PumaBabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

BF% loss, need input!

So, I got my BF%age and measurements done today. I've lost a loooottt of inches, but no scale change (i know the scale doesn't matter ). I had it measured on the 12th, and it came to be 21.5%. Today, it was 19.5%, and when i got on the scale this morning it was the same. The trainer was so stunned by my BF loss,.... that he suggest I come in on saturday to have it re-done...? He takes measurements and bodyfat all the time, so he is experienced. I just don't understand why he'd want to check it? He took the measurments twice, before he told me what it was...

I'm really excited by my progress, but now I don't know if I should be or not? I'm in a competition so, I've been really working hard at doing the right things, and not cutting any corners. I just don't know if I should keep doing what I'm doing because its working... (ie.. keto diet, training, vitamins, water, supps.). Or if I need to adjust? Since the scale hasn't moved- did I really drop body fat? I'm confused!

Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The reason he probably wanted you re-taped is because he wasnt sure if maybe other things were causing your waist size to be smaller --- believei it or not, there are some things you can do to shrink your waist for about an hour or two - know lots of people who do it to pass the military BF test..

on the other hand, good progress..keep doing what your doing!

Now, let me explain why maybe you haven't seen change on the scale...

- Every galon of water weighs about 5lbs, if your drinking enough water and staying very hydrated, it will throw off scale measurements...

- Common knowledge tells you Muscle weighs much more than Fat, so big chance you put on some muscle.

- Some math: not sure of your weight, lets say 200.

200 @ 21.5% BF = 157lbs of lean muscle.
    200 @ 19.5% BF = 161lbs of lean muscle.

as you see, 2% BF drop is about 4lb loss..but its 4lb of pure fat, but since you see no change on the scale, then say...2lbs of muscle gain, 2lbs of fat loss..putting you around even.

when people say muscle weighs more than fat...look at it this way

open your palm, say that is the size of 2lbs of FAT, now make a fist, that would be size of 2lbs of muscle. I hope this puts things in perspective for you and good luck!
    Mess with the best, die like the rest.
    Oorah - It's a Marine Thing...

I weigh in at 133- 5'3. It's been staying there for about almost a month. Okay, thank you so much for your input. I haven't been as diligent with getting in a gallon and a half of water. But I do drink lots of tea, unsweetened ice tea, water...about 12-16 cups worth. Not caffienated by the way. I know it's the the same as water, but can I dehydrate from drinking that? I know i really need to work on just water, water, but can drinking other things like that affect progress negatively?

jblaze13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jblaze13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jblaze13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jblaze13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jblaze13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jblaze13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jblaze13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jblaze13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jblaze13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jblaze13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jblaze13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You know the age old saying, right? "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it." Keep doing what you're doing and as long as it's continuing to work, keep it. Once you start experiencing a plateau, start your tweaking. One gallon of water weighs 8 pounds. From what I've been told it's quite possible to lose quite a bit of BF while doing this diet. I've just started my diet today, so we'll see how it goes. If I can experience results similar to yours I'll be quite content.

As far as the tea goes, I don't think that's a problem at all. Just be sure to get an adequate amount of water. *smile*

blaze
    Last edited by jblaze13; 03-01-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Thank you guys so much! I'll be workin' it on that water! hehe

Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Biznotch View Post
    Now, let me explain why maybe you haven't seen change on the scale...

- Every galon of water weighs about 5lbs, if your drinking enough water and staying very hydrated, it will throw off scale measurements...
    A gallon of water weighs exactly 8 lbs.

- Some math: not sure of your weight, lets say 200.

200 @ 21.5% BF = 157lbs of lean muscle.
    200 @ 19.5% BF = 161lbs of lean muscle.

as you see, 2% BF drop is about 4lb loss..but its 4lb of pure fat, but since you see no change on the scale, then say...2lbs of muscle gain, 2lbs of fat loss..putting you around even.
    Actually, it is a 4 lb fat loss, 4 lb muscle gain, according to a 200 lb person. You just did the math yourself, at 200 lbs 19.5% is 4 lbs more lean mass than at 21.5% so if his weight is the same that would mean a 4 lb fat loss.

when people say muscle weighs more than fat...look at it this way

open your palm, say that is the size of 2lbs of FAT, now make a fist, that would be size of 2lbs of muscle. I hope this puts things in perspective for you and good luck!
    I do not get the visualization you are trying to portray for fat. My palm is somehow less dense than my fist.... which is my palm plus my fingers?

Yes, muscle is more dense than fat.

ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here's 5lbs of fat and 5lbs of muscle side by side
    Attached Images
    Obtaining knowledge is half the battle, knowing how to apply said knowledge is the other half. Executing is the simplest part of success when you have a plan based on sensible well informed choices.

jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ronz0r View Post
    Here's 5lbs of fat and 5lbs of muscle side by side
    Where does one even begin to look for a picture of that? lol...it interesting to see...but gross!
    Contest Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146273283&p=911273403&posted=1#post911273403

Twitter: FrigginLean
    YouTube: Jaim91

Unless you faint, puke, or die....keep walking
    - Jillian Michaels -

Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Biznotch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Rugger7 View Post

I do not get the visualization you are trying to portray for fat. My palm is somehow less dense than my fist.... which is my palm plus my fingers?

Yes, muscle is more dense than fat.

I know muscle is more dense that fat, i meant in the actual circumference..which is shown by the picture above...

and thanks for the correction on a gallon of water to equal 8lbs, i always thought of it as around 5lbs...and good point on the fat loss/muscle gain thing i did it in a hurry...

Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I wish that pic had like a quarter or something for reference in it.. I guess that muscle looks like maybe one of the bicep heads possibly?

ive held those once at a dietician course...the muscle is almost the size of your entire forearm, pretty big