teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help! Skinny Fat, Working Hard, Eating Well but Not Losing Fat!

Hi All! I'm 29, I'm 114 lbs, 5'5. I was stick skinny (100lbs) last year and because I moved to Asia, I gained about 10-15 lbs over the course of 2-3 months, at which point I found a tumor on my breast and was diagnosed with breast cancer.

One of the things to prevent cancer recurrence is to reduce body fat so I've been working really hard...

Everyday, I do the deck of cards work out (20 minutes of high intensity interval training) as well as 3 min plank (1 regular + both sides), and sometimes 20 minutes power yoga session.

My diet is vegan with occasional seafood. I don't eat any bread, any pasta, any rice (for 5 months now), any sugar... (i use 1 stevia for my coffee).. I recently started logging on my fitness pal app for every single thing I eat and I am maintaining a daily intake of 1250 calories. I don't go crazy on fruits, I maybe have 1 apple a day in my green shakes so it doesn't taste like garbage juice :/

I CANNOT seem to lose any fat. Yes, I've gained muscle for sure. My abs are pretty defined but there is this nice chunky layer of fat on top of it!

I feel extremely out of control with my body and I'm really scared of the cancer returning partially because I haven't done my job in lowering my body fat %.

What am I doing wrong? I eat so much vegetables, fruit, protein powder... My current average ratio looks like around 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein.... though I'm aiming for 50% carbs, 20% fat and 30% protein.

What should I do? What am i doing wrong? Am i eating too little? Did my metabolism take a big crap somehow? Yes I was extremely skinny when I was 100 lbs last year, unhealthily so. I was partying too much and was just malnourished. But now, I could really benefit from losing 5lbs... My goal is 107lbs.

Please, any pointers would be amazing! I've always eaten a lot, in my entire life. Now I'm eating less but not seeing results at all so I just feel so out of control with my body, like I don't know it at all. If I dont know my body, how am I going to cure my cancer????

Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    - How long have you been working out? Do you do any form of strength training?
    - Do you weigh your food or use measuring cups/bowls?
    - You're at a good weight for your height, probably even at the lower end for your height. There's fat there because you're undermuscled. No matter how much you slim down, you're going to have 'jiggle' unless you put on muscle. Eat a surplus to gain muscle. Then at a deficit to cut the fat away and reveal them.
    52kg USAPL Raw Powerlifter
    I'm going to be strong someday.

beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Okay, there's a lot going on in your post. First things first: I understand you're worried about your body fat due to cancer, but at 5'5" and 115 pounds, you don't really have any body fat to lose & doing so is not going to be helpful at this point. I think what you are misunderstanding is that people who have a lot of body fat to lose should do so to prevent cancer from reoccuring. While you may consider yourself "skinny fat," at your stats your body fat is NOTHING to worry about.

That being said, if you are not happy with your body composition your best bet is to gain muscle. You are undereating at only 1250 calories. You are already on the lower end of acceptable weight for your height, and your "goal" or 107 would put you underweight & it is not advisable the you keep trying to lose weight at all.

Please read the stickies about calculating macro nutrient requirements: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380533

And get yourself on a solid weight lifting program & stop endless hours of cardio:

All Pro’s Beginner Routine

http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.c...r_Routine_Wiki

Starting Strength Routine

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm

StrongLifts 5 x 5

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/
    GAT JetFuel Pyro Log (Finished): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165341291

teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teenangst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys. Yes, I'm using a scale to measure everything I eat. Maybe I have a body image issue, I've fully considered this. I'm just used to a really skinny look so this is kinda big for me.

So you're saying that my restrictive diet is preventing me from losing weight? So instead of further restricting, I should eat more?? It really does feel like I'm exercising a whole lot, breaking sweat everyday but not losing that bit of fat. So I need to bulk up then slim down?

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by teenangst View Post
    Thanks guys. Yes, I'm using a scale to measure everything I eat. Maybe I have a body image issue, I've fully considered this. I'm just used to a really skinny look so this is kinda big for me.

So you're saying that my restrictive diet is preventing me from losing weight? So instead of further restricting, I should eat more?? It really does feel like I'm exercising a whole lot, breaking sweat everyday but not losing that bit of fat. So I need to bulk up then slim down?
    You're underweight, pure and simple. If you had any muscle mass whatsoever, you would not be unhappy with how you look at that weight. In fact, if you had a decent muscle foundation (nothing big even, just decent), you'd be pretty lean at 120-125. You say you feel fat, which tells me you are sporting zero muscle.

You can't afford to keep cutting. You need to gain muscle. Whether you realize it or not, you are in disordered body image territory. It's not healthy and it's impeding your goals. You are literally shooting yourself in the foot by working out and starving yourself.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    You're underweight, pure and simple. If you had any muscle mass whatsoever, you would not be unhappy with how you look at that weight. In fact, if you had a decent muscle foundation (nothing big even, just decent), you'd be pretty lean at 120-125. You say you feel fat, which tells me you are sporting zero muscle.

