bwaclawc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Do all programs start so light?

Just curious.

I've been looking at programs to try and find one I want to do next.

All of them have you start at a weight that seems too light to do any good to me.

I understand you need to ramp up throughout the program, but it seems like the first several weeks would be too light of a weight to make a difference or give you any kind of good workout.

Is this normal?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's part of a planned mesocycle in a periodised program. Don't assume it's "not doing you any good" because it's a submaximal load. This kind of programming has been shown to bust through previous plateaus many times in the past. The idea is that you are still getting in volume but giving your nervous system a rest from failure or near failure training which has a particularly large impact on accumulated fatigue.

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It's part of a planned mesocycle in a periodised program. Don't assume it's "not doing you any good" because it's a submaximal load. This kind of programming has been shown to bust through previous plateaus many times in the past. The idea is that you are still getting in volume but giving your nervous system a rest from failure or near failure training which has a particularly large impact on accumulated fatigue.
    This ^^^

Starting too agressively leaves little room for consistent progression and development.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

▬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) ▬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm doing this program right now http://www.bluestarnutraceuticals.co...-you-workouts/ it's "light" weight 50-60% of your 1RM..Very challenging if you do it correctly and keep the tempo
    Never give up

Fight for what YOU believe in

Push past the threshold

Pain is only temporary, but glory last a lifetime

Instagram: @dp_808

superpumphenry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superpumphenry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superpumphenry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superpumphenry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superpumphenry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superpumphenry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superpumphenry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superpumphenry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superpumphenry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superpumphenry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superpumphenry is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    They make you start light at first, because if you trained at maximal poundage the first week then you would stall much quicker.
    My lifts:
    Bench: 275x1
    Squat: 315x4
    Deadlift: 405x1
    Military: 155x1

Cool. Thanks for the replies.

Just wanted to make sure I was seeing it right.

KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree you need to start with a weight you can easily complete the first week but to waste time like starting with the bar is pretty idiotic if you have any experience. Feel free to start with decent weight but dont ego lift off the bat of you will start failing your rep ranges fast

Obviously not the bar.

Most programs say to start with a percentage of your max or to start with your 10 rep max or something like that. But even those weights seem too light to me to do any good.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    "seem"

As long as you start a cycle with at least 55-60% of 1RM you are probably doing useful work and setting yourself up for supercompensation later on in the training cycle.

hilts1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bwaclawc View Post
    Just curious.

All of them have you start at a weight that seems too light to do any good to me.

I understand you need to ramp up throughout the program, but it seems like the first several weeks would be too light of a weight to make a difference or give you any kind of good workout.

Is this normal?
    Just started stronglifts this week and planned to follow it to the letter, lasted 7 minutes before i upped the weight, if you already have a certain amount of strength seems daft spending weeks losing it just to build it up again, have picked a weight that i can do the 5x5 whilst checking out/refining my technique, need to keep that back straight as a habit before i go balls out

BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bwaclawc View Post
    Just curious.

Is this normal?
    Its called accumulation. Every training session builds on the last one, producing an effect that is more profound then the two sessions combined. If you were to just start off with weights that are maximal, you're not going to see any progress. There is simply no room for you to accumulate adaptations to allow you to lift weights beyond your previous best.
    Strong, aesthetic crew.

My Definitely Not 5/3/1 Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167683321&p=1366691651#post1366691651

Current gym total: 1250@ 218. Goal: 1400 by the end of 2015.

Music to lift heavy stuff: Asking Alexandria, We Came as Romans, Bring Me the Horizon, Jamie's Elsewhere