bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cutting Fat Macrozzz N STUFF

If I start cutting at 190 lbs and want to end at let's say 170 lbs, I'm a little confused about going about this.

In the beginning I will follow 1g/lb protein (190g) and .45g/lb fat (85g) and the rest carbs.

But as I take away from my calories, I'll take away from carbs.

1. My protein stays the same all the way until I'm 170 lbs, right?
    2. If I follow .45g/lb fat, do I lower that as I start to lose weight? OR 3. Do I cut carbs and when I get to a certain point I take away cals from fats? If so, how do I know at what point to start cutting from fat?
    4. If I transition from a surplus to my deficit, do I need to do it slowly? For example, should I do like -200 cals each week for about 1 month until I hit my deficit calories target??
    bulking~

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    get 1g per lb.....of lean body mass. For fat, get 0.4g per lb....of lean body mass. Its not body weight, its fat free mass. Just go full deficit.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50) bpshock will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    get 1g per lb.....of lean body mass. For fat, get 0.4g per lb....of lean body mass. Its not body weight, its fat free mass. Just go full deficit.
    This doesn't really answer any of my questions I'm asking
    bulking~

servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bpshock View Post
    This doesn't really answer any of my questions I'm asking
    It actually does...follow what he said. Those numbers by lean body mass...meaning possible 1x150....Since you are not counting the fat on your body.

he said go full deficit, meaning dont slowly drop...just completely subtract your calories to what your cutting calories are

Originally Posted by servonlewis View Post
    It actually does...follow what he said. Those numbers by lean body mass...meaning possible 1x150....Since you are not counting the fat on your body.

he said go full deficit, meaning dont slowly drop...just completely subtract your calories to what your cutting calories are
    Now I'm confused.... I've read on other posts in the nutrition section where people say just follow x g/lb for protein and fat, not lean body mass.

I've also read to not go full deficit but to give it a few weeks to slowly drop due to water weight etc... Not sure what to take on all of this.
    bulking~

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Now I'm confused.... I've read on other posts in the nutrition section where people say just follow x g/lb for protein and fat, not lean body mass.
    Using lean body mass as a measure is better than total body weight. Fat mass takes calories to maintain, but it is mostly neutral in terms of macro requirements.

I've also read to not go full deficit but to give it a few weeks to slowly drop due to water weight etc...
    That's nonsense.

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    Using lean body mass as a measure is better than total body weight. Fat mass takes calories to maintain, but it is mostly neutral in terms of macro requirements.

That's nonsense.
    So using lean body mass is what should be done in determing protein/fat requirements for BOTH bulking and cutting? Or just cutting?

Another question..
    So when I start week 1 from bulking to cutting I can just drop like 1k calories over night and BOOM- start?
    But when going from cutting to bulking that is when I need to slowly up the calories and cannot just increase 1k cals over night and boom- start?
    Last edited by bpshock; 12-04-2014 at 06:27 AM.
    bulking~

treefiddy1031 is on a distinguished road. (+10) treefiddy1031 is on a distinguished road. (+10) treefiddy1031 is on a distinguished road. (+10) treefiddy1031 is on a distinguished road. (+10) treefiddy1031 is on a distinguished road. (+10) treefiddy1031 is on a distinguished road. (+10) treefiddy1031 is on a distinguished road. (+10) treefiddy1031 is on a distinguished road. (+10) treefiddy1031 is on a distinguished road. (+10) treefiddy1031 is on a distinguished road. (+10) treefiddy1031 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So using lean body mass is what should be done in determing protein/fat requirements for BOTH bulking and cutting? Or just cutting?

Another question..
    So when I start week 1 from bulking to cutting I can just drop like 1k calories over night and BOOM- start?
    But when going from cutting to bulking that is when I need to slowly up the calories and cannot just increase 1k cals over night and boom- start?
    Yes you can just drop 1k calories over night. May be harder to adjust to eating that much less all at once, but there is no reason not to do it that way. When going from cutting to bulking you need to slowly up calories - like 100 or 200 max a week. If you go balls to the wall and just add 1000 calories at the start, you will put on a ton of fat.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Both.

Yes, and even then only generally if it was a prolonged cut at a big deficit.

mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I try to make it much simpler. If you are just cutting to lean down and not for the stage at a certain date, I would just go with 1.2g protein per lb of body weight. This assumes you aren't obese. I like the 0.4g / lb of body weight for fats. I make the rest up with carbs. The IIFYM.com site has a great calculator for all of this stuff.

I re-enter my numbers monthly into the calculator and adjust based on that. Depends on how you do it, but 190->170 could be as little as two months, or make take up to 5 months.. Just make sure you are keeping steady progress.

If you have access to a body fat analysis method, I would keep track of BF%. That way, if you are losing too much lean mass during your cut, you can slow it down a bit so that you preserve lean mass.

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    Both.

