GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Critique my workout

Hello Folks,

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my workout routine. I basically do a pyramid approach for everything. For instance, I'll start with a weight for a particular movement, try to get 10, move up in weight, try to get 8 reps, move up in weight, try to get 6, etc. Once I can complete the reps as listed, I'll move up in weight next time I start and do it all over again until I can get the reps.

I'll take any advice and appreciate the comments. Cheers!

Workout 1: Chest & Tris

Up 5lb per side / Rest = 2 mins
    BB Flat Bench 1 x 10
    BB Flat Bench 1 x 8
    BB Flat Bench 1 x 6
    BB Flat Bench 1 x 4

Up 5lb per side / Rest = 2 mins
    BB Incline Bench 1 x 10
    BB Incline Bench 1 x 8
    BB Incline Bench 1 x 6
    BB Incline Bench 1 x 4

Up 5lb per side / Rest = 1.5 mins
    DB Flys 1 x 10
    DB Flys 1 x 8
    DB Flys 1 x 6

Up 5lb / Rest = 1.5 mins
    Overhead Extensions 1 x 10
    Overhead Extensions 1 x 8
    Overhead Extensions 1 x 6
    Overhead Extensions 1 x 4

Up 5lb / Rest = 1.5 mins
    Cable Push Downs 1 x 10
    Cable Push Downs 1 x 8
    Cable Push Downs 1 x 6
    Cable Push Downs 1 x 4

Workout 2: Shoulders & Legs

Up 5 per side / R = 2
    BB Military Press Behind Neck 1 x 10
    BB Military Press Behind Neck 1 x 8
    BB Military Press Behind Neck 1 x 6

Up 5 / R = 2
    DB Arnolds Press 1 x 10
    DB Arnolds Press 1 x 8
    DB Arnolds Press 1 x 6
    DB Arnolds Press 1 x 4

Up 2.5lb per side / Rest = 1.5 mins
    Upright Rows EZBar 1 x 10
    Upright Rows EZBar 1 x 8
    Upright Rows EZBar 1 x 6

Front Raise EZBar 1 x 10
    Front Raise EZBar 1 x 8
    Front Raise EZBar 1 x 6

LEGS (various using own body weight due to back injury)

Workout 3: Bis and Back

Up 2.5lb per side / Rest = 2 mins
    EZBB Curls 1 x 10
    EZBB Curls 1 x 8
    EZBB Curls 1 x 6

Incline DB Curls 1 x 10
    Incline DB Curls 1 x 8
    Incline DB Curls 1 x 6

EZBB Rev Curls 1 x 10
    EZBB Rev Curls 1 x 8
    EZBB Rev Curls 1 x 6

Front Machine Pull Up 1 x 10
    Front Machine Pull Up 1 x 8
    Front Machine Pull Up 1 x 6

Up 5lb / Rest = 1.5 mins
    Cable Rows 1 x 10
    Cable Rows 1 x 8
    Cable Rows 1 x 6

ocmatt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ocmatt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ocmatt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ocmatt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ocmatt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ocmatt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ocmatt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ocmatt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ocmatt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ocmatt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ocmatt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    i would try to add in some isolation movements on leg day and some pull ups on back day only one exercise of back is not enough

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think you can take off some rest time....bring it down to 30sec to 1min. You will get a better pump and shorter time in the gym. Half your gym time is resting.
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're going to get varying answers as we all have what we feel works for us. I was going to say do you really need 8 sets for triceps after doing 8 sets for chest? For me that's too much, but for others it may not be. But if you're asking what we think of the routine, for me it's too much volume.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Overload View Post
    You're going to get varying answers as we all have what we feel works for us. I was going to say do you really need 8 sets for triceps after doing 8 sets for chest? For me that's too much, but for others it may not be. But if you're asking what we think of the routine, for me it's too much volume.
    I've been wondering that (about the volume) - main reason why I posted it here.

Originally Posted by Squid24 View Post
    I think you can take off some rest time....bring it down to 30sec to 1min. You will get a better pump and shorter time in the gym. Half your gym time is resting.
    I've tried that in the past but it didn't stick. Felt like I was so weak after a few sets. Wondering if it is just endurance?

yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Three bicep exercises (first, no less) and one true back exercise? I would do wide-grip pull-ups and bent over rows instead of two of the curls and do one curling exercise at the end of the workout.

