Eiliyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What should I do - bulk & cut, or cut, or keep doing the same routine I am now?

Hi

I am new to the forum so please bear with me

I am a 28 years old female, have been training for the past few years and looking after my nutrition with some results. However, they are not exactly what I want and I would be really grateful for some advice on how to achieve my goals. I weigh 63kg (have been maintaining the same body weight for the past 2 years plus/minus 1-2kg). I train around 4 times a week (legs & glutes twice weekly, abs 3-4 times weekly, shoulders, chest, back once weekly). I also incorporate 1 spinning session and 1 TRX session. I don't like running so I am also considering taking up some boxing instead. My diet usually consists of the following:

2 eggs with a piece of protein based bread OR oatmeal with chia seeds and almond milk for breakfast
    50% protein bar for a snack
    chicken/salmon and veg, and sometimes sweet potato for lunch
    cottage cheese or natural yogurt with avocado for a pre gym snack (1.5 hours before)
    protein shake or light dinner (eggs or fish with veg) for dinner
    a few coffees a day
    lots of water and natural teas

I do a desk job which is usually around 9 hours daily and I actually don't get a chance to move much during weekdays, with the exception of a bit of walking and gym sessions.

I attach a couple of images of my ideal body with an image of how I look now. I would be very grateful for some advice on how to get to the stage I am after. Do I need to bulk and cut, or just cut? Should I introduce some other forms of exercise into my routine? I already lift weights, squat, do dead lifts etc.

Thank you very much in advance x
    Attached Images

calfmuscle555 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) calfmuscle555 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) calfmuscle555 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) calfmuscle555 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) calfmuscle555 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) calfmuscle555 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) calfmuscle555 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) calfmuscle555 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) calfmuscle555 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) calfmuscle555 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) calfmuscle555 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Eiliyah View Post
    Hi

I am new to the forum so please bear with me

I am a 28 years old female, have been training for the past few years and looking after my nutrition with some results. However, they are not exactly what I want and I would be really grateful for some advice on how to achieve my goals. I weigh 63kg (have been maintaining the same body weight for the past 2 years plus/minus 1-2kg). I train around 4 times a week (legs & glutes twice weekly, abs 3-4 times weekly, shoulders, chest, back once weekly). I also incorporate 1 spinning session and 1 TRX session. I don't like running so I am also considering taking up some boxing instead. My diet usually consists of the following:

2 eggs with a piece of protein based bread OR oatmeal with chia seeds and almond milk for breakfast
    50% protein bar for a snack
    chicken/salmon and veg, and sometimes sweet potato for lunch
    cottage cheese or natural yogurt with avocado for a pre gym snack (1.5 hours before)
    protein shake or light dinner (eggs or fish with veg) for dinner
    a few coffees a day
    lots of water and natural teas

I do a desk job which is usually around 9 hours daily and I actually don't get a chance to move much during weekdays, with the exception of a bit of walking and gym sessions.

I attach a couple of images of my ideal body with an image of how I look now. I would be very grateful for some advice on how to get to the stage I am after. Do I need to bulk and cut, or just cut? Should I introduce some other forms of exercise into my routine? I already lift weights, squat, do dead lifts etc.

Thank you very much in advance x
    Nutrition looks ok. I would BULK for 8 months then cut for 2-4 months, then BULK 8 more months, then cut again. For calf and abs train 3 days per week with heavy weights always to failure, 8-12sets with 30-100 reps. All other muscles lift heavy to failure with 6-12reps. BULK and GROW!

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How tall are you? Weight is meaningless without height.

How many calories do you eat?
    What are your current macros? Doesn't look like enough fat.
    Why the heavy reliance on bars shakes?

Also, meal timing/frequency is useless. You can eat as often or infrequent as you want as long as you hit your target calories and macros in each 24 hr period.

Why do you train abs twice as much as everything else?
    What program are you following?
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    How tall are you? Weight is meaningless without height.

