Thread: Stuck

dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Stuck

Hi there

I've started weightlifting 2 months ago and hired an online coach, I am 26, 5'4, 111 lbs, 15% bf and eating around 2400 cals a day to bulk. I lift 5 days a week, plus one day of circuit/crossfit. Cardio is only 30 minutes a week.

I dont gain, and am stuck at the same weights for weeks... Especially for arms workouts: lateral raises for example are really low, and if I try to up the weights I lift with a poor form risking to hurt my spine...

I'm skinny and I really want to move things but I just can't. Any help would be really appreciated!

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You need to eat more. Simple as that. Butter, full fat dairy, oils, fatty meats, more ice cream...Hagen Dasz anyone?

Strength can't go up if you don't eat enough.

Maybe your routine has too much volume? What program are you following?
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50) dominorosae will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi and thank you. Will do that, definitely.

Program is a "custom" one made by my coach. My routine:

Day 1:
    Sumo deadlifts 4x8
    Weighted Walking Lunges 4x16
    Glute ham raises 4x5
    Barbell hip thrusters 4x8
    Kettlebell One-Leg Deadlift 4x8 each
    Smith Machine Reverse Lunge 4x8
    One-leg leg press 4x8 each leg

Day 2:
    Pull Ups : too weak
    Cable Crossovers 4x8
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 8x10
    Barbell Bench Press 4x8
    One Arm Dumbbell Row 4x8 each arm
    Push-Ups 5x12-15

Day 3:
    Arnold press 4x8
    Side Lateral Raise 4x8
    **Superset with
    Front Dumbbell Raise 4x8
    Seated Bent Over Delt Raise 4x8
    Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl 4x8
    Incline Dumbbell Curl 4x8
    Tricep Bench Dip 4x15
    Skullcrushers 4x10

Day 4:
    Front Squat 4x8
    Single leg Barbell Squat 4x8 each
    Cable One-Leg Standing Extension 4x8 each
    Reverse Hip Abductor Machine 4x10
    Leg Extensions 4x8
    Dumbbells step ups 4x12
    Standing Calf Raises 3x15
    Seated Calf Raises 3x15

Day 5: Full Body circuit (plyo)

BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would say, Keep at it and don't be afraid to eat even more and lift even heavier (lower reps). Also don't be afraid to put more BIGGER MOVES in your workouts-- lots of what you are doing looks auxiliary. More SQUATS, DEADS, LAT PULLS, ROWS, PRESSES, Leg press, hack squats, etc...Big muscle focus on LEGS, BACK and CHEST
    Your BuffMother, Michelle Berger
    Owner http://www.BuffMother.com

Current journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169126173&page=1

ok! Do you have a good premade routine or program to suggest? Been lifting for only 2 months so don't really know how to build a good one on my own :/ I thought focusing on arms would help to grow my tiny skinny arms but no results so far.

As for nutrition, I'll try 2600 and see where it goes

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dominorosae View Post
    ok! Do you have a good premade routine or program to suggest? Been lifting for only 2 months so don't really know how to build a good one on my own :/ I thought focusing on arms would help to grow my tiny skinny arms but no results so far.

As for nutrition, I'll try 2600 and see where it goes
    I def wouldn't build my own routine at this point. But I see you are on a 5 day split? And I think newbies usually make better gains with more frequency per muscle per week. Maybe a full body 3 x per week, or a push/pull or upper/lower split. If you have hired a trainer though, and are not happy with how you feel or question whether he has you on the best plan, you might want to ask them about it.

Personally I think you'd do better with a routine like Starting Strength. Just the basic compound lifts for 6 months or so, then branch out from there when you're stronger and have more stamina.

Will talk with my trainer about this. What did you mean by the 5 days split ? Should I lower the number of workout days? Sorry I am french and don't understand correctly sometimes )

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Le "5 day split" est chaque parties du corps par jour (lundi à vendredi). Par exemple, l'abdo le lundi, la poitrine le mardi, les jambes le mercredi, and so on... 5 jour, 5 parties du corps. Mais ce n'est pas pour un débutant.

Excuse my dialect, I'm Canadian...

Haaaaa ok! Merci

In the Super Strenght program there is only 3 workout days, is it "enough"? Will read the book

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Haaaaa ok! Merci

In the Super Strenght program there is only 3 workout days, is it "enough"? Will read the book
    Starting Strength par Mark Rippetoe est pour les débutants qui veulent agrandir les poids. C'est 3 jour par semaine est juste 3 exercises (squat/bench/deadlift ans squat/presse/deadlift). C'est pour strength et les poids. Oui, c'est enough!

You add weights each workout so it starts easy but it gets difficult.

Okay thank you! Will start on monday.

Quick question: I dont have a squat rack (my gym sucks yep), is it ok to perform squats on the Smith?

Okay thank you! Will start on monday.

Quick question: I dont have a squat rack (my gym sucks yep), is it ok to perform squats on the Smith?
    The smith machine isn't the same but use whatever you have

What do you mean by not the same?

What do you mean by not the same?
    The smith does some of the work for you - the free weight bar forces you to work harder at form and path.

But you are fairly new and light weight, those are just details and you can still make progress on a smith.

Yes that's what I've read about squatting on a Smith... But you reassure me thank you I can only lift 35/40 kg for now

It's me again!

Just a quick question: as my goal is to build muscle, I'm pretty confused on SS. Ive read other reviews on the forum and apparently the program is meant to build strength only, not mass...

So why should I follow it? And is it a good think to eat on a surplus (bulk) on this kind of program?

Up

It's me again!

Just a quick question: as my goal is to build muscle, I'm pretty confused on SS. Ive read other reviews on the forum and apparently the program is meant to build strength only, not mass...

So why should I follow it? And is it a good think to eat on a surplus (bulk) on this kind of program?
    SS is a great strength building program for a beginner. If your primary goal is to gain mass, you need a program that has more volume (more reps per set, more sets in general). You still need a basic program though.

Ok like which one?