Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Upgrading to Olympic equipment

I'm hoping to get some advice on how I should manage my money in regards to weightlifting equipment.

I was eager to begin lifting, so I went ahead and snagged what I thought to be the best deal on Craigslist. I paid $250 for a York bench, 8 25lb plates, 11 10's, 2 7.5's, 14 5's, and 8 3's, a 7 foot straight bar, a curl bar, 2 dumbbell handles, and a weight tree. I've been pretty happy with the equipment, I enjoy working out, and I'm seeing progress in both my physique and the amount I'm able to lift. Though lately, I've started to worry about what will happen to my bar when I'm able to lift much heavier loads.

The equipment is all standard. The bar only weighs 20 lbs. I've had 200 lbs on it with no problems, but now that I've learned more about weightlifting, I know that I shouldn't be using this equipment when I'm ready to double that weight. That would be well into the future, so I think the equipment is great for the time being.

However, it is frustrating to think that after spending all of that money, I would need to replace all of my standard plates and then some. I personally dislike the process of selling things, and I'm not sure how much I could get for all of those smaller plates. I'm definitely keeping the bench.

I'm wondering if it seems reasonable to just keep what I have, use it as long as I can, then get some Olympic equipment and use it in conjunction with the standard equipment. I imagine that I could save some time that way. It's just starting to sound expensive. I know I can get an Olympic bar and 300 lbs of weight for $200, but I still need to save up for a power rack and a leg curl bench.

I'd appreciate any advice on the matter.

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Put it back on Craig's List, try to break even, invest in Olympic weights/bar.
    www.instagram.com/mastodonstrength/

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try to find a quality rack on craigslist. That's going to provide the best bang for your buck. $200 for a 300 lb set isn't bad, especially if it's new (you didn't state, so I don't know).

Is there any reason you need a leg curl? There's much better equipment / exercises than using a leg curl, period. I wouldn't even budget for that. Get a GHR later on.

You'll find out quickly there's not a good reason to really keep all of that standard equipment & you'll see why craigslist is littered with standard weight sets no one can easily move.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cmarti063 View Post
    Put it back on Craig's List, try to break even, invest in Olympic weights/bar.
    Yup. Or if you don't mind getting hosed but want it gone, play it again sports or used equipment dealers.

Keep in mind you get what you pay for. Buy a 300lbs bar/weight set for $200, you will get just that, another cheap weight set. The bar will be most likely made in China, weight 2-4lbs over/under spec, use bolts to attach sleeves and be god knows what diameter. Never been to hung up on the plates as long as they're close to face value.

If you're investing in equipment and will truly use it, take the time needed to save up for good quality stuff.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by egbp View Post
    I'm hoping to get some advice on how I should manage my money in regards to weightlifting equipment.

I was eager to begin lifting, so I went ahead and snagged what I thought to be the best deal on Craigslist. I paid $250 for a York bench, 8 25lb plates, 11 10's, 2 7.5's, 14 5's, and 8 3's, a 7 foot straight bar, a curl bar, 2 dumbbell handles, and a weight tree. I've been pretty happy with the equipment, I enjoy working out, and I'm seeing progress in both my physique and the amount I'm able to lift. Though lately, I've started to worry about what will happen to my bar when I'm able to lift much heavier loads.

The equipment is all standard. The bar only weighs 20 lbs. I've had 200 lbs on it with no problems, but now that I've learned more about weightlifting, I know that I shouldn't be using this equipment when I'm ready to double that weight. That would be well into the future, so I think the equipment is great for the time being.

However, it is frustrating to think that after spending all of that money, I would need to replace all of my standard plates and then some. I personally dislike the process of selling things, and I'm not sure how much I could get for all of those smaller plates. I'm definitely keeping the bench.

I'm wondering if it seems reasonable to just keep what I have, use it as long as I can, then get some Olympic equipment and use it in conjunction with the standard equipment. I imagine that I could save some time that way. It's just starting to sound expensive. I know I can get an Olympic bar and 300 lbs of weight for $200, but I still need to save up for a power rack and a leg curl bench.

I'd appreciate any advice on the matter.

Your post is a prime example of why noobs here are always advised to buy a power rack, bench, and Oly set from the get-go.

Cut your losses; get rid of what you've bought in error now for whatever you can get out of it, and replace it with more-appropriate equipment that you won't outgrow.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10) egbp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Synthetickiller View Post
    Try to find a quality rack on craigslist. That's going to provide the best bang for your buck. $200 for a 300 lb set isn't bad, especially if it's new (you didn't state, so I don't know).

Is there any reason you need a leg curl? There's much better equipment / exercises than using a leg curl, period. I wouldn't even budget for that. Get a GHR later on.

You'll find out quickly there's not a good reason to really keep all of that standard equipment & you'll see why craigslist is littered with standard weight sets no one can easily move.
    I've seen a couple $200 Olympic sets online that are new, but as FNG37 says, the quality is in question.

As for leg curls, they've just been a part of my routine on leg day. I'm used to doing them, but I'll check out the GHR.

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Your post is a prime example of why noobs here are always advised to buy a power rack, bench, and Oly set from the get-go.

Cut your losses; get rid of what you've bought in error now for whatever you can get out of it, and replace it with more-appropriate equipment that you won't outgrow.
    It's a shame I didn't get here sooner. I'll live though. I'm happier today than I've ever been, and I'll take the error in stride.

aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    GHRs, Lunges, Romanian Deadlifts, Stiff-legged Deadlifts, Good Mornings, Squats. Plenty you can do that will work your hammies better than a cheap standard leg curl bench. Alternatively if you are patient you may be able to find a commercial curl or a curl/lift combo on craigslist for a few hundred. I wouldn't make that a priority in a home gym though.

Originally Posted by aclockworkoi View Post
    GHRs, Lunges, Romanian Deadlifts, Stiff-legged Deadlifts, Good Mornings, Squats. Plenty you can do that will work your hammies better than a cheap standard leg curl bench. Alternatively if you are patient you may be able to find a commercial curl or a curl/lift combo on craigslist for a few hundred. I wouldn't make that a priority in a home gym though.
    Yeah, my routine has squats, lunges, Romanian deadlifts, and the leg curls. I definitely haven't been in a hurry to get a leg curl bench. I've been regarding the power rack as my top priority, and now I have to figure out how I'm going to convert to Olympic equipment, so I have plenty of time to figure out what I want to do.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeah, my routine has squats, lunges, Romanian deadlifts, and the leg curls. I definitely haven't been in a hurry to get a leg curl bench. I've been regarding the power rack as my top priority, and now I have to figure out how I'm going to convert to Olympic equipment, so I have plenty of time to figure out what I want to do.
    Just keep using what you have and piecemeal it in. $0.50/lb is a decent price to pay for Oly plates, premium brands like York and Ivanko are gonna go for more. If you're not a plate whore, at least in the beginning - just start grabbing the good deals on CL for oly plates as they come up. You could get them all at once, or do it sporadically as money allows.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    It's a shame I didn't get here sooner. I'll live though. I'm happier today than I've ever been, and I'll take the error in stride.
    We all live and, hopefully, learn. Many of us here (including myself) took some mis-steps when first buying equipment. I made two; my first was buying a cheap K Mart bench and vinyl "weights," and then a bit later, buying an Impex bench and a standard bar and plates.

Back then, in the dark ages before the webz, I had nothing to go on for advices except what was displayed in the stores; power racks weren't yet considered to be 'home-level' equipment.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Great response and glad you're digging the site. A lot of info here and a lot of good resources to take advantage of. Good luck on the equipment search and feel free to reach out when you need some guidance!

I tried getting into weightlifting back when I was 18. I didn't stick with it. In the beginning, I had nothing but my Christmas present curl bar and like 35 lbs of weight. I eventually joined a gym but I stopped going after a while. Now, I'm working out in my backyard and I love it.

Thanks for the help everybody. I'll probably pop in with some questions before I make any major purchases.

DuFFY0121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DuFFY0121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DuFFY0121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DuFFY0121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DuFFY0121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DuFFY0121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DuFFY0121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DuFFY0121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DuFFY0121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DuFFY0121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DuFFY0121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you have a duhnams near you they're selling a 300 pound oly set for $179

Originally Posted by DuFFY0121 View Post
    If you have a duhnams near you they're selling a 300 pound oly set for $179
    I don't have one near me. Plus, I'm thinking now that I'll take FNG37's advice and turn this into a long term project. I have enough weight to last me for a while, so I'll try to get my money's worth out of it. Then, I'll buy some quality stuff when I can, and see what I can get for the standard plates after I clean all of the rust off of them.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    The Ivanko B-86 http://www.ivankobarbell.com/products/b86/ exists to complicate this decision. It's about $200-300. Cheapest good olympic bar is $150, CAP OB86.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

xTwiinKy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xTwiinKy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xTwiinKy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xTwiinKy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xTwiinKy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xTwiinKy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xTwiinKy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xTwiinKy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xTwiinKy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xTwiinKy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xTwiinKy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The only thing weird is the weight increments and the bench. But a standard set in itself is not at all useless or worthless.

I started out with one and later got an OLY set (480lb Ivanko's) but my standard plates are just as useful. They are my adjustable dumbells up to 90lb each hand. My standard bar has my FatGripz (pair is also on my DB) and I use it for curling.

So yea my main point is: 180lb standard weight and two DB collars and viola .... adjustable dumbells up to 90lb !!

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    The Ivanko B-86 http://www.ivankobarbell.com/products/b86/ exists to complicate this decision. It's about $200-300. Cheapest good olympic bar is $150, CAP OB86.
    Detrus is referring to a standard bar which is well-made and can handle a lot of weight. It isn't a bad option, but if you think you might add a few machines down the road (Leg Press, Seated Calf, whatever), keep in mind that a lot of them will only take olympic plates.

You could also hang onto some of your standard plates ad DB handles--maybe keep 4 x 2.5 lbs, 4 x 5lbs, and a bunch of 10lbs. They would be useful, olympic DB handles tend to be big and clunky to use, and good adjustable DB sets like Ironmaster or Powerblocks can be pricey. The one downside to this is that if money is really an issue, you wouldn't be able to get anything for plates that you are keeping.

OP, I repped you for having a good attitude and being open to advice.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

That Ivanko bar is tempting, but I'm going to wait and get Olympic stuff later. I'm going to need more plates anyway once I'm strong enough since I won't be able to load all of the smaller plates on the bar. I'd feel weird now buying even more standard stuff.

Originally Posted by xTwiinKy View Post
    The only thing weird is the weight increments and the bench. But a standard set in itself is not at all useless or worthless.

I started out with one and later got an OLY set (480lb Ivanko's) but my standard plates are just as useful. They are my adjustable dumbells up to 90lb each hand. My standard bar has my FatGripz (pair is also on my DB) and I use it for curling.

So yea my main point is: 180lb standard weight and two DB collars and viola .... adjustable dumbells up to 90lb !!
    I think the bench is fine. I'd like to post a picture of it, but I see that there's a minimum post limit that I haven't attained. Anyway, it looks similar to some of the York Olympic bench presses that I'm looking at on Google.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think the bench is fine. I'd like to post a picture of it, but I see that there's a minimum post limit that I haven't attained. Anyway, it looks similar to some of the York Olympic bench presses that I'm looking at on Google.
    Does it have safeties? That is the biggest concern.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    Detrus is referring to a standard bar which is well-made and can handle a lot of weight. It isn't a bad option, but if you think you might add a few machines down the road (Leg Press, Seated Calf, whatever), keep in mind that a lot of them will only take olympic plates.

You could also hang onto some of your standard plates ad DB handles--maybe keep 4 x 2.5 lbs, 4 x 5lbs, and a bunch of 10lbs. They would be useful, olympic DB handles tend to be big and clunky to use, and good adjustable DB sets like Ironmaster or Powerblocks can be pricey. The one downside to this is that if money is really an issue, you wouldn't be able to get anything for plates that you are keeping.

OP, I repped you for having a good attitude and being open to advice.
    Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

I don't really want to say that money is an issue. It's just going to take me some time, but I suppose I have plenty of time. If I get to a point where I've just about outgrown my equipment and I've saved enough to make a quality upgrade, any money that I get for whatever plates I don't want is just gravy. The standard set I bought wouldn't be the worst purchase I've ever made.

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    Does it have safeties? That is the biggest concern.
    Maybe this will work... if you type imgur . com /1Y8nXBu that is the bench.

yes, that's a great bench for a commercial gym. But unless you always workout with a partner who can spot, it's trouble at home.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, check the first few posts in this thread. It will explain a lot about what Cleveland is getting at, and why we are all quick to recommend a power rack rather than a bench press like you linked.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...6624063&page=1

It's worth pointing out that even with another guy spotting you, he isn't likely to catch a dropped bar while you are doing a bench press. Where is that bar going to go? How will that affect you? That's the real importance of the safeties in a rack.

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    yes, that's a great bench for a commercial gym. But unless you always workout with a partner who can spot, it's trouble at home.
    Yeah, I've been doing a little leg swing move to get into a seated position when I'm failing. I haven't had any issues yet, but it's certainly not the greatest solo setup.

I know I'm over-thinking things as I don't have the money and can't lift much anyway, but I'm concerning myself with picking out the right weight set to save for. I really like the Rogue Hi-Temps, but there's the issue of eventually outgrowing the amount of plates that I could fit on a bar. Out of all of the reviews that I've read, several different max capacity estimates came up. I don't think I would ever need to load more than 450.

I also read about augmenting with steel plates, so that gives me some more options. I guess that means that I could order a smaller set of the Hi-Temps to get started rather than say their 500 lb set. I just don't know how much I could actually fit on a bar. Maybe the 350 lb set with some steel thrown in. What do you guys think?

markewallace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markewallace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markewallace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markewallace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markewallace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markewallace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markewallace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markewallace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markewallace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markewallace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markewallace has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I know I'm over-thinking things as I don't have the money and can't lift much anyway, but I'm concerning myself with picking out the right weight set to save for. I really like the Rogue Hi-Temps, but there's the issue of eventually outgrowing the amount of plates that I could fit on a bar. Out of all of the reviews that I've read, several different max capacity estimates came up. I don't think I would ever need to load more than 450.

I also read about augmenting with steel plates, so that gives me some more options. I guess that means that I could order a smaller set of the Hi-Temps to get started rather than say their 500 lb set. I just don't know how much I could actually fit on a bar. Maybe the 350 lb set with some steel thrown in. What do you guys think?
    I haven't looked up in the thread to find your program, but do you even need bumpers? You may be able to manage just fine with iron plates.

I have bumpers and iron, and I only ever use my bumpers for Olympic lifting (clean & jerk, snatch).

- Mark

Originally Posted by markewallace View Post
    I haven't looked up in the thread to find your program, but do you even need bumpers? You may be able to manage just fine with iron plates.

I have bumpers and iron, and I only ever use my bumpers for Olympic lifting (clean & jerk, snatch).

- Mark
    I'm not expecting to drop them from overhead, but they will be kept outdoors. I want rubber plates, and I like that the Hi-Temps are American made and as durable as it gets. I've also looked at the Body Solid grip plates that are much cheaper. What are your thoughts on something like that?

I'm not expecting to drop them from overhead, but they will be kept outdoors. I want rubber plates, and I like that the Hi-Temps are American made and as durable as it gets. I've also looked at the Body Solid grip plates that are much cheaper. What are your thoughts on something like that?
    Keep in mind that the Body Solid plates are rubber-coated iron, not just rubber like bumper plates.

Bumpers sound great for outdoor use, but I would imagine that the metal inserts would expand/contract with the weather and pop out sooner rather than later. Bumpers are really expensive, so it would be a shame to throw that money away.

If I were going to keep a set outdoors, I might just buy the cheapest set I could find on Craigslist or wherever, and use it until I have to clean off the rust and repaint it. I suppose you could clear-coat a set before you put it outside, that might stave off the rusting process for a while longer. I would definitely keep the bar inside when it is not in use.