How many calories do you eat?
    What are your current macros? Doesn't look like enough fat.
    Why the heavy reliance on bars shakes?

Also, meal timing/frequency is useless. You can eat as often or infrequent as you want as long as you hit your target calories and macros in each 24 hr period.

Why do you train abs twice as much as everything else?
    What program are you following?
    Thanks - will try and answer those in turn!

I am 174 cm tall (5'9). I eat under 2000 kcal a day, on off-days I eat more. I don't really eat carbs beyond occasional piece of rye bread. I don't really know my current macros. I rely on shakes and protein bars only because I do long hours at work and rarely get to cook. I prep my breakfast and lunch but for snacks I often have to rely on shakes to get the additional calories. I also like protein bars - have a bit of sweet tooth

I can't really answer your question re training abs - it has become a habit to do it at the end of every workout. I don't really have a programme other than for one I have created myself. I am about to change it now also to the following:

Monday - boxing
    Tuesday - legs, shoulders and back
    Wednesday - Bikram yoga
    Thursday - chest and arms
    Friday - boxing
    Saturday - rest day
    Sunday - Bikram yoga or cycling

Does this work in your opinion?

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks - will try and answer those in turn!

I am 174 cm tall (5'9). I eat under 2000 kcal a day, on off-days I eat more. I don't really eat carbs beyond occasional piece of rye bread. I don't really know my current macros. I rely on shakes and protein bars only because I do long hours at work and rarely get to cook. I prep my breakfast and lunch but for snacks I often have to rely on shakes to get the additional calories. I also like protein bars - have a bit of sweet tooth

I can't really answer your question re training abs - it has become a habit to do it at the end of every workout. I don't really have a programme other than for one I have created myself. I am about to change it now also to the following:

Monday - boxing
    Tuesday - legs, shoulders and back
    Wednesday - Bikram yoga
    Thursday - chest and arms
    Friday - boxing
    Saturday - rest day
    Sunday - Bikram yoga or cycling

Does this work in your opinion?
    Well, what is your goal? At your height, your weight can't really go down. If you're not happy with your composition, you probably need to focus on gaining muscle, but that requires a calorie surplus and a consistent, well-designed lifting routine, and adequate protein intake.

Personally I think you need to bulk, and that means 3-4 days of solid lifting, and a couple of rest days (or light activity).

You need to figure out what your priorities are. Yoga isn't going to change your composition at all. You've got 4 days dedicated to boxing and yoga, and to make real changes you need 3-4 days of lifting and a couple days of rest per week. Is boxing your 'thing'? Do you HAVE to have yoga twice per week? Is bikram yoga relaxing and easy (good for a rest day) or is it hard?

I used to follow an "A/B" lifting split that was A) squat, bench, row on one day and B)deadlift, overhead press, pull ups on the other.

Even if you only managed 3 solid lifting sessions per week, you could add some muscle. But again, gaining muscle requires a calorie surplus and dedication.
    You probably need to decide what you are willing to give up and what's most important to you.

Well, what is your goal? At your height, your weight can't really go down. If you're not happy with your composition, you probably need to focus on gaining muscle, but that requires a calorie surplus and a consistent, well-designed lifting routine, and adequate protein intake.

Personally I think you need to bulk, and that means 3-4 days of solid lifting, and a couple of rest days (or light activity).

You need to figure out what your priorities are. Yoga isn't going to change your composition at all. You've got 4 days dedicated to boxing and yoga, and to make real changes you need 3-4 days of lifting and a couple days of rest per week. Is boxing your 'thing'? Do you HAVE to have yoga twice per week? Is bikram yoga relaxing and easy (good for a rest day) or is it hard?

I used to follow an "A/B" lifting split that was A) squat, bench, row on one day and B)deadlift, overhead press, pull ups on the other.

