Registered User carlitos_way2002's Avatar
    carlitos_way2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

starting out and looking for help

Hello all.

I am truly starting out again after several years of not taking care of myself in any way. Let me give a few details and describe where I want to go:

1) I am 52yrs old, 6'-0", 238lbs and currently at 35% BF
    2) Like a lot of guys, I was active in my youth, but I haven't been serious about any exercise in over a decade.
    3) I just quit smoking.

Ok. I know I have a lot to overcome, but I have to start somewhere and I can't afford to quit. Let's just say that I got some unappealing news from my doctor a short time ago. I have done enough damage to myself and it has to stop. I am cleared to work out, but I have to go slowly at first.

4) I have to have a workout plan for a true beginner.
    5) My ultimate goal is sports fitness. In particular, I had a dream of getting into martial arts, but not necessarily for competition. I know I need strength, flexibility and endurance for that.
    6) In terms of flexibility, full, front and side splits will be necessary in time for kicks.
    7) I have just gotten a membership at a pretty decent gym nearby with lots of machines, free weights, treadmills and rowers (my favorite).

This website is huge and it looks like there are hundreds of possible choices for programs. Its more than just a little overwhelming. As I said, at this point, I can't afford to quit.

I tried a 'bootcamp' exercise class at the gym, but after about 10 minutes, I couldn't keep going. The guy running the class (who is in his 40s) suggested that I start a lot lower in terms of intensity so I don't get hurt. I've considered joining a martial arts class, but in my current condition, its clear that I can't keep up with them right now.

So... I'm looking for a beginner program to get me some strength, endurance and flexibility. There doesn't seem to be a category for somebody that wants to be somewhere between 'athlete' and 'bodybuilder'. I'd love to get started on this asap. ALSO... I saw the $100,000 challenge program on this site. I doubt I can win that, but I am going to sign up for it in December anyway. I need all the motivation I can get.

I have a strange work schedule (Sun - Wed, 11 hr shifts) so for the present, most of my workout efforts have to be Wed night thru Saturday.

If any of you can suggest programs for a guy starting out again from scratch (yep... true beginner) I would really appreciate it. I also need to deal with the nutritional stuff asap (doctor's bad news). If you can, please send me the links to whatever you suggest and I will definitely check it out.

I know this has been a lot. Thanks very much for reading this far and also for any help you may provide.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Here are your best places to start:

Beginner bodybuilding program (which will also make you much stronger):
    *Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
    http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

*Allpro FAQ: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1092862673

This thread will explain all the steps to figure your baseline of required protein, fat, carbs, and calories:
    *Emma Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183

Get your regular-food nutrition squared-away and your eating on a consistent basis for a couple of months, and then consider addition of possible supplements.

Guessing at portion sizes or relying on food package information will fail you. Buy an inexpensive digital food scale (~$30 at any big-box discount store), weigh your portions, and track them here: http://fitday.com
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Casedogg43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Casedogg43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Casedogg43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Casedogg43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Casedogg43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Casedogg43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Casedogg43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Casedogg43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Casedogg43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Casedogg43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Casedogg43 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My 1st post, and it's giving advice (opinion) ha.

It's a great start to commit to getting healthy! You are committed, right?

1. get nutritional program started ASAP: Avoid carbs, after lunch, eat lots of veggies and tons of protein to fill your caloric intake requirements. Get help with nutrition from someone with knowledge that can give you a simple diet plan. 1st month or two is easy, as it will be somewhat exciting to change eating habit, etc.

2. get to the gym Weds after work, Thursday/Friday/Sat in the AM. those days commit to cardio 10 min warm up, and 40 min of weights (4 day split) Work out each body part 1 day a week, set failure at 15-18 reps . 2 min between sets, & Protein, protein, protein...

3. Do NOT skip any workouts and Do NOT eat any food that is not on your menu for 3 months.

4. if at all possible. get a 30 min cardio workout on Monday, your body will love this after previous 4 days of weights.

5. after two months of COMMITMENT and eating well, working out consistently. You will feel terrific and should be ready for more intense workouts. Get with a trainer to take the next step, pick a program here that fits you at that point, or workout with a friend that has some experience. Time to move forward

COMMITMENT is golden ticket.
    "YOU vs. YOU" works!

1fatoldman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fatoldman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fatoldman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fatoldman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fatoldman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fatoldman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fatoldman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fatoldman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fatoldman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fatoldman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fatoldman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Here are your best places to start:

Beginner bodybuilding program (which will also make you much stronger):
    *Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
    http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

*Allpro FAQ: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1092862673

This thread will explain all the steps to figure your baseline of required protein, fat, carbs, and calories:
    *Emma Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183

Get your regular-food nutrition squared-away and your eating on a consistent basis for a couple of months, and then consider addition of possible supplements.

Guessing at portion sizes or relying on food package information will fail you. Buy an inexpensive digital food scale (~$30 at any big-box discount store), weigh your portions, and track them here: http://fitday.com
    ^^THIS^^
    All you need to know. YOU just have to supply the time and hard work!
    Soon to be X-Fatoldman :)

If you always do what you've always done
    You'll Always get what you always got

My Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150344193

7-9-12 295 lbs
    9-19-14 218 lbs

Good stuff!

Hello Ironwill2008

Thanks very much for your answer. I have been checking the links and saw the allpro with over 300 pages of responses. I don't have to read through any more to know that this plan has been tried and tested.

