Whiskas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New to deadlifting

so i just started doing ice cream fitness and one of the exercises consists of deadlifting, which i'm relatively unfamiliar with. i've watched many tutorials with regards to the form and technique on jonnie candito's channel, but he doesn't explain how to do the reps. for instance, in many fitness videos i watch, the lifter brings the bar up to his waist after the initial movement, but just lets the bar drop to the floor in an uncontrolled fashion afterwards. is this because there is a high chance of injury on the way down? is this what i should be doing as a beginner, or should i bring the bar down slowly?

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bringing the bar down slowly in an uncontrolled fashion is dangerous, no surprise.

Bringing the bar down slowly in a controlled fashion, staying tight, reversing the motion, as opposed to rounding your back and letting the weight pull you down, is relatively safe, especially at the loads you'll be using on ICF, and it increases time under tension, giving the DL a negative, however the main downside is you're likely to have to use less weight on multiple rep sets than if you were you to drop it.

Some people also have equipment limitations, if you don't have good flooring/bumpers, you can't drop **** heavy weight so easily without damaging, I myself got up to around a 450-500 dead lowering it slowly due to that reason, however since upgrading my setup and being able to drop the weight, considering I'm a powerlifter who only needs to be able to lift a weight once, and can drop it in competition, I've seen my numbers go up greatly due to not having to waste energy on 5 rep sets with negatives (lowering).

I'd say go for the middle ground, lower it fast, but controlled, keep strong hold of it. Don't drop it straight from your hands, especially if you have another rep to do after, but at the same time don't slide it slowly down the legs slower than it went up. Stay tight, stay controlled, lower it close to your body so where it lands requires little to no movement of you or the bar to get setup correctly to pull again.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 12-23-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1 rep is bringing the bar up and putting it back down in a controlled manner. Bringing it up to lockout position and then just basically throwing it is cheating/a half rep imo

People do the latter because its easier than doing both movements in a controlled manner (And people will do anything to make it look like they can do more reps with a given weight)

jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    anyone who thinks that dropping the bar after lockout on a deadlift is "cheating/a half rep" is really unqualified for giving advice about the deadlift. deadlift is from the floor up to the lock out position. anything that happens after that is up to the user.

OP: i would suggest a fast controlled descent. basically, once you clear the knees let it go