NewDaysAhead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trying to figure out nutrition, caloric needs, confusion

Hey guys!

Background: 5'9", 160 lb skinny fat newb, 24 years old, just started doing a ghetto version Mehdi's 5x5 so thats 3 days of lifting per week, planning to add some very light cardio (maybe jog a mile 1-3 days in a week).

I'm using scooby's calculator but I'm not really sure what I should be putting for the activity level.

The options are:

-Desk job with little exercise
    -1-3 hrs/wk light exercise
    -3-5 hrs/wk moderate exercise
    -5-6 hrs/wk strenuous exercise
    -7-21 hrs/wk strenuous exercise/work

The workouts don't take very at all in the beginning (probably about 40 min- 1 hr) but my understanding is that this will change once the weight goes up due to more rest being needed. What do you guys recommend I choose for this? My guess is it's either the 2nd or 3rd option. Keeping everything else the same, the daily caloric requirement range with a goal of "clean bulk" selected is about 2700-3000 calories. Should I just go with about 2850 cals/day?

I just started tracking my calories for the first time ever, with the myfitnesspal app-this thing is pretty nice. After a few days, I was surprised at how little I actually eat. I probably average around 2000 calories/day. I was fairly confident that I ate around 2700 calories. During the week, I'm completely satisfied hunger wise with as low as 1800 calories but then I eat around 2200-2400 calories on the weekend. Anyways, I tried eating around 2600 calories and found that it was a struggle. I'm not sure how I'm going to consistently eat 2700-3000 calories. One thing I found that helped was drinking milk. If I hit my macros, does it matter if I just want to drink milk to get 500 cals or so?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by NewDaysAhead View Post
    Hey guys!

Background: 5'9", 160 lb skinny fat newb, 24 years old, just started doing a ghetto version Mehdi's 5x5 so thats 3 days of lifting per week, planning to add some very light cardio (maybe jog a mile 1-3 days in a week).

I'm using scooby's calculator but I'm not really sure what I should be putting for the activity level.

The options are:

-Desk job with little exercise
    -1-3 hrs/wk light exercise
    -3-5 hrs/wk moderate exercise
    -5-6 hrs/wk strenuous exercise
    -7-21 hrs/wk strenuous exercise/work

The workouts don't take very at all in the beginning (probably about 40 min- 1 hr) but my understanding is that this will change once the weight goes up due to more rest being needed. What do you guys recommend I choose for this? My guess is it's either the 2nd or 3rd option. Keeping everything else the same, the daily caloric requirement range with a goal of "clean bulk" selected is about 2700-3000 calories. Should I just go with about 2850 cals/day?

I just started tracking my calories for the first time ever, with the myfitnesspal app-this thing is pretty nice. After a few days, I was surprised at how little I actually eat. I probably average around 2000 calories/day. I was fairly confident that I ate around 2700 calories. During the week, I'm completely satisfied hunger wise with as low as 1800 calories but then I eat around 2200-2400 calories on the weekend. Anyways, I tried eating around 2600 calories and found that it was a struggle. I'm not sure how I'm going to consistently eat 2700-3000 calories. One thing I found that helped was drinking milk. If I hit my macros, does it matter if I just want to drink milk to get 500 cals or so?
    With any calculator formula, the best you can expect to get is a baseline number from which to use as a rough starting point. You'd then fill that number with the appropriate amount of protein, carbs, and fat, and choose food items that will also provide adequate micro-nutrients (vitamins, minerals,etc.).

Go with your 2850 number, and after 3-4 weeks of consistency, see where that takes you. If your weight hasn't changed in a favorable manner by then, make adjustments in your calorie intake, up or down, as you see fit.

Not generally a fan of scooby and his nutrition advices. I suggest you spend some time here:

*Emma-Leigh's Nutrition for noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851

*Emma Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183

There's a LOT of information to wade through ^^^^ here, but if you put in the time and effort, you'll come out on the other end much more knowledgeable about what's really rewuired to build mass or lose body fat while building overall good health in the process. You won't find any BS, broscience, or nonsense in these links.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Bastiat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bastiat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bastiat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bastiat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bastiat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bastiat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bastiat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bastiat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bastiat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bastiat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bastiat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NewDaysAhead View Post
    As Ironwill mentioned, your personal actual calorie requirements is going to be found through trial and error. Calculators are good for a starting place, but real solid levels can only be found experimentally. As far as getting your calories in goes, make sure you are meeting your daily proteins AND fats. some people like to skimp on the fats because fats=bad right? No your body does need fats. and fats are 9 calories/gram so that can really help out. At your weight, you are looking for around 75g fats/day as a minimum.

Now, getting your calories in can be tough if you are just trying to get more of the same things you have been eating. Go to the baking section of a warehouse store (Sams, BJs, etc) and get yourself a couple pound bag of almonds, walnuts and semisweet chocolate and make yourself some trail mix. Doing it yourself lets you micromanage calories and macros. You can also grab some raisins, or other items there as you want, but the first 3 will meet the purpose. Almonds are 100 cals/17.5g. Walnuts are 100cals/15.4g. and chocolate is 140cals/oz (28g). the calorie/volume ratio on these is really high and can be used to fill in calories as needed. Milk can do the same. You can also get yourself some icecream and top it with some natural peanutbutter. The all natural peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts, salt.) I get is 200 cals/32g.

Also, dont be afraid of 80% ground beef or breakfast sausage sometimes. both can be higher calorie, particularly the sausage.