Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

SQUATS! A.T.G vs Parallel

I want to get STRONG. I want that power butt and power thighs. I want to look like a 46 year old half man half horse. Forgot the name of that mystical creature but they always look strong as heck. So do u recommend ATG (butt low to the ground) or a nice parallel heavy squat

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by humanbeatbox7 View Post
    I want to get STRONG. I want that power butt and power thighs. I want to look like a 46 year old half man half horse. Forgot the name of that mystical creature but they always look strong as heck. So do u recommend ATG (butt low to the ground) or a nice parallel heavy squat
    I don't know what's a nice parallel means.
    I suggest you practice at depths.
    The lower you go the more the squat will activate the glutes and hamstrings.

The bar placement will impact the affect of the squat.

I go below parallel to a full squat. I use less weight than a parallel squat, but the thighs development has been better.

The following website may help
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) humanbeatbox7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    I don't know what's a nice parallel means.
    I suggest you practice at depths.
    The lower you go the more the squat will activate the glutes and hamstrings.

The bar placement will impact the affect of the squat.

I go below parallel to a full squat. I use less weight than a parallel squat, but the thighs development has been better.

The following website may help
    What is ur height and weight and does that make a difference when u squat. Thanks for the video I will watch it now.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What is ur height and weight and does that make a difference when u squat. Thanks for the video I will watch it now.
    I'm 5'7" and weigh 190lb.

It's more about flexibility in particular the hips and ankles and the width of the stance.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Any difference will have to do with ratio of lower body to upper, and differences will have to do with individual feels, not so much high vs low bar placement or depth.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    I'm 5'7" and weigh 190lb.

It's more about flexibility in particular the hips and ankles and the width of the stance.
    Ok Jerry, I looked at profile and ur a BEAST! U r motivation.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I want to get STRONG. I want that power butt and power thighs. I want to look like a 46 year old half man half horse.

Ed the talking horse?

ATG all the way....

hanging around parallel kills my knees..
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Make sure you understand what a butt wink is.

Film yourself squatting ATG with just the bar.

You need to stop short of butt winking, and work a mobility/flexibility plan if you want to go lower.
    One day, maybe not soon, but one day, it will be mine turn to feel the bar bend. One day.

We're all gonna make it Crew
    I'm pretty sure I'm Autistic Crew
    If not Autistic then definitely Aspy Crew
    Used to be obese Crew
    Never going to be shredded Crew
    Never going to be swole Crew
    Keep lifting cause too stubborn to give up Crew

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    For what it's worth...every person who has told me they squat to "parallel" are actually only really doing 1/3 squats (the easy part). If you go to actual parallel you might as well go all the way down.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    For what it's worth...every person who has told me they squat to "parallel" are actually only really doing 1/3 squats (the easy part). If you go to actual parallel you might as well go all the way down.
    I squat to parallel (so now it's almost everyone ) and I disagree that I should go all the way down. So many factors involved (ankle, hip flexibility, stance, bar placement ect) that getting to just below parallel, for me, is good enough for government work.

Most people who think they go ATG aren't even close. That stupid term is tossed around so much around here it /boggles me.
    ☻/
    /β–Œ
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    For what it's worth...every person who has told me they squat to "parallel" are actually only really doing 1/3 squats (the easy part). If you go to actual parallel you might as u go all the way down.
    Yea u might b right

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    I squat to parallel (so now it's almost everyone ) and I disagree that I should go all the way down. So many factors involved (ankle, hip flexibility, stance, bar placement ect) that getting to just below parallel, for me, is good enough for government work.

Most people who think they go ATG aren't even close. That stupid term is tossed around so much around here it /boggles me.
    But it sounds super duper cool.

Yea it does and as childish as it is, its fun to say. Then again boogles has proved to entertain me as well.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

amen.

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First, I'll tell you where I'm coming from. I've competed in Olympic weightlifting for the last 14 years. We pretty much have to squat as deep as possible.

My opinion is that high-mid bar placement will make squatting deeper easier. Squatting deep will also activate the glutes and hamstrings much more than stopping at parallel. I know a lot of older guys who get more knee pain when stopping at parallel than squatting a full ROM (range of motion).

So, to look like a centaur (half man half horse), I suggest squatting as deep as you possibly can given your flexibility and mobility. Start light, and I mean like bar-only light, and progressively add weight.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

Perfect video for me. I enjoyed it. Thanks man

Dam man, thats word I was lookin for all day. Looks like I gotta get up in that thang if I want that look. I will start light and develop that good form

Centaur

tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ATG worked best for me, and I'm glad that through the years of powerlifting I still can go ATG. But as of late I'm parking my ego and using more TUT with all my training! My job of driving redi mix truck and pay loader on/off daily, jumping in and out, I can feel it...Just gotta be smart.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The grass is about 16" away when my hams are sitting on my calves.

The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Being as strong as centaur isnt enough for me. I want to be as a strong as a liger.

Should I squat ATG or parallel? What sort of protein should I take?

skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great squat video. Thanks

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Plus, what is the point? Powerlifters squat to parallel and I don't see too many of them sporting toothpick legs.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    The grass is about 16" away when my hams are sitting on my calves.

EK...you have great flexibility....a guy 5 ' 6" would be much closer

Me I barely can get to parallel so ATG is a long ways away and not something I even try to do. I know front squats are much easier to get good depth for me....once I move the bar to my back not so much....Nice vid
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    Plus, what is the point? Powerlifters squat to parallel and I don't see too many of them sporting toothpick legs.
    So you can say you squat ATG
    ☻/
    /β–Œ
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

What is TUT?

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RT1957 View Post
    EK...you have great flexibility....a guy 5 ' 6" would be much closer
    I found a tall patch of grass

I think using as much ROM as one is able and still comfortable is smart for most muscle building work. As long as the hip goes below the knee, parallel, slightly below whatever probably all good? IDK that is what the smart guys say in the exercise forum.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What is TUT?
    Time under tension....trying doing a pushup and take 5 seconds to lower yourself then as you push up make it take 5 seconds to rise....You'll feel time under tension
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    I found a tall patch of grass

I think using as much ROM as one is able and still comfortable is smart for most muscle building work. As long as the hip goes below the knee, parallel, slightly below whatever probably all good? IDK that is what the smart guys say in the exercise forum.

I may be in the minority here, but even with no weight on the bar, anything much beyond parallel brings pain which I know is not associated with progress. I go just a hair below parallel, and it has served me well all these years.

All of this is really good mature conversation. I want to Thank everyone who has participated.