in a hot shower or bath with epsom salt when im sore. Going for a walk helps too, its tough at the begining but you'll loosen up and feel better.

He must be on creatine! slaydox's Avatar
    slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks guys, YEa im guilty of not stretching =\
    Im going to start stretching so i dont tense up any other muscles.
    Also Would a muscle relaxer help with the pain? Im supposed to take them at night for my back but i never do lol so i figure if it can help my legs may aswell put them to use.

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by slaydox View Post
    Thanks guys, YEa im guilty of not stretching =\
    Im going to start stretching so i dont tense up any other muscles.
    Also Would a muscle relaxer help with the pain? Im supposed to take them at night for my back but i never do lol so i figure if it can help my legs may aswell put them to use.
    Going from memory here, but muscle relaxers (both OTC and Prescription) have a negative effect on muscle growth, reducing your gains. Personally, I rather grit my teeth and suffer through than give up muscle growth, but you have to consider your individual condition and make that determination. If you are so injured you can't workout, that will inhibit muscle growth too!
    It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.