GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Getting more vascular, more size, stronger... can't lose fat?

I am Male, 6'1, and about 212lbs. I was 230, lost down to where I am now (1.5 years ago) and haven't moved since. Getting back from injury (69 days off), been lifting for ~1.5 months. Gained back almost all of my size, starting to see vascularity (I can sorta see veins in my foreheads/biceps/forearms area). So in short, I'm getting strong again, squatting heavy, benching heavy, and starting to deadlift again... but not losing fat!

I'm finally determined to get back to being ripped so here's what I've done for the past few months/year:

- Cut back drinking to ~1x a month (if that).
    - Cut back on soda (maybe 1/2x a month)
    - Don't really eat junk food that much (maybe, 2/3x a week)

Generally my Diet/Nutrition looks something like:

- Mostly eat meats (fish, steak, chicken, ham)
    - Pasta ~3x a week
    - Subs 4/5x a week
    - Bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats or Eggs for breakfast (everyday)
    - Protein every post-workout

I can't figure out why I'm still not losing fat. I typically only have 2 meals on the weekend (late lunch and dinner).

The only time I started to actually see abs again and less fat was in August, where I was lifting for 7 or 8 days straight without a day off (which caused my injury-tendinitis). I've even ran 3mi/5days a week for a few months and saw no fat loss from that either.

Suggestions?

Chrislonde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chrislonde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chrislonde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chrislonde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chrislonde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chrislonde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chrislonde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chrislonde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chrislonde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chrislonde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chrislonde will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what you eat as almost no consequence in the fat you loose. it's all about how much calories. if you aren't loosing, eat less calories every day. it's simple like that. you think you're in a deficit but obviously you aren't

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Seeing better vascularity can be a sign of losing fat. You don't have to lose weight in order to lose fat. Despite what many think, gradually losing fat and building muscle is possible. Especially in those who come back from a training break.

That said - your food choices are largely personal preference. Losing weight and losing significant fat is all about creating a caloric deficit. You can even get a six pack eating nothing but ice-cream all day (really not recommended at all - even though it's possible).

If you want to have a firm grip on your progress, you more than likely need to keep a log of your caloric and nutrient intakes and adjust it as needed. If the weight isn't dropping and you don't seem to be getting any leaner - cut some calories and that should do it.
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GenderOfPeace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ArchangelEST View Post
    Seeing better vascularity can be a sign of losing fat. You don't have to lose weight in order to lose fat. Despite what many think, gradually losing fat and building muscle is possible. Especially in those who come back from a training break.

That said - your food choices are largely personal preference. Losing weight and losing significant fat is all about creating a caloric deficit. You can even get a six pack eating nothing but ice-cream all day (really not recommended at all - even though it's possible).

If you want to have a firm grip on your progress, you more than likely need to keep a log of your caloric and nutrient intakes and adjust it as needed. If the weight isn't dropping and you don't seem to be getting any leaner - cut some calories and that should do it.
    So basically what I'm gathering from you and Chrislonde is that I might be in a caloric deficit (hence the increase vascularity) but I'm not in one that's big enough to loss the fat at a higher pace. I think I'll keep my food choices but maybe I'll cut back on calories.

I guess the real question is which is better slow losing fat or losing it faster? From what I understand the quicker I lose fat the more strength I lose in the gym? Feel free correct me if I'm wrong.

brand1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brand1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brand1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brand1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brand1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brand1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brand1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brand1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brand1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brand1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brand1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GenderOfPeace View Post
    So basically what I'm gathering from you and Chrislonde is that I might be in a caloric deficit (hence the increase vascularity) but I'm not in one that's big enough to loss the fat at a higher pace. I think I'll keep my food choices but maybe I'll cut back on calories.

I guess the real question is which is better slow losing fat or losing it faster? From what I understand the quicker I lose fat the more strength I lose in the gym? Feel free correct me if I'm wrong.
    The difference between a slow cut and a fast cut is in a slow cut you will for the most part keep a lot of your lean body mass whereas a fast cut can actually end up eating your muscle as well along with changing your mood and cravings negatively among other things
    Former 350 club!

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GenderOfPeace View Post
    Slower is almost always better. Keep the deficit fairly small and you should have no noticeable discomfort of any sort. You should be able to keep improving in the gym and retain all your muscle mass, maybe even build some if you are far enough away from your natural limits.

Cutting hard and fast will have side-effects. Our body does not like to change rapidly and you will experience various discomforts that can also negatively affect health. Your results will also be less optimal because you will more than certainly lose some strength and muscle mass. Unless you are cutting for a competition and simply can't afford the time for a more reasonable cut, I would never recommend it.

On another note, a slow cut should be approached with a non-linear long term plan. Meaning, that you should not simply aim to stay on a diet for months and months in a row. Make plans to have small breaks where you increase calories to maintenance or even in a surplus for a while. Even a fairly reasonable cut can get somewhat taxing, if not physically, then perhaps mentally. Changing things up every now and again is almost always good. A constant diet will mean that even in the best of circumstances muscle improvement will be slow. So, short breaks will also help to improve muscularity, which is always welcome.

So yeah. Take it nice and slow, change it up every few months to focus on muscular improvements and letting the body rest from the fat loss and then keep going with renewed vigor.
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler