millsy555 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Glucose powder for PWO

I see glucose powder in supermarkets and it is relatively cheap. Is this suitable to be used as a post workout drink after an intense workout? Just mixing it with water. Or maybe some whey with it too?

NpNg. Let's train diguincoutoreis's Avatar
    diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    As i know, can be taken anytime through the day. Doesn't matter pwo or not.

You can split the dosages too.
    ~ GrowUpOrDieTryin'
    "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
    This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance." 1 Timothy 4:8-10
    "Or don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by millsy555 View Post
    I see glucose powder in supermarkets and it is relatively cheap. Is this suitable to be used as a post workout drink after an intense workout? Just mixing it with water. Or maybe some whey with it too?
    You don't need glucose powder at all. Just eat food post workout.
    1. Brady's balls were perfect crew
    4. Mopar Manlet Crew

bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Immediate post workout carbohydrate ingestion is most ppertinent in those engaging in multiple bouts of exercise per day.

If you are training once per day for body composition and are eating meals relatively frequently it is of minimal importance.
    PEScience Representative
    www.bodybuilding.com/store/physique-enhancing-science.html

www.********.com/bencarpenterpersonaltraining
    www.instagram.com/bdccarpenter
    www.youtube.com/bcpersonaltraining
    www.twitter.com/bdccarpenter

I never have an appetite for at least an hour after an extremely intense workout. That's why I like to replace my glycogen levels ASAP with a drink.

bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bencarpenter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I never have an appetite for at least an hour after an extremely intense workout. That's why I like to replace my glycogen levels ASAP with a drink.
    Glycogen replenishment isn't urgent if your goal is body composition, hence my post.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
    PEScience Representative

tmd17 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmd17 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmd17 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmd17 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmd17 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmd17 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmd17 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmd17 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmd17 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmd17 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmd17 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just eat regular meals throughout the day. It will be enough to replenish your glycogen stores.
    VELOCITY NUTRITION

Gym Rock Music - Spotify Playlist
    27k followers, 300+ songs

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you wont need to, if you have a proper pre-workout meal or utilize any form of intra-workout BCAA or carb powder food is still digseting or will overlap. so the need for something immediately is not as necessary as you think.

Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just eat a banana. Problem solved.

-Spaz

Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    you wont need to, if you have a proper pre-workout meal or utilize any form of intra-workout BCAA or carb powder food is still digseting or will overlap. so the need for something immediately is not as necessary as you think.
    I prefer to have a shake post workout rather than during the workout as during the workout can sometimes make me feel bloated.

I prefer to have a shake post workout rather than during the workout as during the workout can sometimes make me feel bloated.
    There would be no need for a shake intra-workout especially if you have a proper pre-workout nutrition due to food overlapping and still being in the system into the post-workout period.

I've done a bit of research on this topic over the last few days and it definitely is a very controversial topic. Some say you don't need PWO carbs, other say you do need it. However the general consensus is that glucose (or dextrose as it is more commonly called in the US) is recommended for immediate consumption after an intense workout. Better again combine it with maltodrexin, whey, BCAAs, and juice.

DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    OP asks for advice. Advice is given by respected members of the forum. OP comments on how the advice is incorrect. Just another day in the BB.com forums

OP - As others have said, dosing carbs post-workout has benefits IF your plan to train again, or have another activity session later in the day. You're better off having something pre or intra as this will improve performance. If you really want some carbs post workout grab some pop-tarts or chocolate milk.

Edit: If taking normal carbs (dextrose, glucose, malto, etc.) intra makes you feel bloated, you may be the kind of person that could benefit from HBCD, like in Intra-MD - it sits very easy in the stomach.
    I'm the clever one, you're the potato one.

Originally Posted by DGarcia519 View Post
    OP asks for advice. Advice is given by respected members of the forum. OP comments on how the advice is incorrect. Just another day in the BB.com forums
    I didn't mean to come across as disrespectful (if I did). I was just pointing out that from my research on the topic that I have come across mixed results, and from people that appear to be experts on the topic. I appreciate all feedback I receive.

DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DGarcia519 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I didn't mean to come across as disrespectful (if I did). I was just pointing out that from my research on the topic that I have come across mixed results, and from people that appear to be experts on the topic. I appreciate all feedback I receive.
    It happens. I've done the same thing - you come in with an idea in your head for one reason or another and it's hard to shake it.

My point was, taking carbs post workout can be very beneficial in the right circumstances. If you play a sport and train (lift) in the am and practice in the afternoon, or do 2-a-day training sessions, than yes it's very beneficial and recommended. If you're training for aesthetics though, I would focus more on your daily nutrition. If you're like me and have trouble eating a solid meal too close to your workout (pre or post), I would look at some BCAAs/EAAs as well as an easy to digest carb like HBCD (Highly branched cyclic dextrin) to take pre and intra. HBCD sits a lot easier on the stomach if you have issues with normal carbs, but will still provide the benefits to endurance/performance. As far as post, seriously consider chocolate milk or something like poptarts 30 minutes after training.

DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DasBiceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Where do you do your research?
    4. Mopar Manlet Crew

Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DGarcia519 View Post
    As far as post, seriously consider chocolate milk or something like poptarts 30 minutes after training.
    Again, WTF is with this poptart obsession? Compared to poptarts and needless fillers and crap in them, dextrose is defintitely a better choice. To say ditch dextrose, eat poptarts instead is just ludicrous and shows similar ineptness that OP has been accused of.

