niknik13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New Here! :) Questions about competing

Hi There! I have actually never posted in the forum, this is my first time! I am relatively new to bodybuilding. I began this past June. I have seen some amazing progress and I am in love with the lifestyle. In the back of my mind since the beginning has been competing, but I've often been reluctant because it seemed too far beyond my reach! Now that this has become part of my life and is routine for me, I'd like to consider competing in a bikini competition in 2015. I just don't exactly know where to begin. I have a lot of support from my boyfriend who is very much into bodybuilding, but he doesn't know anything about competing in bikini competitions, obviously. Do I need to get a trainer now, or closer to the time I compete? How do I find a personal trainer IN PERSON for competition prep, etc. Or would you recommend online prep? Any help would be awesome!!
    Thanks Guys!
    Nikki

ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi there! Congrats on your progress! I'm a newer competitor, I can provide feedback based on my experience, which obviously isn't the be all, end all!

Some of your decisions would be based on your goals!! How do you plan on competing? What do you see your progression to be? Do you want to dice right into a highly competitive NPC event, another federation, or a local show? Do you want to gain the experience or do you want to dive right in to win (I know everyone wants to win, lol....)

I started off wanting to compete in figure. I didn't necessarily care about winning, I'm not very competitive. I just wanted the experience. I found a local federation that focused on local, novice athletes and started there. Starting local took some of the pressure off. I didn't have a coach or a trainer. Remember there is a big difference between a coach and a trainer - if you get one, get the right one. A trainer can get you into great shape, but you would need a coach for competition specific knowledge. Both have value, but they are different! I went through my whole first season without a coach, trainer, or gym. Did everything on my own at home. This can be done, and it saves you a lot of money. You can find all sorts of posing videos online, you can find programs, you can find backstage tips, you can find packing lists!! So it can be done, but know that this can add to your stress significantly. Having to figure everything out on your own is hard, but rewarding. I won my novice local show and was told I should move on to bigger things. So I went to a regional show with the INBA and won that, then I went to their biggest international event and pulled silver there in amateur and pro, that was all in my first season, by myself... so if I can go it alone, anyone can!

If you decide to get a coach, sooner is better really. There is a difference between being in shape and being in contest shape of course. A coach can tell you exactly what is weak and what exactly needs to be improved for the stage. But coaching isn't cheap, so you have to balance how much you want to spend with how much you need coaching/improvement. An in person coach would be great, but a lot of online coaches are great too. This year I hired a coach, well actually 2. My first one was very high profile and well known, and the experience cost me a lot and sucked. He was a great competitor but a terrible coach. I was scared to break off the coaching relationship because I was worried it could affect my reputation down the road. But I wasn't getting personal attention or anything I needed! I hired a second coach (online) and it rocks! I get multipkle photo checkins a week, skype posing sessions, constant text, email and phone calls. In fact, it might have went too well, in my last show I placed fourth in the best shape of my life. I was told I'd outmuscled and conditioned figure and should consider physique.

Ultimately, the best way to find a coach is word of mouth. A lot of people cal lthemselves a coach - some are great, some are good trainers, some are good competitors... one doesn't necessarily equate to another. So my advice is to decide exactly what your goals are, where you want to compete and when. If you are going to hire a trainer or coach, give them enough time to be able to make substantial changes - I'm already working with coaches now for next year. A coach can get you stage ready in a few months if you already have the basic package ready, but bigger changes take more time. If you are diving right in to bigger competitions with well know federations, you need several months of posing practice, local shows/federations are a little more forgiving with posing mistakes or shakiness.

And my biggest advice - remember - THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN! I have to reel it back in sometimes, the stress can build up, it can seem overwhelming, but remind yourself you're doing this to have fun!
    2020 Olympia Bound | NPC WPD Nationally Qualified | 2018 Arnold Amateur WPD Top 3 | 2x WPD Pro World Champion (INBA/DFAC)

Meet Lifts: S: 305 | B: 205 | D: 370 * Gym Lifts: S: 380 | B: 275 | D: 415

WEB: proyeo.com | IG: ankhjii_pro_yeo

ISSA: CFT SNS | Westside Barbell Certified