You can't afford to keep cutting. You need to gain muscle. Whether you realize it or not, you are in disordered body image territory. It's not healthy and it's impeding your goals. You are literally shooting yourself in the foot by working out and starving yourself.
    Agree 100%

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post

Well, thank you. That's a very valuable perspective and I fully embrace it. WHEW! You mean I can eat more? NO MORE RESTRICTING MY INNER DESIRE TO LIVE/BREATHE/BE MERRY?

A W E S O M E!!!!

What do I need to do? I already eat really well, I basically don't consume ANY garbage food. The worst thing I eat are nuts. Are nuts good or bad? Sometimes I think I go a bit overboard, I have an issue of stopping myself which I realize may come from a deeper underlying notion of SCARCITY in my daily living. But I digress.

So basically, I am underweight and I'm not building any muscle even though I'm working out because I'm not eating a surplus of calories/macronutrients than what my body needs just to live. So I need to eat more good stuff in order to actually satiate my body's needs PLUS build muscle.

Instead of eating 1250 calories, what should I aim for? Around 1500-1800?

And is my protein/carb/fat ratio OK at 30%50%20%?

Would eating a vegetable diet suffice in my venture to build muscle? How important is meat/fish here?

Sorry for all the questions, sorry any if you can, if not, still amazing. THANK YOU. I feel like I just got a huge relief cuz I felt like my body is damned cuz i just couldn't get the few pounds off (evidence of more hints of deeper self-love issues here).

Thanks everyone. Bless the forums.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well, thank you. That's a very valuable perspective and I fully embrace it. WHEW! You mean I can eat more? NO MORE RESTRICTING MY INNER DESIRE TO LIVE/BREATHE/BE MERRY?

A W E S O M E!!!!

What do I need to do? I already eat really well, I basically don't consume ANY garbage food. The worst thing I eat are nuts. Are nuts good or bad? Sometimes I think I go a bit overboard, I have an issue of stopping myself which I realize may come from a deeper underlying notion of SCARCITY in my daily living. But I digress.

So basically, I am underweight and I'm not building any muscle even though I'm working out because I'm not eating a surplus of calories/macronutrients than what my body needs just to live. So I need to eat more good stuff in order to actually satiate my body's needs PLUS build muscle.

Would eating a vegetable diet suffice in my venture to build muscle? How important is meat/fish here?

Sorry for all the questions, sorry any if you can, if not, still amazing. THANK YOU. I feel like I just got a huge relief cuz I felt like my body is damned cuz i just couldn't get the few pounds off (evidence of more hints of deeper self-love issues here).

I just wanted to say that this whole post made me want to do a little happy dance.

Someone who actually comes in and is willing to listen is refreshing, and to see that you also see the connections to the deeper issues is nice too. Means you are insightful and if you recognize the problem, you are on the road to success.

Your body isnt damned, just needs a reverse in direction
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you want some advice on diet, try reading the posts at the top of the Nutrition forum (the 'stickies'). Macronutrient ratios are kind of outdated--you just need a minimum of .45 grams per lb bodyweight of fat, .82 grams/lb protein, and carbs to fill up the rest.

Eating a ton of protein isn't necessary--really anything over 1g/lb would be pointless--so it is possible to meet your minimums on a vegetarian diet, especially if you include eggs and cheese (and you do need to think about your calcium intake as a low-weight female; while dairy isn't the only source it's a good one and also contains Vitamin D).

Nuts are fine (good source of fat and some protein and even carbs) but try to get varied fat sources, not all of your fat from nuts. Try avocado, full-fat dairy, olive oil, etc.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

A W E S O M E!!!!

Someone your age, height, activity level should eat enough to gain around 1/2 lb per week to add muscle. You'll have to play with the numbers some, but I'm guessing 2000-2400 per day.

NUTS ARE GOOD FOR YOU!!! And treats/junk/goodies ARE NOT BAD FOR YOU. Got to get out of this way of thinking RIGHT AWAY. Your job is to hit your target calories, eat enough protein and fats, and generally eat 75% "healthy". It's totally fine and healthy and smart to learn how to eat the treats in moderation - neither avoiding them like the plague nor binging on them. Let's work on developing a healthy relationship with food, shall we?

You need at least 120g of protein per day. Can you get that with a vegetarian diet? That is up to you. Some people do it - I couldn't.
    You need at least 60g of fat. You need to figure out how to get that. Can come from "healthy" sources like nuts, avocados, etc, or pizza and ice cream.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Go here and learn how to calculate your cals/macros for weight gain. Percentages don't matter. 30/50/20 tells us nothing and means nothing if you're under eating. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380533

Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Check out macros here as well: http://www.iifym.com for bulking, maintaining, or cutting.

You may have to adjust up to keep gaining over a couple months. I increased from 1,750 to about 2,000 in order to keep gaining slowly over the last several months.
    Under Construction.