Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jay1145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Problems with my chest

Alright, I have a medical condition wich is called "pectus excavatum". This is when my ribcage indents, making it look..well..weird and its rather uncomfortable to take my shirt off, since im 15 with it . Im wondering, if anyone even has this, if working out the chest muscles will maybe make the indent seem not as bad. Im going to see a doctor about it in a week, but im curious to see if anyone has this and/or has seen improvment with it by working out. Thanks

nybble has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nybble has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nybble has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nybble has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nybble has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nybble has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nybble has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nybble has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nybble has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nybble has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nybble has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    pics?
    Short-term Pain, Long term Gain.

Baby Bear is just really nice. (+1000) Baby Bear is just really nice. (+1000) Baby Bear is just really nice. (+1000) Baby Bear is just really nice. (+1000) Baby Bear is just really nice. (+1000) Baby Bear is just really nice. (+1000) Baby Bear is just really nice. (+1000) Baby Bear is just really nice. (+1000) Baby Bear is just really nice. (+1000) Baby Bear is just really nice. (+1000) Baby Bear is just really nice. (+1000)
    A friend of mine has the same problem, his 19 now, been going to the gym for 2 years. His chest works normaly and he is getting stronger and bigger, his indent didnt seem to change, cause he got musscle all over the chest and over the indent so it looks the same. But another friend of mine got a cosmetic surgery of his and its indistinguisable now.

jmass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

i have yhis problem too. dont worry the more muscle you get the less its apparent go lift some weights

Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000)
    imagine having THIS AND GYNO!!!!
    ~460/~320/510 pr's

fun pr's
    deadlift 340 x 15
    squats 245 x 45

6' ~220

Heh sorry i couldnt get any pictures. I feel alot better now tho hehe..maybe one day Ill be able to lift my shirt and not feel bad about it . Time to go work out my chest like crazy then.

Now I should add another thing. Whenever I work out my chest I can only really feel the burn on the outside of my chest..not the inside..should I keep doing those bench presses or do something else to work the inside out?
    Last edited by jay1145; 09-07-2003 at 06:59 PM.

muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

funnel chest

Forget doing a bunch of pec work to fix your pectus excavatum. I saw a guy about 25 that was well-built and had the problem. No amount of incline bench presses, etc. fixed it for him, so I know it won't work for you. But, I would bet that hanging over a bench in the dumbell pullover position would help a little. Just keep your hands behind your head for like 10 minutes or more. Look here for a picture:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...inMuscle=Chest

What did the guy on TV do to totally correct his rib cage? Surgery. I heard that you don't need surgery unless your ribs & breast bone put pressure on your heart. If you do go ahead with surgery, find a first-rate doc that will not leave lumps or big scars. Good luck.
    Last edited by muscl_savant; 09-07-2003 at 07:37 PM.

rurkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rurkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rurkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rurkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hit up an intense chest routine and down some protien and cals and you should be able to hide it decently.

Integer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Integer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Integer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Omg

About 20 minutes after reading this topic, I recalled a story about a classmate I knew.

In middle school gym class, 10 guys at a time had to bend over for a freaky-looking gym teacher to inspect us for scoliosis. [Note: interestingly enough, the students weren't the only ones who thought that teacher was freaky. My parents happened to see him last year with me, and pointed him out to me, implying that he looks like a child molester....! ]

Anyway, that student in question refused to take his shirt off several times, but once he finally complied, I was able to take a quick glance to see what the commotion was about... and noticed that his front did not look like a body.

I always suspected that what I saw was the reason he refused to swim in the pool later in high school; that his "Chlorine reactions" notes from his doctor did not state the real cause. Now I know for sure. :/

piperman is just really nice. (+1000) piperman is just really nice. (+1000) piperman is just really nice. (+1000) piperman is just really nice. (+1000) piperman is just really nice. (+1000) piperman is just really nice. (+1000) piperman is just really nice. (+1000) piperman is just really nice. (+1000) piperman is just really nice. (+1000) piperman is just really nice. (+1000) piperman is just really nice. (+1000)

The strange chest. . .

I know, I know, what am I doing on the teen forum?! Just taking a curious look to see what's being discussed here, and I came on this thread. Hey, I have lived with severe chest depression all of my life and put up with the stares, etc. No amount of pec development would cover my problem, because the lower bones of the rib cage stick out so far. The greatest danger of this condition is Marfan Syndrome. Look it up or ask your doctor. One of the signs of this is the pectus excavatum. I have had many tests to determine this condition and none have shown it existing, thankfully. My goals are to improve the overall muscular definition and strength and to ignore the visual matter of the chest. I'm adding a picture to show what my situation is. If you want more info or personal experience you might pm me.

Piperman

By the way, I'm 67, 165#, 6'.
    Attached Images
    No effort is too little if done with purpose.

Alright thanks for the replies..Maybe if I work on my stomach+chest itll draw attention away from my chest. The indent isnt that that bad...just I think i have a lil too much body fat and it makes me look well...wierd hehe. Im ganna try to lose my BF % and work on stomach and chest now.

duke114 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i got that too, if you build your chest up enough and wear a tight shirt it will actually make your chest look bigger.
    I think it makes my chest look smaller without a shirt but i knwo my muscles are pretty thick, it also doesnt allow me to get those square shaped pecs.

