Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

York Legacy Dumbells?

MDUSA has the york legacy dumbbells (roundheads)

and they qualify for the 25% off holiday sale. that puts them at 840.99 shipped or $1.53/#.

personally i like the look of these a lot more than hex or other commercial dumbbell sets, but it's still more than what i was wanting to spend. still i can afford them. do you guys think i should go with a 5-50# set to start with and then worry about finding heavier dumbbells later? or do you think it's smarter to buy an adjustable dumbbell set and use those until i can find a better deal?
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That's a lot to be spending on a 5-50 set that you will no doubt outgrow in short order. At that time, be hard to recoup your original investment. I'd wait for a better deal or start looking out for cheap pancake plates then slowly build your own set. Maybe in 10's increment with platemate to fill in the gap. Adjustable are fine but there's no denying the raw looks of a row of pro style DB's in one's home gym, assuming you have the space

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    5-50 would have very limited use. I'd much rather have fixed dumbbells for weights over 50 lbs. Spinlocks are very easy to manage below 50 lbs. At heavier weights, spinlocks become a bit more awkward and putsy.

If you've got the money, it's just a matter of what you really want. If you don't mind buying used, deals will turn up on Craigslist. Iirc, I sent you an email with a link to a deal on vintage York globe dumbbells a while back.

I went with adjustables for space saving reasons. I like both Ironmasters and Powerblocks (I have both). And even if I were to buy a set of fixed dumbbells I'd probably keep them.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Poordad View Post
    That's a lot to be spending on a 5-50 set that you will no doubt outgrow in short order. At that time, be hard to recoup your original investment. I'd wait for a better deal or start looking out for cheap pancake plates then slowly build your own set. Maybe in 10's increment with platemate to fill in the gap. Adjustable are fine but there's no denying the raw looks of a row of pro style DB's in one's home gym, assuming you have the space
    i have the space, but you're right it's a lot of money. i dunno how fast i'd outgrow it, but i was kind of thinking the rest of what you're saying about outgrowing and recouping investment...

Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    5-50 would have very limited use. I'd much rather have fixed dumbbells for weights over 50 lbs. Spinlocks are very easy to manage below 50 lbs. At heavier weights, spinlocks become a bit more awkward and putsy.

If you've got the money, it's just a matter of what you really want. If you don't mind buying used, deals will turn up on Craigslist. Iirc, I sent you an email with a link to a deal on vintage York globe dumbbells a while back.

I went with adjustables for space saving reasons. I like both Ironmasters and Powerblocks (I have both). And even if I were to buy a set of fixed dumbbells I'd probably keep them.
    yeah you did send me that email i remember, i'm not sure i have the patience to piece together a dumbbell set one pair at a time but i do understand that it's sort of a waste...the 55-100 set costs 2.2k lol

thanks
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    i have the space, but you're right it's a lot of money. i dunno how fast i'd outgrow it, but i was kind of thinking the rest of what you're saying about outgrowing and recouping investment...

yeah you did send me that email i remember, i'm not sure i have the patience to piece together a dumbbell set one pair at a time but i do understand that it's sort of a waste...the 55-100 set costs 2.2k lol

thanks
    Did you get some Legacy´s in the end?
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #75 ▪██─────██▪

claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I really like these type of dumbells but honestly never would want to own any. I like them simply because they are york but I have to imagine the surface area on the bottom of the dumbell is awkward, much like hex dumbells (the reason I don't use those).

It just seems to me that if someone was to ever spend that much money on DB's, it is a better idea to search around for Ivanko pro-styles. The larger surface area just makes them easier to get on off your knees, do tricep extensions with, pull overs etc.. Hard to beat the prostyles.
    I am going to die under a heavy barbell one day and it's going to be f*cking awesome--HamburgerTrain

()---() York Barbell Club #36 ()---()
    ***Knee Dragger Unite***
    ***ShowerBEER Crew***
    ***Viking Crew***

aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    He ended up scoring some nice Powerblocks and a bench for a good price if I recall correctly.

MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MonkeyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by claricSTi View Post
    I really like these type of dumbells but honestly never would want to own any. I like them simply because they are york but I have to imagine the surface area on the bottom of the dumbell is awkward, much like hex dumbells (the reason I don't use those).

It just seems to me that if someone was to ever spend that much money on DB's, it is a better idea to search around for Ivanko pro-styles. The larger surface area just makes them easier to get on off your knees, do tricep extensions with, pull overs etc.. Hard to beat the prostyles.
    Interesting you say this. I´m looking to upgrade from Rubber Pro Style, I want some heavier DB and was thinking about selling my current Rubber Pros and getting all Legacy. I thought the York Legacy looked a good option. I´m wondering if it´s worth changing my current ones now after considering what you said.

Not sure what you mean about the surface area on the bottom of the dumbbell?
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #75 ▪██─────██▪

Originally Posted by aclockworkoi View Post
    He ended up scoring some nice Powerblocks and a bench for a good price if I recall correctly.
    thanks man, yeah i went with a nice set of powerblocks, that cost less and are adjustable up to 90#, instead of just 50 per.

as far as the legacies, i was also worried because i thought i read someone on the forums mention they might be made in China, which to me defeats the purpose of looking for legacy weight: buying Made in USA products. especially if it costs so much