Is dextrose/carbs needed post workouts? Who knows. Studies I have seen so far are inconclusive at best. Taking any conclusion from any study and treat it as gospel (as some do) is just nonsense. Try it and see if it works for you. But let's not crap all over people just because they are considering ingesting some <gasp> dextrose.

Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DasBiceps View Post
    Read some Aragon entries, for instance. For someone who is worshipped around here, he comes up with surprisingly many inconclusive conclusions.

Originally Posted by DasBiceps View Post
    A lot of sites that came up on Google. And numerous threads on this site.

Originally Posted by Rushie View Post
    Read some Aragon entries, for instance. For someone who is worshipped around here, he comes up with surprisingly many inconclusive conclusions.
    I have noticed a lot of conflicting comments from high count posters with high reps. Problem with any forum is that people assume that someone with 10k+ posts is an expert and the newbies to a forum are amateurs.

But like I already said I appreciate all feedback and will make up my own mind on what to utilise.

mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Big_Spaz View Post
    Just eat a banana. Problem solved.
    -Spaz
    Was going to say this. Marketing has destroyed real food.

A lot of sites that came up on Google. And numerous threads on this site.
    Depends where you find your info and if they are credivle, But honestly 8 would go with a banana or apple, though I wouldn't stress over it
    4. Mopar Manlet Crew

I have noticed a lot of conflicting comments from high count posters with high reps. Problem with any forum is that people assume that someone with 10k+ posts is an expert and the newbies to a forum are amateurs.

But like I already said I appreciate all feedback and will make up my own mind on what to utilise.
    I think you have the right approach there.

Again, WTF is with this poptart obsession? Compared to poptarts and needless fillers and crap in them, dextrose is defintitely a better choice. To say ditch dextrose, eat poptarts instead is just ludicrous and shows similar ineptness that OP has been accused of.

Is dextrose/carbs needed post workouts? Who knows. Studies I have seen so far are inconclusive at best. Taking any conclusion from any study and treat it as gospel (as some do) is just nonsense. Try it and see if it works for you. But let's not crap all over people just because they are considering ingesting some <gasp> dextrose.
    How could I forget that poptarts are the food of the devil? Did you know if California they also give you cancer!

The link in my post above is the most recent meta analysis covering all relevant literature on the topic.

If you want to understand post workout nutrition, read it thoroughly.
    PEScience Representative

Originally Posted by bencarpenter View Post
    The link in my post above is the most recent meta analysis covering all relevant literature on the topic.

If you want to understand post workout nutrition, read it thoroughly.
    So should you IMO. There are a lot of "may" "might" + "body of research has several limitations", etc. (like most studies and/or meta analysis out there it seems). Too many to claim that reading it will somehow lead to real understanding of post workout nutrition.

So should you IMO. There are a lot of "may" "might" + "body of research has several limitations", etc. (like most studies and/or meta analysis out there it seems). Too many to claim that reading it will somehow lead to real understanding of post workout nutrition.
    Here you are then

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277409
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17617942

For most of us who train with an intra-workout BCAA or pre-workout meal there is stil food overlap as i touched in the other thread, do we need to spike insulin? absolutely not, food is still digesting, aminos are still present, so do we really need simple carbs post-workout not really..

Could they be optimal .. sure why not? but remember the total calories/macros if meeting your protein/fat/fiber minimums on a daily basis are optimal for your goal.

more:

he postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

Here's what you're not seeming to grasp: the "windows" for taking advantage of nutrient timing are not little peepholes. They're more like bay windows of a mansion. You're ignoring just how long the anabolic effects are of a typical mixed meal. Depending on the size of a meal, it takes a good 1-2 hours for circulating substrate levels to peak, and it takes a good 3-6 hours (or more) for everythng to drop back down to baseline.

You're also ignoring the fact that the anabolic effects of a meal are maxed out at much lower levels than typical meals drive insulin & amino acids up to. Furthermore, you're also ignoring the body's ability of anabolic (& fat-oxidative) supercompensation when forced to work in the absence of fuels. So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

More:

"ou do not need to neccessarily "spike" insulin for creatine to be maximally absorbed, but yes insulin is involved with the trasnsport.

FYI: The insulin and creatine studies I have seen up to this point have involved taking the glucose 30 minutes after the creatine. This may be because the insulin release from the dextrose doesn't entirely coincident with the pharmacokinetics of the creatine absorption.

Personally I think more consistent waves of insulin may be more anabolic than "spikes" anyway. This is because smoother waves of insulin more than likely affect ATP production more beneficially than "spikes" probably do. ATP is what rebuilds muscles and you want the most efficiency you can get here. I'm saying this because there is a delicate balance here between oxidative phosphorylation and lipogenesis (stimulated by acetyl COA carboxylase from HCO3-) in the mitochondrial in the presence of insulin. This "balance" I am talking about here is different for everyone though. Some people "shunt" over to lipgenesis so much sooner than other people. This has to do with other "global" processes happening in the body."

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulinlevels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

I can assure you I am very familiar with the shortfalls in the literature.

I have a video on it where I discuss limitations and practical take home messages. You are welcome to watch it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk0DxCekrBY
    PEScience Representative

Molecular Nutrition Rep SwolenONE's Avatar
    SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Quick, cheap carbs consumed postWO are a good choice for the sake of both convenience and improved muscle recovery.