wrobbins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Hack Squat Old style

I wondering I want get to back real basics of training. Can you perform the Hack squat (I am talking about the old 30's style) with as much weight or better than the regular squat.

I feel that it just like a deadlift in most aspects. So I would think you could really pile on the weight.

Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: Hack Squat Old style

Originally posted by wrobbins
    I wondering I want get to back real basics of training. Can you perform the Hack squat (I am talking about the old 30's style) with as much weight or better than the regular squat.

I feel that it just like a deadlift in most aspects. So I would think you could really pile on the weight.
    It is a compound exercise, and with this, you can use a considerable amount of weight (relative to your strength). It is quite different, though, as when you do a squat, the barbell is upon your shoulders, and as such, it is PUSHING you down to the ground. In the case of the barbell Hack Squat, since you are holding the bar with the grasp of your hands, you have to fight the resistance that is PULLING you down.

Now, this distinction is not so subtle, as the downward pulling motion involves your traps to a greater degree, much like a deadlift, and unlike the squat, where you can use the strength of your back and shoulders to assist you in this lift, the barbell hack squat put much more emphasis in pure leg strength, and less emphasis (relative to regular squats), on your back and shoulders. Even more important, your strength of grip becomes one very important limiting factor in performing this exercise, as squating 400 pounds, with the weight supported on your shoulders, is quite different that supporting 400 pounds, with your hands.

So, although you can use a tremendous amount of weight for this exercise (again, relative to your strength), it will not be to the same extent as a regular squat, nor, would I think, that you would be able to use as much weight as you could for a deadlift.

Thumbs up thank you for your view

So as you were saying this could really be the ticket I am looking for. It will tax strength, concentration, and willpower. You see never like anything to come easy that is the spice of life.

Another point here Canada everyone is talking about protein loading. Now I know I use this for precontest, but I never really tried at off season. They say that you can trick the body into 5 to 10 lbs of rapid muscle mass development.

What are your views.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply.

wrobbins

Thumbs up thank you for your view

So as you were saying this could really be the ticket I am looking for. It will tax strength, concentration, and willpower. You see never like anything to come easy that is the spice of life.

Another point here Canada everyone is talking about protein loading. Now I know I use this for precontest, but I never really tried at off season. They say that you can trick the body into 5 to 10 lbs of rapid muscle mass development.

What are your views.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply.

wrobbins

Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000) Dante B. is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: thank you for your view

Originally posted by wrobbins

For the sake of simplicity, I will say that I do not necessarily believe in "protein loading". On a consistant basis, if you are a consistant weight lifter, you should be taking in a decent amount of protein to begin with (i.e. 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound). Of course, on carb restricted diets, then it is very beneficial (necessary), to increase your protein to mitigate the potential for muscle loss. So, as such, I do not think that you need to "load" your protein, as much as you should generally be taking a good amount on a consistant basis in whichever manner.

It is nice to see that many "old school" exercises are making their way into the routines of the "new school", as there is much to be learned from the past.

decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Could either of you please provide a more detailed explanation of this style hack squat? Although, I am old school (over 40), I am not famaliar with it. Tx-

Barbell Hack Squats:

1) Using an olympic barbell, load the weight for which you will use
    2) Place both feet, in front of the barbell, so that the front of the bar is behind the back of your feet
    3) Grab the bar, with a shoulder wide grip
    4) Squat down, as though you were performing a deadlift (or if you were at the bottom position of a full squat)
    5) Keep your back straight (throughout the entire movement), your abs tense (do not let go of this abdominal tension), your hands tight, and your legs firmly in place
    6) Procceed to stand up, as though you were driving your legs INTO the ground, while at the same time, keeping the bar, which is held behind you, close to your butt. If you attempt to stand up, while keeping the bar to low to the ground, you will compomise efficiency, as you are losing velocity as the bar drags on your hamstrings. Again, keep the bar, tightly in place against your ass, as this will allow you to perfom this movement with a smooth, full range of motion.
    7) At the very hight of this movement, you should be standing up straight, with the bar behind you, resting upon your behind. Keep tense, again, and inhale on your way back down, to the bottom postion, for which you should end up in the bottom squat position, once again, with the front of the bar, behind the back of your foot.
    8) Imortant:
    a) keep tense throughout the full range of motion
    b) keep your abs, and your ass, especially tense
    c) Inhale on way down, exhale on the way up
    d) Start off with a very light weight, as this is a rather difficult movement at first.

Enjoy,
    Dante

decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks. Very clear explanation. Sounds good. Will try.

If there are any other old style exericses you would recommend.

Thank you,

It seem to that we getting into a great rap session after our workouts. You seem to very descriptive in the way you explain the methods of doing these exericses. I must say I look forward in corresponding with each day.

I just want include one more thing today. With all my competing I have become lactose intolerant. How I have discuss with many lifters at the gym and they say that I must slowly introduce milk back into my daily menu. What are your views on this.

Hope to hear from you soon

wrobbins

As far as lactose intolerance goes, as you get older, generally (this depends upon the person, and even their race), you lose the ability to digest milk (due to the lactose). You may either 1) not drink milk at all 2) Drink regular milk, with the combination of lactase (milk/lactose digesting enzyme) or 3) Buy milk that has the lactose removed. There are many other ways to get calories, and protein, other than using your milk as a source.

There are literally thousands of exercises that you can do, and everyone has their favourites, old and new alike. Generally, the more productive movements are the most complex, and compound movements. SInce they require the stability of so many muscle groups to work in tandem, in the process of completing the exercise, it then comes to follow that any given compound exercise is going to be beneficial for numerous muscle groups at the same time.

Here is another one for you: Crucifixion Pullups

1)This can be done with, or without weight (perhaps a dumbell held between your ankles)
    2) Use a pullup bar, or the bar at the very top of the squat rack for this movements (I prefer to hang off of the top bar of the squat rack, just for the fact that my feet are not likely to hit the ground upon descent).
    3) Depending on the height of the bar (especially if you are using a dumbell between you ankles), you may wish to use a bench as your starting point to reach the bar from.
    4) Grap the bar, with an extremely wide grip, to the point where your arms are almost fully extended, but not completely.
    5) Keep your abs, and your ass very tight throughout the entire movements.
    6) Pull up, while slowly exhaling.
    7) Upon the pull-up portion of this movement, your shoulder girdle, and arms should be kept very tense.
    8) Picture youself trying to dislocate your shoulders by pushing your arms out, at the same time as you are pulling up.
    9) At the very top of this movement, the FRONT of the bar, should be touching upon the BACK of your neck, so, if someone were facing you, the bar would be hidden behind you head. At the very top of this movement, it should look at though you were crucifying yourself, with the bar horizontally running across the back of your neck, and your shoulders, and arms, extended outward. This is much like an iron cross (just a little easier though).
    10) Upon your decent, keep your shoulder girdle tight, and inhale.

Important:
    a) keep stomach and ass tight throughout the entire movement
    b) Keep shoulder girdle, and arms, tight throught the entire movement, as this puts great strain upon your shoulders and joints, and, if you do not keep adequate tension, you run the risk of injuring yourself.
    c) Upon the pullup portion of this movement, try to push your arm/shoulders out, while at the same time pulling up.

This is a great exercise to learn shoulder control, and to tie in your shoulders to your back.

I'll give it try

Today I am looking for the proper way to perform sissy squats and high pulls.

If you can help me it would much be appreciated.

Thank you, your friend

wrobbins