Its actually pretty common, mine isnt that bad but still there

actually all the times i've seen doctors i've never mentioned it to them and they never said anyhting.. next time i think i will

Yea mine isnt that bad either..but it still sux to take your shirt off and for people to think there "man boobs", but when you tell them its a disease that could crush your heart, they stop laughing. I think ill just work my pecs best I can and hope for the best results. Thanks for everyones posotive replies and suggestions

Prod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prod has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    well i have the samething, and if u saw my pics, dont look like it at all, with a shirt i look fine, so dont worry about it, im 15 too, so dont worry about it, and anyways 1 in 300 people have this condition, so ur not the only one

True..but I still feel uncomfortable walking around since my ribcage is collapsed in, it looks like i got boobs lol. IDK if u can see it or not, but my mental picture is horrible of it, and my self esteem is/has ALWAYS been low because of it thats why i was hoping I could change it. O well..back to lifting...

newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I got the opposite, my sternum sticks out. It basicly just makes my pecs bigger, and my friends say It looks like an extension to my six pack, but it does look bad right now because im underweight so I dont really have much mass but Im confident it will look better later on if it doesnt ill just get a brace (its scarless)
    **I rep back on recharge 1K+**

PharmD 2015

newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) newlifter87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

PharmD 2015

I wanna take a look at it but I cant go into it yet hehe..hopefully within a few hours-days ill be able to go in.

Originally posted by jay1145
    I wanna take a look at it but I cant go into it yet hehe..hopefully within a few hours-days ill be able to go in.
    oh do you gotta be a member.... here
    Attached Images

PharmD 2015

Wow...it duznt even look like he has it! Yay new hope Thanks for that picture!

Originally posted by jay1145
    Wow...it duznt even look like he has it! Yay new hope Thanks for that picture!
    NP man I know whats its like to have pectus (all though mines carinatum)

PharmD 2015

muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscl_savant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by newlifter87
    NP man I know whats its like to have pectus (all though mines carinatum)
    Different people have different degrees of pectus ex. Mild is fairly easy to hide. Severe is impossible to hide, no matter how much muscle you have.

blackbring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    holy crap i had that, i had it fixed with some new surgery at mass general hospital here in boston when i was probably around 13. They put a bar in my chest and flipped my ripped cage so it stuck out right, the bar stayed in for 2 years. I'm 17 now and been working out for about 3 months (never tried before because of the pectus problem) and my chest is looking completly normal, and actually looking pretty good recently since i've been lfiting.

blackbring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    and oh btw, mine was severe. He said it was one of the worst he's seen. I was the first person in boston to have that surgery done...kinda scary.

Hmm..idk if mines severe or not..I meen..it doesnt look too too bad except its just..weird looking. Just ganna keep workin on it tho and see if anything happens.

i'd say to just focus more on your chest and possibly abs.. i always think my chest looks small but its really not, so just focus on it more now.

Pec Boy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pectus Excavatum

It occurs in about every 300 babies. You can get it surgically corrected because it could press against heart and lungs. I have been feeling short of breath and i play soccer, football, and rugby. I never used to get this tired so i am gonna get it fixed. The nuss procedure is the best choice. There is less scarring. Will it affect me trying to get a 6 pack? Because it looks like it would.

FlexrRtTn8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    GOD I think i have carinatum ive been researching it all day. this blows. I knew i always had something cause when i was about 120-130 lbs it looked like an alien was about to pop out of my chest and my shirt always fukin droops over it!! Who must i seee to get a actual diagnosis? And to those who have it? Is it true that it gets worse in time? lol this suks!

this post is about 2 years old.. but it does bring up good info.

Now my chest is probably moderate and i can comment on this issue since its been such a long time. My chest still doesnt live up to the rest of my body, my pecs are rounded and you can tell i have an indent. I'm starting to think about seeing a doctor for it because my chest should look better

sHaDyOneDeath is a complete loser! (-2000) sHaDyOneDeath is a complete loser! (-2000) sHaDyOneDeath is a complete loser! (-2000) sHaDyOneDeath is a complete loser! (-2000) sHaDyOneDeath is a complete loser! (-2000) sHaDyOneDeath is a complete loser! (-2000) sHaDyOneDeath is a complete loser! (-2000) sHaDyOneDeath is a complete loser! (-2000) sHaDyOneDeath is a complete loser! (-2000) sHaDyOneDeath is a complete loser! (-2000) sHaDyOneDeath is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I have it too, mines getting worse and worse.

Ive even thought about stoping all my chest workouts. it just keeps getting more popped out.
    hes a pic of it about 3 months ago.

im thinking about getting the surgery.

FOR THE GUY WHO HAD A FRIDN GET THE SURGERY, WUT SURGERY WAS IT, COST... AND PLACE... Give us some info, or ask ur friend.. Thanks
    Attached Images