zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Grip Upright Row

How do you Grip the bar when you Do upright rows? Close Grip or Shoulder Wide. What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Each?
    ★ Cancer Survivor Crew ★

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    upright row bad, drop them and replace w/ cuban press or cuban rotations
    Booo

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    sack the upright row... it nackers your rotator cuff, but please dont debate that...

Lacrosse828 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how do you do cuban rotations?

amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by Lacrosse828
    how do you do cuban rotations?
    http://www.t-mag.com/html/body_145shldr.html
    Booo

zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) zlmxtd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks for answerin my questions guys
    ★ Cancer Survivor Crew ★

degrat38 is just really nice. (+1000) degrat38 is just really nice. (+1000) degrat38 is just really nice. (+1000) degrat38 is just really nice. (+1000) degrat38 is just really nice. (+1000) degrat38 is just really nice. (+1000) degrat38 is just really nice. (+1000) degrat38 is just really nice. (+1000) degrat38 is just really nice. (+1000) degrat38 is just really nice. (+1000) degrat38 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Agreed. Don't do them, but if you insist, close grip, Take an EZ bar and use that narrow grip. Why do you want to do them so bad?

why not
    ★ Cancer Survivor Crew ★

Originally posted by blinkmanzac
    why not
    because there's far better and less chance of injury exercises
    Booo

EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    upright row bad, drop them and replace w/ cuban press or cuban rotations
    Isn't the first part of the cuban press a partial upright row? Does the fact that you don't bring your elbows above your shoulders make it safer for the rotators?

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by scott_donald
    sack the upright row... it nackers your rotator cuff, but please dont debate that...
    lol if you don't want someone to debate a point, the only way to cover that is by not making it
    I've never read anything scientific backing up that Uprights are bad for RC, just personal experience from the one camp vs personal experience from the other camp

on the occatoins I have done Uprights before I did them 1 arm at a time with DB's

Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have a left shoulder rotator cuff tear (front supraspinatus, old trauma/no surgery). I had to drop dbl upright rows as it hurt too much to do them. The same with side raises with the left. However, I did find out I could do side lateral raises with palm outwards....like pouring can of water instead. This was for therapy at first for endurance and slowly been able to increase the weight.

Military presses with dbls with the palms facing inwards or with a machine that allows me to do so has increased that ability to grow. Military pressing the bb was getting me nowhere due to some left shoulder weakness/impingement from the tear. Frustrating, until I made the change.

Fortunately, I still have quite abit of rotator cuff movement/flexibility . The only pain twinge is when crossing my left over to touch my right shoulder and still some weakness. However, not near as much as when I first started lifting.

There are other similar exercise modifications where the shoulder does not have to rotate as much internally, lessening the chances of impingement/injury.

It might be one camp vs. another. All I know is what my situation called for and the adaptations made.
    Last edited by Laurie; 09-09-2003 at 01:14 AM.

Originally posted by EAE
    Isn't the first part of the cuban press a partial upright row? Does the fact that you don't bring your elbows above your shoulders make it safer for the rotators?
    yes, the upright row itself isn't totally bad. it's the upper part of it that's bad (which is where the cuban press stops and converts intio a cuban rotation which then goes into a military press)
    Booo

powergrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powergrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powergrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powergrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powergrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powergrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powergrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powergrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powergrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powergrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powergrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are the Cuban Rotations mainly for the shoulder or the traps?
    Do they work the traps as much as uprights do?

Originally posted by powergrip
    Are the Cuban Rotations mainly for the shoulder or the traps?
    Do they work the traps as much as uprights do?
    shoulders.
    Booo

Lateral Raise Promoter RippedGuitarist's Avatar
    RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For Upright Rows if your gonna do them don't bring the bar about shoulder height, this is where the problem starts to occur for most people. I don't really do them anymore to be honest, but if I just bring the bar to shoulder height, so my upper arms are parallel with the floor.

Also I believe that the problem with Upright Rows is that your moving your shoulder in 2 directions at once. Your lifting up and rotating your shoulders at the same time, which can be dangerous.

Cuban Rotations your elbows stay in a fixed position, your only rotating them, not moving in any other directions. And they do work the shoulder primarily, and they actually strengthen the rotator cuff right amusclehead?

Cuban Presses you do move in 2 directions, but the movements are complete separate, making it much safer than Uprights.

Message Board King holyshinto63's Avatar
    holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i just don't get it, i hear "if your going to do the upright row, only bring it to your the middle of your chest" (not ment towards ripped)...but why the hell would you do an exercise that you can't get a full ROM on, thats like saying well i'm only gonna do half leg extensions since they hurt my knees if i do the full ROM.
    and what exactly is a dream, and what exactly is a joke?

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Laurie
    I have a left shoulder rotator cuff tear (front supraspinatus, old trauma/no surgery). I had to drop dbl upright rows as it hurt too much to do them. The same with side raises with the left. However, I did find out I could do side lateral raises with palm outwards....like pouring can of water instead. This was for therapy at first for endurance and slowly been able to increase the weight.

Military presses with dbls with the palms facing inwards or with a machine that allows me to do so has increased that ability to grow. Military pressing the bb was getting me nowhere due to some left shoulder weakness/impingement from the tear. Frustrating, until I made the change.

Fortunately, I still have quite abit of rotator cuff movement/flexibility . The only pain twinge is when crossing my left over to touch my right shoulder and still some weakness. However, not near as much as when I first started lifting.

There are other similar exercise modifications where the shoulder does not have to rotate as much internally, lessening the chances of impingement/injury.

It might be one camp vs. another. All I know is what my situation called for and the adaptations made.
    have you seen a doctor about rehab?

ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have done them on and off for 4-5 years and I have never had any shoulder problems. They are not a staple of my routine and I cycle the use of them far apart.
    When I do use them it is with a fairly narrow grip. I grip the bar and extend my thumbs towards each other when the tips touch I know I have the proper grip for myself. I am not arguing if they are bad or not, it is just I have never had any problems when doing them.
    Vae Victus

Originally posted by ManOfSteel-138
    I have done them on and off for 4-5 years and I have never had any shoulder problems. .
    i also did them for years w/o problems. the damage isn't immediate, it's gradually built up over time such that u don't see it until its too late
    Booo

ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ManOfSteel-138 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i also did them for years w/o problems. the damage isn't immediate, it's gradually built up over time such that u don't see it until its too late
    What are some of the signs that you first started seeing/feeling? Or do you even get such a warning?
    Vae Victus

why is it with some muscles that happens
    and other muscles adapt and improve
    wtf is up with that..

Lateral Raise Promoter RippedGuitarist's Avatar
    RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by holyshinto63
    i just don't get it, i hear "if your going to do the upright row, only bring it to your the middle of your chest" (not ment towards ripped)...but why the hell would you do an exercise that you can't get a full ROM on, thats like saying well i'm only gonna do half leg extensions since they hurt my knees if i do the full ROM.
    Actually I agree, but in this case I have a reason for doing this with a shortened ROM. For one when you bring them higher than shoulder height the traps seem to take over a bit, and when I do Uprights its for Shoulders only. Plus when I go any higher its uncomfortable for me.

And I definitely don't need the extra trap work, my traps grow a little too well sometimes, and I don't like overdeveloped traps.