Nikward73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nikward73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

42, Newbie, Girl

Hello Everyone
    I am sure there have been posts like this before, so please point me in the right direction if this has been discussed. In a nutshell, I am 42 and last year decided to get my act together. I need to lose weight but more importantly I want to look amazing. Last year I joined a Triathlon club and completed two Sprint Triathlons which proved to myself I can acheive anything if I want to. But due to a pretty bad knee injury reoccuring, I have been told to stop running. So swimming, cycling and weights are the way forward for me. I have looked through the workouts posted here and have started on the Figure girls sculpting workout posted by BiologyBabe which is mainly upper body but from the waist up it appears this is where I need to work on the most. I am also using the My Fitness Pal app which has put me at 1,640 calories a day. I don't want to be doing protein shakes but any advice would be grateful.

If I follow this workout twice a week including swimming and cycling do you think I will get that ripped body I've always wanted?
    Am I too late in the game?
    Although I eat every 3 hours, which is pretty healthy (chicken, sweet pots, veg, fruit, oats etc) should I be following a strict protein, healthy fat content at this stage, or just work on getting rid of my winter blubber?

I keep looking at the pictures of these amazing defined girls and want to join the club. Starter tips would be amazing

Thanks guys and girls

Nikki

akeod99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akeod99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akeod99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akeod99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akeod99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akeod99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akeod99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akeod99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akeod99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akeod99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akeod99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You'll get much better inputs from others here. Some smart folks on these boards. My thoughts...

1. In my opinion, you don't have to run to get in great shape. You can do a variety of different cardio options either steady state or HIIT. If your goal is to compete in Tri's, then you need to work that out. But strictly regarding getting fit, you can do it without running.
    2. Good that you're trying to figure out calories. Calories in, calories out is the basic formula. But to ensure you are striking the right balance with your body, you should figure out your macros. Look throughout this forum. There is a thread that has real detailed information on this. Find that thread, it's good.
    3. Too late in the game? Hope not. I'm 36...41 will be here soon.
    4. If you are trying to eat just to lose weight, you can be successful. But I think that eating for long term sustainment through a life style change will produce a more lasting impact than just eating for weight loss. It's a lifestyle shift.
    5. Review programs such as Short Cut to Shred or something like that for good exercise routines for cutting weight.

That's my two cents.

mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want to lose fat, it will all come to your calorie deficit (eat less than you burn). Cardio is not necessary to lose fat. Lifting heavy is important to maintain your lean body mass. Women lift the same way as men do. A lot of programs out there are not very good.

Here's is something to get you started:

1.Calculate your maintenance calories using the stickie
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183
    Or
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

2. Eat at a deficit of 10-15% of your maintenance calories by recording everything you eat which should be a variety of food you enjoy. Whole food is better for your overall health. Meal timing makes no difference. - no need to eat every 3 hrs unless it's what works for you.

3. Full body workout 3 x a week. All pro is a good beginner one. Link here courtesy of Kimm4:
    http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.c...r_Routine_Wiki

4. Keep tracking your food (weighting the food is better) and your body measurements and be very very patient.

5. Eventually start tracking your protein(about 0.8g per body weight in pound) and fat(about 0.45g per body weight in pounds). For the rest of calories use a combo of carb, fat and protein as you want.

Good luck.
    ** Marie **
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom." - Jim Rohn

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157469793

Nikward73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nikward73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys for the feedback it really will help. Triathlons are behind me now due to no running but I can now concentrate on lifting and working on the body fat loss to get the ripped look I am after. Appreicate everything and have a great weekend!

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would stay away from that workout if it is mostly upper body. Building strength come from working the whole body as everything is interconnected. Not knowing what you knee problems are but properly done squats usually improve knee conditions over time. Do a beginners program that focus on the basic compound lifts.

67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000)
    There are a lot of ladies here who have done impressive work in the gym.

My wife's running speed (10-20km runner) improved a lot after doing strength training. Be consistent. It's much harder for the ladies to add muscle mass, so kudos to those of you who do that.

Additional muscle will burn more calories on a day to day basis. Basic 5x5 strength sets. Foundation movements. Supersets with good strength components, instead of cardio. With your triathalon background there is probably not a lot of gains from doing more cardio for you.

Diet and strength. Eating will require 85% of your focus, strength work 10% and then everything else 5%. You are used to burning a lot of carbs if you have done triathalons. Big changes coming to your diet there.

More importantly the weight lifting exercises will encourage your body to maintain bone density. Super important for women.

Best of luck.
    I'm going to take the Sc0liosis curve out of my back and eliminate my nerve pain

familyguy1975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) familyguy1975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) familyguy1975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) familyguy1975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) familyguy1975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) familyguy1975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) familyguy1975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) familyguy1975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) familyguy1975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) familyguy1975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) familyguy1975 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Never too late!

Trust me on this. HIIT bike intervals. Plus swimming 45 mn moderate. 1hour fasted walking in the AM with coffee (black) + intermittent daily fasting 11am-5pm eating window. Very clean diet with carb cycling 100g carbs a day for 10 days then a 400 carb cheat day . No carbs after 5pm. If you want a glass or two of wine or a drink, workout again at night cardio 30 mn at 5pm. Earn it go to bed starving.

Do this and fat will literally fly off.