Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    FranzLiszt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FranzLiszt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Which one? Squat or Front squat?

Which one is a more dangerous exercise? Squats or Front squat?
    Which one do you people prefer?

I only do squats on the smith machine... But I want to begin doing without the machine

Message Board King holyshinto63's Avatar
    holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: Which one? Squat or Front squat?

Originally posted by FranzLiszt
    Which one is a more dangerous exercise? Squats or Front squat?
    Which one do you people prefer?

I only do squats on the smith machine... But I want to begin doing without the machine
    When using good form, neither are dangerous at all. I prefer that back squat but also do the front squat. Drop the smith machine, doing the free weight squat will be better for you.
    and what exactly is a dream, and what exactly is a joke?

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz

Re: Re: Which one? Squat or Front squat?

Originally posted by holyshinto63
    When using good form, neither are dangerous at all. I prefer that back squat but also do the front squat. Drop the smith machine, doing the free weight squat will be better for you.
    bump...

BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Neither one is dangerous but drop the smith machine, the squats on it are horrible and can lead to injury. Use free weights instead.

EDIT: Squats are better than Front Squats BTW.
    Last edited by BigKazWSM747; 09-08-2003 at 05:33 PM.
    "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." -Henry Kissinger

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster . . . for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I prefer squats over front squats ..........
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    they're both good, do them both
    Booo

amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    oh yea, get out of that smith machine; it can be more harmful to your body and you arn't doing a realistic squat w/ it
    Booo

stl_lev_rone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    squats. i dont like front squats. using the smith is ok if you have real bad knees. but since your probobly young with decent knees i would switch to the free wieght squat.
    got squat?

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

FranzLiszt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FranzLiszt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why do you say that squats on the smith machine is more dangerous than doing free squats? I was always said the opposite...

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why do you say that squats on the smith machine is more dangerous than doing free squats? I was always said the opposite...

Whoever told you is an idiot, you are forced into the strict vertical path of the machine which is not the natural movement of the body.

When using a standard stance the knees will come out over the toes which is seriously bad, adjusting the stance results in unnatural centre of gravity and back position.

Never, ever squat with a smith machine, its just about the best way to wreck your knees and back.
    "my grocery bill looks like a ransom note"

Kayslay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kayslay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kayslay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kayslay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kayslay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kayslay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kayslay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kayslay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kayslay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kayslay is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kayslay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i dont like front squats. using the smith is ok if you have real bad knees.
    no, using the smith machine will give you bad knees.

ive heard the opposite(smith squats are better for you knees if done properly) is true.
    got squat?

bizkit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bizkit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bizkit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bizkit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bizkit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bizkit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bizkit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bizkit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bizkit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bizkit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bizkit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol FLEX was promoting smith machine squats in this month's issue(using Gunter as an example)

it's crap really, just stick to free weight squats
    as D&G said movement on the smith machine isn't natural and could harm your knees
    "There's gotta be some kind of limit on how many times they can keep making money off of these boy bands..."
    Fred Durst

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by stl_lev_rone
    ive heard the opposite(smith squats are better for you knees if done properly) is true.

How can an unnatural range of motion i.e not the one that your body wants to take possibly be better for the joints?

Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do both front and regular squats. I usually alternate between these exercises; for instance, I'll do fronts one week and regulars the next. These exercises are alright so long as you use proper from.
    Current Stats: 5'9"/205 lbs.

My bodybuilding axioms - discipline, hard training, and proper nutrition

as we've been telling you w/ flyes.......put down the flex magazines and step away from it
    Booo

lol. as i've been telling you......flyes do work. and i didnt get that smith thing from flex but from people that seem to know their shi$.
    got squat?

lol. as i've been telling you......flyes do work. and i didnt get that smith thing from flex but from people that seem to know their shi$.
    well obviously they don't...even noobs know that smith machines are the last thing you want to use for many reasons
    Booo

Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by bizkit
    lol FLEX was promoting smith machine squats in this month's issue(using Gunter as an example)
    Tom Prince said something similar in Muscle & Fitness about a year ago. Although I prefer free squats, Smith squats are still OK if you do not have access to a squat rack or power rack. For example, they are better than doing leg extensions and leg curls.
    Always learning.