Even if you only managed 3 solid lifting sessions per week, you could add some muscle. But again, gaining muscle requires a calorie surplus and dedication.
    You probably need to decide what you are willing to give up and what's most important to you.
    Sorry if I sound a little over the place - I am really quite inexperienced in this.

I have attached pics of Katya Elise Henry who pretty much embodies what I am trying to achieve.

In terms of boxing, it is my substitute for cardio - I don't enjoy running so would like to do it at least once a week. Bikram yoga is not very hard and it's great for rest days for purposes of stretching out etc. I could ideally do 3 days lifting a week but this is what I have been doing so far. Granted, I don't use very heavy weights (dead lifts, squats etc with 15-20 kg, arms with 12kg). Do I need to go heavier?

Also, when you say that gaining muscle will require a calorie surplus - this is something that puzzles me a bit. Do I need to eat more than I do now? If so, will that not lead to me gaining weight/fat? Right now I eat around 2000 kcals a day and I usually exercise at least for an hour, if not more, a day, with a couple of rest days a week.

Sorry if I sound a little over the place - I am really quite inexperienced in this.

I have attached pics of Katya Elise Henry who pretty much embodies what I am trying to achieve.

In terms of boxing, it is my substitute for cardio - I don't enjoy running so would like to do it at least once a week. Bikram yoga is not very hard and it's great for rest days for purposes of stretching out etc. I could ideally do 3 days lifting a week but this is what I have been doing so far. Granted, I don't use very heavy weights (dead lifts, squats etc with 15-20 kg, arms with 12kg). Do I need to go heavier?

Also, when you say that gaining muscle will require a calorie surplus - this is something that puzzles me a bit. Do I need to eat more than I do now? If so, will that not lead to me gaining weight/fat? Right now I eat around 2000 kcals a day and I usually exercise at least for an hour, if not more, a day, with a couple of rest days a week.
    No pic attached, but it doesn't matter anyways. A pic of you would be a lot more helpful.

You don't need cardio, you need to gain muscle.

You don't enjoy running so you want to do it AT LEAST once per week???

You will definitely want to go heavier, and you want to follow a 'REAL' program with built in progression. If you don't go heavier, there is no progression, which means there is no muscle growth.

You need to eat enough to gain 1-2 lbs per month. This is about 200 calories over maintenance.

Yes, you'll gain "a little' fat. Fat is easy to lose, muscle is HARD to gain. Gain the muscle for a few months, then lose the fat in a few weeks. Cut and bulk, over and over, until you reach your desired physique.

Thank you for that. My pic is attached in the first post - the one with TRX.

I do not want to run at least once a week - I want to do some cardio activity through boxing which I enjoy.

No pic attached, but it doesn't matter anyways. A pic of you would be a lot more helpful.

You don't need cardio, you need to gain muscle.

You don't enjoy running so you want to do it AT LEAST once per week???

You will definitely want to go heavier, and you want to follow a 'REAL' program with built in progression. If you don't go heavier, there is no progression, which means there is no muscle growth.

You need to eat enough to gain 1-2 lbs per month. This is about 200 calories over maintenance.

Yes, you'll gain "a little' fat. Fat is easy to lose, muscle is HARD to gain. Gain the muscle for a few months, then lose the fat in a few weeks. Cut and bulk, over and over, until you reach your desired physique.

Thank you for that. My pic is attached in the first post - the one with TRX.

I do not want to run at least once a week - I want to do some cardio activity through boxing which I enjoy.
    Ahh, I see it now. You seem to be in a perfect position to bulk. That's what I would do. Lift 3 x per week, box a couple times per week, yoga for relaxation on rest days. Eat, eat, eat.

Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You look great now. Not too far off from where you want to be.

Everybody is different-I had to give up the cardio to gain weight. Maybe try cutting back a bit on the cardio. You can always add it back later when you are dieting down.

Get your macros on track and you'll be set.

Easy macros: http://www.iifym.com click on 'calculators'.
    Under Construction.