grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

(Wal-Mart) Great Value Chunk Chicken Breast

I know, I know...just buy regular chicken breasts, avoid processed foods, blah blah blah. Ok, we got that out of the way, now on to the real point of the thread.

If you shop Wal-mart you might have seen these cans of chicken. They are convenient, they taste pretty good, and they seem pretty cheap. The ONLY reason I'm posting this is for people who don't weigh their food and simply read the back of the package.

Point is, the can says it contains 6-2 oz servings. Which really means (more or less) 3-4 oz servings, or roughly 3 chicken breasts for a heck of a cheap price. The nutritional values on the back of the package confirm this. With a "minimum" of additives, it seems like a pretty good deal for quick meals and a protein fix.

Thing is, if you weigh out your food, you will find there is really only about 7 ounces of chicken in the can (a bit less than 2 chicken breasts). The rest of the weight is taken up by the can itself and the water it's packed in. There is no way the water contains the same nutritional value as the chicken itself, and the nutritional values on the back (other than the number of servings) are the same as "real" chicken.

I wrote Wal-mart and confronted them on this (I think it's a pretty blatant lie). Needless to say I got a form letter thanking me for the insight, but they "needed more information" and then gave me a huge questionnaire to fill out...I'm guessing this is their way of dissuading and ignoring people, and it worked, I really didn't want to take the time to fill this out and send it back.

So...point is, if you are buying this product, putting a whole can in a casserole or omelet or something and assuming you are getting 12 oz of chicken, you aren't, you are only getting 7 (at least that's what it came out of the 6 cans I measured). A search didn't show a thread on this that I could find, and I thought it was useful information.

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks for doing the work on that. I also use that chicken from time to time.

Have you measured the Tyson brand or any other major brand for that matter?

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by bustasinclair View Post
    Thanks for doing the work on that. I also use that chicken from time to time.

Have you measured the Tyson brand or any other major brand for that matter?
    The frozen Tyson ones are really good...in fact, I've always gotten an extra ounce or two out of each package.

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    The frozen Tyson ones are really good...in fact, I've always gotten an extra ounce or two out of each package.
    I meant 12oz cans. Meaning, is this just what the industry does as a whole? I'm pretty sure Tyson packages the Wal-Mart brand.

Or Swanson?

Originally Posted by bustasinclair View Post
    I meant 12oz cans. Meaning, is this just what the industry does as a whole? I'm pretty sure Tyson packages the Wal-Mart brand.
    Oh, no, sorry...I was just so taken by the relative cheap price on the Great Value cans for what they (supposedly) contained, that I bought a dozen cans.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Point is, the can says it contains 6-2 oz servings. Which really means (more or less) 3-4 oz servings, or roughly 3 chicken breasts

Thing is, if you weigh out your food, you will find there is really only about 7 ounces of chicken in the can (a bit less than 2 chicken breasts).
    Not sure what mini chickens you are getting but where is 12oz = 3 breasts?! Chicken breasts uncooked run 8-11oz generally.

This may be some of your issue as well. You may be confusing uncooked and cooked values. You have to learn to read labels better. Looking at the tyson product labe (which is all I could find)l it is obvious what they are doing. There is 12 oz in the can. The water and the chicken! When chicken is uncooked, the water in in the chicken, when cooked, it comes out. Poaching chicken will yeild aprox 60% of the uncooked weight. (I know because I have measure before and after weights....not because I read it somewhere) So if you measured 7 oz in the can that is EXACTLY 12oz uncooked.

This can be verified by the protein count. They are referencing uncooked chicken. The label says 2 oz has 11g of protein. This fits with the USDA number of a 4oz uncooked breast having 23g.

No big conspiracy....if you took as much time to learn about food and macro values as you did for writing complaint letters, you would see it is YOU that are wrong. You are not being cheated as there is 12oz of chicken in the can.

And....breasts are not 4oz except on mars
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    Not sure what mini chickens you are getting but where is 12oz = 3 breasts?! Chicken breasts uncooked run 8-11oz generally.

This may be some of your issue as well. You may be confusing uncooked and cooked values. You have to learn to read labels better. Looking at the tyson product labe (which is all I could find)l it is obvious what they are doing. There is 12 oz in the can. The water and the chicken! When chicken is uncooked, the water in in the chicken, when cooked, it comes out. Poaching chicken will yeild aprox 60% of the uncooked weight. (I know because I have measure before and after weights....not because I read it somewhere) So if you measured 7 oz in the can that is EXACTLY 12oz uncooked.

This can be verified by the protein count. They are referencing uncooked chicken. The label says 2 oz has 11g of protein. This fits with the USDA number of a 4oz uncooked breast having 23g.

No big conspiracy....if you took as much time to learn about food and macro values as you did for writing complaint letters, you would see it is YOU that are wrong. You are not being cheated as there is 12oz of chicken in the can.

And....breasts are not 4oz except on mars
    Sorry, should have said "servings", because I always count my meats in 4 oz servings.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sorry, should have said "servings", because I always count my meats in 4 oz servings.
    There are still 3-4oz servings of chicken breast in the can. They just weigh 2.4 oz as prepared.

Meat loses various amounts of weight in cooking. Chicken is generally 70% or original weight, except when poached such as soups or shredded. (then it is only 60% or original). Beef is anywhere from 70-85+ depending on how rare or well done you cook. Well done being similar to chicken at 70% and more rare being 85+%
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Even raw chicken has a "water-broth" added to it. Look at the package it will say xx%.

A lot of times a company wants feedback so if they sent you a form to fill out, fill it out. It may yield you some freebies from the store to keep you happy.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    TFW macros calcs blow your mind.

Cooked vs raw vs label estimates can be a pita at times. The guys that get completely freaked out by protein and fat content shifts in skin on chicken breasts cooked an uncooked. That one is always coming up.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not all advertizing is accurate, but....

The nutritional information should never factor in the container (whatever it is). Water, electrolytes, yes, but not the container.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Available as a rep

Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Had the buffalo flavored Walmart canned chicken for lunch. Added some light sour cream and chucked it on some bread. Delicious.

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Meat from a can. Lol are you people really that destitute?
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by OutOfStep View Post
    Meat from a can. Lol are you people really that destitute?
    I do remember having a few things from a can when I was a kid.

Thanks Mom!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Oh the deviled ham.....1 can was sandwiches for 3 people.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    I do remember having a few things from a can when I was a kid.

Thanks Mom!
    Always hated deviled ham, but fried spam is pretty dang good.

RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I love canned chicken tbh lol. I throw a whole can into my omelet some mornings, like 80g protein right there
    IG: dontstressbenchpress

Will follow back

MF1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MF1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MF1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MF1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MF1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MF1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MF1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MF1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MF1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MF1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MF1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I try to not remember that old meats in a can.

jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Fried spam and eggs! Yum

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why is the canned chicken more expensive than canned tuna? It's not like you have to send crews out on the ocean with boats and nets to harvest chickens.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lift heavy my friends.