I will need to print out some stuff about the 10 rep max and the caloric stuff is all brand new to me. I will get what I need together and start on the plan asap. I have a couple of additional questions for you or if anyone else knows, I'm all ears.

Regarding a particular sports application (or maybe this counts as two), kicks and doing splits, I have read the following online "It’s a strange but true fact that you might have the flexibility to do a high kick but not the strength needed to execute it. However, the reverse is not true… if you have the strength to do a high kick you must also have the flexibility to do it. You could have only built the strength by being in that extreme position. If it seems like I’m waffling let me make it easier to understand by saying - if you can do proper front splits you will certainly have the flexibility to do high kicks but if you have not practiced isometric strength building you might not have the hip muscle or hamstring strength to do them."

What do you think about the merits of that statement?
    Do you know of a plan you can point me to that is designed to help me with the strength, balance and flexibility for kicking? If it is not advisable for me to start something like this yet, I believe i saw on the allpro thread that I probably need to wait until after I have completed the first cycle before trying any other exercises.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Hello to Casedogg and 1fatoldman

Thanks for the encouragement. I figured I needed to get humble and admit that I don't know how get where I need to be. Diet, commitment, time and hard work...

I can suffer through all this work or suffer what will happen if I don't do all this work, so I'm choosing the better path.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by carlitos_way2002 View Post
    Hello Ironwill2008

Thanks very much for your answer. I have been checking the links and saw the allpro with over 300 pages of responses. I don't have to read through any more to know that this plan has been tried and tested.

I will need to print out some stuff about the 10 rep max and the caloric stuff is all brand new to me. I will get what I need together and start on the plan asap. I have a couple of additional questions for you or if anyone else knows, I'm all ears.

Regarding a particular sports application (or maybe this counts as two), kicks and doing splits, I have read the following online "It’s a strange but true fact that you might have the flexibility to do a high kick but not the strength needed to execute it. However, the reverse is not true… if you have the strength to do a high kick you must also have the flexibility to do it. You could have only built the strength by being in that extreme position. If it seems like I’m waffling let me make it easier to understand by saying - if you can do proper front splits you will certainly have the flexibility to do high kicks but if you have not practiced isometric strength building you might not have the hip muscle or hamstring strength to do them."

What do you think about the merits of that statement?
    Do you know of a plan you can point me to that is designed to help me with the strength, balance and flexibility for kicking? If it is not advisable for me to start something like this yet, I believe i saw on the allpro thread that I probably need to wait until after I have completed the first cycle before trying any other exercises.

Thanks again for all of your help.
    I don't presume to know about martial-arts-specific training. The best I can offer you is a link to information on increasing your overall flexibility:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123273471

You might want to have a look through these other forums for something more specific to your own requirements:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Carlito: (and BTW, Carlitos Way was a GREAT movie ):

everyone has given great advice, so now, I will nit pick:

your first sentence:

I am truly starting out again after several years of not taking care of myself in any way.
    okay: several years of nothing IN ANY WAY, but then, you asked Bill a question regarding tying in training to Martial Arts , which was very specific to that field of endeavor:

so what is the deal? do you , or have you been doing Martial Arts in these last couple of years, or is this something from your past you would like to re-visit, and is your wanting to train for the purpose of Martial arts?

thank you...
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

Hello again Ironwill.

I will check those links. Thanks again for your help.

Hello John Gargani.

I thought I was being clear, but let me copy and paste from what I wrote:
    "5) My ultimate goal is sports fitness. In particular, I had a dream of getting into martial arts, but not necessarily for competition. I know I need strength, flexibility and endurance for that."

So, to answer your questions: I have not been doing martial arts in the past couple of years; it is a DREAM of mine, something I always wanted to do; and yes, my wanting to train is for the purpose of martial arts because, as I said, the sports fitness stuff is my ultimate goal.

I don't mind the nit-picking, but I thought I had actually answered the things you were asking.

jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hello...

Keep it simple....too much talking.....

You want sports fitness at your age....
    In my humble opinion follow these steps...
    Do what these guys tell you..

1: Go to your gym...start with and simple strength routines...build some strength.
    2: Eat right
    3: Join a Crossfit class and learn how to kick ass....
    Do all three instead of talking and my bet is that you will come close to achieving your goals?

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want to get in the martial arts, the best time to do it is now. Don't hold off until you're "fit enough", a good martial arts instructor will work with you at your current abilities. They will also give you the tools to work up to high kicks.

InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jba1 View Post
    ...3: Join a Crossfit class and learn how to kick ass...
    OP can't survive 10 minutes in a gym boot camp style class and you're telling him to go do CrossFit, lulz.
    "Sammiches are like sets of 20 rep squats; if you need a second one, the first one wasn't heavy enough." - DuracellBunny

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by carlitos_way2002 View Post
    Hello John Gargani.

I thought I was being clear, but let me copy and paste from what I wrote:
    "5) My ultimate goal is sports fitness. In particular, I had a dream of getting into martial arts, but not necessarily for competition. I know I need strength, flexibility and endurance for that."

So, to answer your questions: I have not been doing martial arts in the past couple of years; it is a DREAM of mine, something I always wanted to do; and yes, my wanting to train is for the purpose of martial arts because, as I said, the sports fitness stuff is my ultimate goal.

I don't mind the nit-picking, but I thought I had actually answered the things you were asking.
    thank you for that information, it helps to clarify your goals better and where you are...just follow Ironwill's advice for now....
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.