Yes, and even then only generally if it was a prolonged cut at a big deficit.
    Okay so just for clarification: If I do a 20-week cut, and I start at 190 pounds (~15% BF), using what you said that would put me starting at:

161g protein (1g/LBM)
    72g fat (.45g/LBM)
    ~400g carbs (rest filled with carbs)

So all I do is pull and pull from carb calories each week? So when I end my cut I should be 161g protein, 72g fat, and like <200g protein probably????
    bulking~

Originally Posted by mfpd00 View Post
    I try to make it much simpler. If you are just cutting to lean down and not for the stage at a certain date, I would just go with 1.2g protein per lb of body weight. This assumes you aren't obese. I like the 0.4g / lb of body weight for fats. I make the rest up with carbs. The IIFYM.com site has a great calculator for all of this stuff.

I re-enter my numbers monthly into the calculator and adjust based on that. Depends on how you do it, but 190->170 could be as little as two months, or make take up to 5 months.. Just make sure you are keeping steady progress.

If you have access to a body fat analysis method, I would keep track of BF%. That way, if you are losing too much lean mass during your cut, you can slow it down a bit so that you preserve lean mass.
    1.2g/lb total body weight? See now I am just getting confused lol.. that is huge difference from 1g/LBM (161g vs 228g)
    bulking~

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    post a pic, you are fine with 0.8g protein per lb of lbm, and 0.4g of fat per lb of lbm. Macros arent that big of a deal, just dont eat nothing but candy. 130g protein is absolutely more than enough. 65g fat is enough, actually less than that is fine.
    More protein = weighing less because your wallet will be significantly lighter. Protein isnt as big of a deal as folks want you to believe, when you eat big to get big as a natural lifter, you become a fatass.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mfpd00 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1.2g/lb total body weight? See now I am just getting confused lol.. that is huge difference from 1g/LBM (161g vs 228g)
    This is just what works for me. You can do whatever you want. A lot of this is trial and error. Just pick something to start with. Give it a month. If you are progressing toward your goals, keep doing it. If you are not, then try to change something. Too many go through paralysis from analysis. Just get going and make changes on the way to get to your goals.

AsmodeusDM will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsmodeusDM will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsmodeusDM will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsmodeusDM will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsmodeusDM will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsmodeusDM will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsmodeusDM will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsmodeusDM will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsmodeusDM will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsmodeusDM will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsmodeusDM will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here's an easy way to not be confused:

Listen to the guy with 8000+ posts (dmac)

Don't listen to the guy with 27 posts

Okay so just for clarification: If I do a 20-week cut, and I start at 190 pounds (~15% BF), using what you said that would put me starting at:

161g protein (1g/LBM)
    72g fat (.45g/LBM)
    ~400g carbs (rest filled with carbs)

So all I do is pull and pull from carb calories each week? So when I end my cut I should be 161g protein, 72g fat, and like <200g protein probably????
    Okay soooo then this is right?? ^
    bulking~

Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I start cutting at 190 lbs and want to end at let's say 170 lbs, I'm a little confused about going about this.

In the beginning I will follow 1g/lb protein (190g) and .45g/lb fat (85g) and the rest carbs.

But as I take away from my calories, I'll take away from carbs.

1. My protein stays the same all the way until I'm 170 lbs, right?
    2. If I follow .45g/lb fat, do I lower that as I start to lose weight? OR 3. Do I cut carbs and when I get to a certain point I take away cals from fats? If so, how do I know at what point to start cutting from fat?
    4. If I transition from a surplus to my deficit, do I need to do it slowly? For example, should I do like -200 cals each week for about 1 month until I hit my deficit calories target??
    Macros are irrelevant unless you are competing.

1. Be in caloric defict.
    2. Eat foods with most satiety and micro nutrients as much as you can within that caloric deficit.

That is all.
    Rugby, Judo, Basketball, MMA Fighter Crew (4-0).
    80+ lbs lost crew
    UofT Biz Crew

Okay soooo then this is right?? ^
    to some degree, you dont NEED 1g per lb of lbm, its already excessive, the numbers i gave were good. The 130g protein.

Eh.... to the guy above you ^ macros are not irrelevant even if you don't compete. that is bs.

And how is 130g protein a good minimum for someone 190 pounds? .82g/lb of protein comes out to ~156g protein which is the studied minimum.

I think I am going to go off of total pounds.... that is what is in Emma-Leigh's sticky, and that is what everyone in the Nutrition section seems to be doing.
    bulking~

Once again you proved you aren't reading and want to learn the hard way. It's based off lean body mass, so by your logic you think a 300 lb fatty needs twice as much protein as you?

Once again you proved you aren't reading and want to learn the hard way. It's based off lean body mass, so by your logic you think a 300 lb fatty needs twice as much protein as you?
    Well just look at my macros above and the huge difference between doing it with LBM and total body weight... such a huge difference. Since there ARE minimums for protein/fat how do you know which one is correct?

Also, http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-...-bodybuilders/ explains to do total weight

idk im just trying to make sense of it all
    bulking~

Well just look at my macros above and the huge difference between doing it with LBM and total body weight... such a huge difference. Since there ARE minimums for protein/fat how do you know which one is correct?