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I also have to agree with Overload...that is a lot of volume. The reason you think you feel weak is cause you are exhausting the muscle which is kinda the whole idea, I thought. You can also try this technique out. Just do 2 exercises per muscle group that you want to work on. Find a weight you can just barely get 12 reps from, but only do 10 reps for 4 sets, with a 30sec rest period. Do a 6 sec negative(eccentric) and a 1 sec positive(concentric). If you can get 4 sets of 10, then add weight for the next time. I enjoy doing this way about every 6-8 weeks.
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GasHed View Post
    I've been wondering that (about the volume) - main reason why I posted it here.
    Take a look at this and see if it's something that interests you. I've always done well with it and I usually do less volume than this program recommends. Mainly cutting out most isolation exercises in my case.

http://www.myweightlifting.com/max-ot/
    Last edited by Overload; 12-09-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I generally train large muscle groups before smaller muscle groups.
    Why would you train biceps before back? The biceps assist in back exercises.

There are no exercises for the rear delts.

For the legs have you considered angle leg press or at least leg extensions.

No exercises for the hamstrings.

There is no need to pyramid every exercise such as the isolation exercises.
    Straight sets of 8 to 10 reps for the isolation exercises is suggested.

The rest intervals for compound exercises are OK if you are going heavy.

If your form is improper for the BB Military Press Behind Neck you will
    risk injury. I suggest BB military press to the front or dumbbell press.

What is the problem with the back? You included cable rows?
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepitsme is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    ...If your form is improper for the BB Military Press Behind Neck you will
    risk injury...
    I just recently started doing these. Can you give some advice about form?

I generally train large muscle groups before smaller muscle groups.
    Why would you train biceps before back? The biceps assist in back exercises.

There are no exercises for the rear delts.

For the legs have you considered angle leg press or at least leg extensions.

No exercises for the hamstrings.

There is no need to pyramid every exercise such as the isolation exercises.
    Straight sets of 8 to 10 reps for the isolation exercises is suggested.

The rest intervals for compound exercises are OK if you are going heavy.

If your form is improper for the BB Military Press Behind Neck you will
    risk injury. I suggest BB military press to the front or dumbbell press.

What is the problem with the back? You included cable rows?
    Got a missing disk between L4/L5.

[QUOTE=Overload;1320185611]Take a look at this and see if it's something that interests you. I've always done well with it and I usually do less volume that this program recommends. Mainly cutting out most isolation exercises for me.

This is an interesting read - thank you. Thoughts on 30-40 minute ideal time in the gym? I'm at about 40 - 50 minutes right now.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by yepitsme View Post
    I just recently started doing these. Can you give some advice about form?
    I don't go heavy with behind the neck press and I only lower the barbell to to mid ears.
    I prefer going heavy with seated dumbbell press with reps in the 6 to 8 reps range.
    I train for bodybuilding.

The short rest intervals recommended are too short. You muscle cells on the heavy compound exercise need time to recover ATP levels for energy.
    Six seconds eccentric contractions are not suggested and makes no physiological sense.

I don't go heavy with behind the neck press and I only lower the barbell to to mid ears.
    I prefer going heavy with seated dumbbell press with reps in the 6 to 8 reps range.
    I train for bodybuilding.
    I guess heavy is relative. When I started doing these I began with an empty bar and added 5lbs per week doing 3 sets of 12 reps. I just stopped at 12 even if it was easy. Yesterday, I did 85lbs (bar included) and the last few reps were starting to get tough. I usually go down to about the tops of my ears I guess. I normally watch the bend in my elbows.

It is very interesting and confusing to see the different opinions out there - I have been checking out this web site's training programs by the various trainers. Sets vary from 6 to 14 depending on the program. Reps vary from 6 to 40 in some cases. I guess it's safe to assume that there are many opinions.

I have 2 herniated discs in my back, 1 in my neck and left shoulder issues so I know a bit about not being able to do everything you want. Do what you can and try to cover the main muscle groups as best you can. I've found I can do vertical leg press pain free but squats and deadlifts are out. Not worth the pain for days after. I just try to do the best I can and stay in shape. Keep it simple and don't overthink it too much with trying to figure out the perfect program. It's elusive

Registered User MyWeightLifting's Avatar
    MyWeightLifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) MyWeightLifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) MyWeightLifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) MyWeightLifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) MyWeightLifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) MyWeightLifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) MyWeightLifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) MyWeightLifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) MyWeightLifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) MyWeightLifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) MyWeightLifting will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Overload View Post
    Take a look at this and see if it's something that interests you. I've always done well with it and I usually do less volume that this program recommends. Mainly cutting out most isolation exercises for me.

http://www.myweightlifting.com/max-ot/
    Good article. :-D
    Check out my new barbell chart if you're a home gym nerd: http://www.kingofthegym.com/barbell-comparison/