SmackMeOP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is this whole "you can't build muscle on a deficit" bro science?

OK I anticipate you've heard most people say in order to build muscle you need to be in a surplus.
    But carbs and fat doesn't contribute to muscle building?
    For example if a normal 150lbs who doesn't go gym and eats 80/225/80 (avg Marcos) and works as a Office Worker, decides to go gym and eat 165/130/100, I'm pretty sure hell gain MASS and MUSCLE pretty quick? He doesn't need to be eating 2900kcals to gain?
    I'm annoyed with all this bro science that building muscle requires a surplus?
    What's your opinon?
    Last edited by SmackMeOP; 12-26-2014 at 10:55 AM.

mc420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Depends on your metabolism and body type... Ectos would't gain anything this way, meso's maybe a little, but you truly make biggest gains when you are in caloric surplus.
    Wide Hips Crew :(

jsk16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsk16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsk16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsk16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsk16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsk16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsk16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsk16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsk16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsk16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsk16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ive tried building muscle on a cut and on maintenance and both times didn't work out. I personally start to stall if I'm not at least 300 calories over maintenance and I'm still only about a year into lifting. Even in the beginning few months I pretty much ate maintenance and made no gains

keaton10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) keaton10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) keaton10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) keaton10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) keaton10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) keaton10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) keaton10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) keaton10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) keaton10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) keaton10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) keaton10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Depends on your genetics

Location: Hartlepool, Cleveland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Cut with more than 1g per pound of lean mass. That worked for me on this long cut. I've built a ton of muscle

Francis333 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Francis333 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Francis333 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Francis333 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Francis333 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Francis333 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Francis333 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Francis333 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Francis333 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Francis333 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Francis333 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mc420 View Post
    Depends on your metabolism and body type... Ectos would't gain anything this way, meso's maybe a little, but you truly make biggest gains when you are in caloric surplus.
    No.

It's almost impossible as a natty
    "Do not try to fake passion, because eventually somebody will come along who is truly passionate and they will fuking embarass you"- Ryan Doris

Karn235 is just really nice. (+1000) Karn235 is just really nice. (+1000) Karn235 is just really nice. (+1000) Karn235 is just really nice. (+1000) Karn235 is just really nice. (+1000) Karn235 is just really nice. (+1000) Karn235 is just really nice. (+1000) Karn235 is just really nice. (+1000) Karn235 is just really nice. (+1000) Karn235 is just really nice. (+1000) Karn235 is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol gaining muscle in a deficit isn't possible unless not natty, what do you think muscle tissue is formed by, air? You need excess calories. Most people would be happy to maintain muscle during a deficit.BTW its not broscience your just a pussy ******* who can't eat

CantEvenLift has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CantEvenLift has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CantEvenLift has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CantEvenLift has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CantEvenLift has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CantEvenLift has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CantEvenLift has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CantEvenLift has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CantEvenLift has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CantEvenLift has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CantEvenLift has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Oh god, I wish it was broscience.. But im pretty sure it is not. As a person with rather good genetics (easy to build muscle, easy to cut), I tried to do so for a long time, but my gains were minimal at the beginning, and then I'd just stop adding weight whatsoever. I've been researching this matter for a long time, because I was scared as hell to lose my definition, but at the end of the day, you just have to face it - if you want more muscle mass, you will have to eat more, and unless you are a pro with a personal cook and macroes manager, you will add fat. I tried to eat around 100kcal more than my maintenance, but the gains were upsetingly minimal, and the whole calorie counting was just tiring, so I decided to bulk for a short period, and then cut, like a month of bulking and two weeks cutting. Added around 7kg weight since school started (September), BF increased by I'd say 1-3%.

Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Most likely you won't be able to gain mass in a deficit. If you do it's so minimal it's not worth mentioning.
    snapchat:bach225
    U.S. Army 13F
    ++ Positive Crew ++
    ★ DEADLIFT CREW ★
    +Ohio til I die crew+

Pcne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    genetics is a big part

CHBB919 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHBB919 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHBB919 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHBB919 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHBB919 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHBB919 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHBB919 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHBB919 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHBB919 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHBB919 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CHBB919 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dependent on your genetics.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You need to be in an ANABOLIC STATE to build LBM. (unless you're on gear, or you're a beginner)

That's the bottom line. That's science.

DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DanielHutch is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    You need to be in an ANABOLIC STATE to build LBM. (unless you're on gear, or you're a beginner)

That's the bottom line. That's science.
    Might explain why I've gained muscle despite being on a cut from the beginning

ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DanielHutch View Post
    Might explain why I've gained muscle despite being on a cut from the beginning
    Do you have reading comprehension difficulties?

gobble has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    People who say you can't build muscle in a deficit haven't read actual scientific studies on the matter. So that probably counts as bro science.

Have a look through this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...1&d=1310193169

The reality is that it is entirely possible provided the defict is not too large. While you can not build muscle and burn fat at exactly the same time. Throughout different parts of the day you will be in an anabolic state, such as after a meal, and a catabolic state at other times.

^ That's not what was asked. OBVIOUSLY the human body enters different states after meals and during prolonged fasting periods. But you're taking the OPs question and skewing it and taking it out of context.

IT IS possible to build muscle in a deficit, but there are VERY few times in which it will occur.

Do you have reading comprehension difficulties?
    Being a beginner?

gobble has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^ That's not what was asked. OBVIOUSLY the human body enters different states after meals and during prolonged fasting periods. But you're taking the OPs question and skewing it and taking it out of context.

IT IS possible to build muscle in a deficit, but there are VERY few times in which it will occur.
    What I wrote there was just an addendum, and it wasn't wrong. and is relevant when people post things like:

The study I posted provides scientific evidence that it is possible to build muscle in a deficit.

SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mc420 View Post
    ****totypes were developed by a psychologist as a way to classify the body types of serial killers and who is more inclined to commit acts of violence so what you're saying is irrelevant
    Master total
    S: 585
    B: 370
    D: 605

orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    technically you're never on a deficit,as you have many calories stored in your body as fat. you can build muscle on a "deficit" it's just not optimal.
    My workout log (candito's linear program): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165515901
    My strength training (road to powerlifting) log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173639391&p=1486170391#post1486170391

Originally Posted by gobble View Post

The study I posted provides scientific evidence that it is possible to build muscle in a deficit.

Which I never disagreed with.

Kichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kichie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Average male intake a day is 8700kj which is 2200 calories and thats to maintain what you are. All you have to do is go over that by a tad bit, saaaaaaay 300? So go for 2500 calories a day (thats what I do) I average around 100g fat 300-350 grams protein 80 g of carbs. I've found this works best for my bodytype.
    Being the son of Zeus it's a requirement to hit the gym.

IG - Joe_Barreca

Bench 1lb
    Squats 1.2lb
    DL 1.1lb