Also, http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-...-bodybuilders/ explains to do total weight

idk im just trying to make sense of it all
    Yes, and recommendations are for total fat free mass, fat doesnt really require much to sustain itself. Everything else, bone, connective tissue, muscle, organs, all do.
    Total weight works when people have no idea what their lbm is because they are so overfat. Most of your nutrition is required for vital functions and not for muscle. That link is fine, but ask yourself, why would you all of a sudden need 30g less protein because you dropped that fat, did you really think that fat NEEDED that 30g protein? Ill answer that before you lose the weight, no you didnt.

Protein recommendations are arbitrarily high because of misinformation, marketing, and money is involved. TRY it, try it on a GOOD proven lifting program (not a brosplit or a made up hypertrophy routine) and you will see what happens. Why would we tell you to eat less than you actually needed? Nobody is here to sabotage your progress other than possibly prevent you from sabotaging your money down the drain.

Building muscle isnt that big of a deal, its easy, increase tonnage over time and it will happen, "nutrition" isnt as big of a deal as people think, just dont make bad decisions and get 30g a day because you eat cheetos and poptarts.
    making progress has more to do with correct programming and putting effort in, than extreme amounts of protein.There are much stronger guys than all of us in this thread will ever be that eat less than that recommended amount by a large margin.
    Also dont "bulk", if you have to cut 20 lbs you just got fat and didnt bulk, cutting should take a couple months max. Regardless of what anyone's goal is, getting fat is not part of it. Again, post a pic of what you look like.

Yes, and recommendations are for total fat free mass, fat doesnt really require much to sustain itself. Everything else, bone, connective tissue, muscle, organs, all do.
    Total weight works when people have no idea what their lbm is because they are so overfat. Most of your nutrition is required for vital functions and not for muscle. That link is fine, but ask yourself, why would you all of a sudden need 30g less protein because you dropped that fat, did you really think that fat NEEDED that 30g protein? Ill answer that before you lose the weight, no you didnt.

Protein recommendations are arbitrarily high because of misinformation, marketing, and money is involved. TRY it, try it on a GOOD proven lifting program (not a brosplit or a made up hypertrophy routine) and you will see what happens. Why would we tell you to eat less than you actually needed? Nobody is here to sabotage your progress other than possibly prevent you from sabotaging your money down the drain.

Building muscle isnt that big of a deal, its easy, increase tonnage over time and it will happen, "nutrition" isnt as big of a deal as people think, just dont make bad decisions and get 30g a day because you eat cheetos and poptarts.
    making progress has more to do with correct programming and putting effort in, than extreme amounts of protein.There are much stronger guys than all of us in this thread will ever be that eat less than that recommended amount by a large margin.
    Also dont "bulk", if you have to cut 20 lbs you just got fat and didnt bulk, cutting should take a couple months max. Regardless of what anyone's goal is, getting fat is not part of it. Again, post a pic of what you look like.
    Don't recommendations change based on your level of experience and how lean you currently are? I mean I'm currently about 13% at the end of my bulk, so if I'm getting sub-10 don't I want to have a bit higher protein?

Also, I bulked +20 pounds and plan to take 16 weeks to cut down.
    bulking~

kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't recommendations change based on your level of experience and how lean you currently are? I mean I'm currently about 13% at the end of my bulk, so if I'm getting sub-10 don't I want to have a bit higher protein?

if you're 13% now, what were you when you were 170? Macros are important, but honestly if you just eat balanced meals you don't need to really worry. if i had to guess how much protein i take in these days i'd say it's about 160-180g.

Not really, it will never vary to much degree (yes they do matter but they dont for natural lifters who are recreational lifters, who are also at their capacity of training).
    Just like you wont have to change your calories from a novice to your genetic potential because muscle only needs like 7 calories or something small so even if you added say 10 lbs of muscle over 2 years, thats like 70 calories or maybe another 8g protein tops. Protein isnt that big of a deal, you really dont need that much. Poor progress is the result of people thinking you can get huge naturally with average or below average genes, poor programming, poor diet (people not counting and accidentally being in a deficit), poor effort in the gym, being afraid to pick up heavy weights, injuries, so on and so forth.
    Experienced lifters (who are legit strong) need less, you get to a point of diminishing returns, the effects of nutrient partitioning lower, any adaptations are lower as it needs stronger stimulus that you cant eventually recover from.

servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50) servonlewis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not really, it will never vary to much degree (yes they do matter but they dont for natural lifters who are recreational lifters, who are also at their capacity of training).
    Just like you wont have to change your calories from a novice to your genetic potential because muscle only needs like 7 calories or something small so even if you added say 10 lbs of muscle over 2 years, thats like 70 calories or maybe another 8g protein tops. Protein isnt that big of a deal, you really dont need that much. Poor progress is the result of people thinking you can get huge naturally with average or below average genes, poor programming, poor diet (people not counting and accidentally being in a deficit), poor effort in the gym, being afraid to pick up heavy weights, injuries, so on and so forth.
    Experienced lifters (who are legit strong) need less, you get to a point of diminishing returns, the effects of nutrient partitioning lower, any adaptations are lower as it needs stronger stimulus that you cant eventually recover from.
    Question... What if you arent natural?? That guy that said 1.2g of protein is obviously not natural...does the laws change, or does it not matter what they eat anymore?