Nats5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nats5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New to training?

Ok.. so I recently got my ACE cert. (I know lots of folks prefer NASM) I also have been workin as a jailer for the past few months for income whole moving near family. I have absolutely no experience training. I was buff in highschool so skinny dudes would ask me to train and id try to make em swole. Uhh.. long story short.. I want to know my next step?? I want to get a job at Golds or Anytime in Victoria Tx and later progress to get my BA in kinesiology but I feel ill prepared... I have worked out myself since I was 12 and love learning about fitness and helping people but am scared that may not be enough? Any advice woulx be highly appreciated.

Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000)
    I posted the same thing and no one helped me out man. That was two weeks ago. What i've learned in these past two weeks is you have to be really talkative, In 24hr fitness, you have to get your own clients or the membership counselors get them for you. I have my first client tomorrow

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Nats5 View Post
    Ok.. so I recently got my ACE cert. (I know lots of folks prefer NASM) I also have been workin as a jailer for the past few months for income whole moving near family. I have absolutely no experience training. I was buff in highschool so skinny dudes would ask me to train and id try to make em swole. Uhh.. long story short.. I want to know my next step?? I want to get a job at Golds or Anytime in Victoria Tx and later progress to get my BA in kinesiology but I feel ill prepared... I have worked out myself since I was 12 and love learning about fitness and helping people but am scared that may not be enough? Any advice woulx be highly appreciated.
    Well first off, this is why ACE is terrible. You pay $$$, get materials, take test, receive cert....and still have no clue how to actually be a good trainer. No bueno.

I would advise maybe looking into an internship or shadow a really good trainer. I don't know the area in which you live, but look for private gym trainers first. A lot of them would appreciate the extra help and would enjoy teaching what they know.

I would definitely not start training or get a job in fitness yet. Why? Because this business is all about reputation. If you start training now, and either injure someone or fail to get results(because of lack of knowledge), it tarnishes your brand. I like your plan of going back to school. I would continue to work at the jail until either a) You go back to school or b) you can shadow a good trainer.

Fitness is like every other industry. You should start with a great knowledge base. You don't just get into fitness and try to turn it into a career yielding 6 figures without actually knowing anything.

Nats5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nats5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    @ Ramsden Thanks a bunch bro. I really appreciate the advice and am going to see about shadowing local people. I was nervous about not being qualified enuff. Again thanks for the help man

@Daffle Didnt really answer my ? But thnks for yur input bud

cjmcfarland317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cjmcfarland317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cjmcfarland317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cjmcfarland317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cjmcfarland317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cjmcfarland317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cjmcfarland317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cjmcfarland317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cjmcfarland317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cjmcfarland317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cjmcfarland317 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So here's what I have to offer....

If you can't find a local gym to help shadow at then I would suggest talking to some high school coaches to see if you could shadow there. I'm not sure if training athletes has crossed your mind, but if anything, it can help you learn how to program, work on cues for your clients, learn more about what lifts do what, and just overall give you the experience of helping people train and go through an entire workout. A lot of training I have found is about being confident. Though a lot of confidence comes from experience, it also comes from knowledge. So make sure that even though you already have a cert that you're studying like you don't, because it's just like learning another language, if you don't constantly read and speak it you will loose the knowledge very quickly.

lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    How much does a perosnal trainer get paid?

lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lukasfalch1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    And how much work time?

cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Read the "Directions toward a career in fitness" sticky, and don't hi-jack threads.
    Aaron Bennett
    Denver Harlequins Rugby
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #29 -!!!---!!!-

@cjmcfarland Thanks bud, thats really helpful. Ima try to see if a gym or my old highschool coach would let me shadow. I appreciate yalls help

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Nats5 View Post
    Keep really good records (preferably digit ones) of all of your programs and nutritional prescriptions. You will find that you will re-prescribe them as your career grows. If you have digital copies, you can quickly build on that and before too long you'll have a serious fitness database that you can reference at will. One that is totally yours and not borrowed from someone else.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Detectorist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't ever, and I mean ever, use bosu balls.

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
    Don't ever, and I mean ever, use bosu balls.
    Haha.. I agree.
    NASM-CPT

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As mentioned above you have really start at the bottom and work your way up.
    Getting a client base is something you build and it may take awhile.
    Without experience you can't start at top dollar rates either.
    Maybe working at a big box gym for awhile that pays low wages and gets clients for you to train would be good experience for you.
    As you mentioned increasing your knowledge and a degree is good but also hands on experience and results with clients you worked with that you document will certainly help.
    Remember to if you go on your own its more than just training.
    Its advertising ,record keeping and working all hours of the day/night.
    Good luck to you.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by RamsdenF View Post
    Well first off, this is why ACE is terrible. You pay $$$, get materials, take test, receive cert....and still have no clue how to actually be a good trainer. No bueno.

I would advise maybe looking into an internship or shadow a really good trainer. I don't know the area in which you live, but look for private gym trainers first. A lot of them would appreciate the extra help and would enjoy teaching what they know.

I would definitely not start training or get a job in fitness yet. Why? Because this business is all about reputation. If you start training now, and either injure someone or fail to get results(because of lack of knowledge), it tarnishes your brand. I like your plan of going back to school. I would continue to work at the jail until either a) You go back to school or b) you can shadow a good trainer.

Fitness is like every other industry. You should start with a great knowledge base. You don't just get into fitness and try to turn it into a career yielding 6 figures without actually knowing anything.
    Enough said.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by RamsdenF View Post

Nail on the head. Take this advice and go. You would also benefit from some basic anatomy training books and practice on yourself or close friends you might have. Def. shadowing tho, I started as an apprentice 11 years ago and I now have a constant waiting list. Build your name from quality and take your time. otherwise your career may not take off like you want.
    Team 360CUT
    www.360Cut.com
    Http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/360cut.html

LIKE AND FOLLOW US
    ********: ********.com/360cut Twitter: @360cut Instagram: @360cut
    --
    PERSONAL TRAINER/COACH
    www.trainwithgmac.com
    ********: Gary GMac McClain Jr
    Instagram: trainwithgmac
    It's GO TIME!!! #CausinRuckus #SilentRage #TrainWithGmac