TheeApprentice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheeApprentice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheeApprentice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheeApprentice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheeApprentice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheeApprentice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheeApprentice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheeApprentice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheeApprentice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheeApprentice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheeApprentice has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For me Front squats are much better than standard barbell squats, Although regular squats have contributed to my leg growth i feel the quads working more with front and have gotten much better results. Remember when squatting to go nice and low! Full front squats are the way to go for serious growth!
    Everybody wants to become a bodybuilder, But don't no one want to lift any heavy ass weights!

But I never heard anyone that was injuried while doing squats on the smith machine but a lot of people have already hurt themselves (serious injuries) while doing regular squats. Do You still think that squats on the smith machine are more dangerous?

a lot of people have already hurt themselves (serious injuries) while doing regular squats.
    because of poor form+too much weight, or becasue they weren't squatting in the powerrack
    Booo

My max is about 360pds (squat - smith machine) for about 8 reps (I only use this weight on my last set)
    How much should I be able to lift doing regular squats and front squats??

It's hard to say but a lot lot less because your stabilizing muscles will be very underdeveloped. People get injured on safe exercies because of poor form

My max is about 360pds (squat - smith machine) for about 8 reps (I only use this weight on my last set)
    How much should I be able to lift doing regular squats and front squats??
    if yo'uve never done front squats before, i'd say start at 100pds.

for regular bb squats, i'd say start at 200 and work up (smith REALLY exagerates your strength)
    Booo

although the smith does exagerate some exercises it does not exagerate strength in all exersices. for example i can shrug 455 for 3 sets of 12 on the smith. free wieghts i can do 3 sets of 455 for 6-8 or do 405 for 3 sets of 12. so i wouldnt say it exagerates it that much. but an opposite example is i can behind the neck shoulder press on the smith 315 for 3 sets of 3 and i dont know (dont know because i havent tried it) that i can do 315 3 sets of 3 on the regular(free wieghts) behind the neck shoulder press. i have never done the shoulder press on anything but the smith so i really dont know what i would be able to do so i dont know if i can really use this as an example of the smith exagerating strength.
    got squat?

You shouldn't press behind the neck

although the smith does exagerate some exercises it does not exagerate strength in all exersices. for example i can shrug 455 for 3 sets of 12 on the smith. free wieghts i can do 3 sets of 455 for 6-8 or do 405 for 3 sets of 12. so i wouldnt say it exagerates it that much. but an opposite example is i can behind the neck shoulder press on the smith 315 for 3 sets of 3 and i dont know (dont know because i havent tried it) that i can do 315 3 sets of 3 on the regular(free wieghts) behind the neck shoulder press. i have never done the shoulder press on anything but the smith so i really dont know what i would be able to do so i dont know if i can really use this as an example of the smith exagerating strength.
    1. behind neck movements are bad

2. yea, try militiary pressing 315, see if you don't get squashed by it, lol. unless you're incredibly strong or weigh like 300, ain't gona happen
    Booo

Lateral Raise Promoter RippedGuitarist's Avatar
    RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah Behind The Neck Presses can be dangerous, if your gonna do them only bring the bar down to the earlobe, when you bring it lower than that it gets dangerous, well at least so I hear. I don't understand why their so dangerous though, my arms in in the exact same position as Dumbell Overhead Press.

Also Smith Machines suck, I used on once and hurt myself. I went to the gym with my uncle and he uses the Smith, so I decided to give it a shot. Its an awkward motion for Squats, when I tried it I injured my back and it was on a warm up set. I couldn't workout for a week after that. Only regular freeweight Squats for me.
    Last edited by RippedGuitarist; 09-10-2003 at 11:57 AM.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by D&G
    You shouldn't press behind the neck
    bump...