jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Any other Soldiers in here? Can't wait to have some consistency!

Just venting a bit. I've been in and out of the "field" for the past 2 months. When I have a "normal" work week my eating is spot on, workouts are great, get plenty of rest, etc. This week I'm averaging 17 hr work days with little sleep and food consumption is way down. Next week should be fairly "normal" then the week after I'll be away from civilization for another 8 days. You get the point. I enjoy my job immensely. Maybe I'm just aging and ready to slow down. LOL

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I was in the army for 6 years...but that was decades ago. Got offered a free ride to West Point if I enlisted for an additional 10 years, but when you are young that seems like a lifetime, and I wanted to be "free". I would actually have retired at 37 if I stayed in...sigh (but I don't like to think about that, ha ha).

I used to HATE going to the field (although I think I would get a kick out of it now), and I spent 8 months in the barren desert during Desert Storm. This was all during the time when I was taking my lifting VERY seriously, so I feel for you. I used to have a regiment of bodyweight exercises, and other goofy things, like lateral raises with 50 cal barrels, curls and rows with 5 gallon water jugs, pushups with a backpack full of whatever was handy, ect. Of course that was never enough to keep the muscle on, and while I got really ripped during Desert Storm, I lost about 15 pounds, probably 10 of that was muscle.

I can give you one good piece of advice though...make GOOD friends with someone in the mess section (preferably everyone in the section). I don't know what you do, but there has to be a way to make a friend. If you work supply, selflessly slip them some goodies, if you are pol come around first thing in the morning and bring them gas instead of making them come to you. If you are a helicopter pilot, offer to take them up for a ride. If you are an officer, fight to get them out of guard duty (lord knows they actually have a job to do every day while most people are goofing off)The mess section has access to something you need... extra food, and always have extra REAL food. If you are dropping by with that gas in the wee hours of the morning you will find the mess section cooking up left over eggs and potatoes and ham, while everyone else is going to be eating MREs (or whatever they eat these days)...and if you are a friend of the mess they will invite you to join. Also, when everyone else is getting 1 serving, or packet, or whatever, you can get extra on the sly if you are a friend of the mess. Rub their back and they will fill your belly...trust me on this one.

jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jjack010 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Grubman, thanks for your service. I'm knocking on retirements door. 18 yrs complete. Currently serving as the BDE master gunner for an ABCT. It's more so the quality of food, as opposed to the quantity, thats the issue. I can get workouts in the field, like you've mentioned, but that doesn't help if I'm running on no sleep and hygiene conditions are poor. I've had some good workouts with a ruck, machine gun barrel and water jugs. I think I'm just ready for retirement so I can move on to the next chapter in my life and predict when I can sleep, shower, workout, eat, etc! This lifestyle wears you down quick. LOL I've lifted for years with no goal in mind other than to stay fit so I can take it to the bad guys. Now I want to take my fitness to the next level.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to throw a box or two of protein bars in my ruck which seemed to help but let's face it, the field is never a good place to be well rested and well fed. You're almost there, just hang in there a bit longer.

kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    While I never served myself, my father did, RIP. I have utmost respect for you guys.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Available as a rep

Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    I used to throw a box or two of protein bars in my ruck which seemed to help but let's face it, the field is never a good place to be well rested and well fed. You're almost there, just hang in there a bit longer.
    Yeah, I do that sometimes. Tuna and sardines have helped also. And you're right, starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Originally Posted by kconnell View Post
    While I never served myself, my father did, RIP. I have utmost respect for you guys.
    sorry brother, and thanks.

JoshL95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know the feeling jjack010 just pasted 19 and a half years myself. I'm looking forward to the end too. The field and deployments can really mess with the workout recovery schedule.

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yup will be 22 years next month. But I'm riding a desk these days, no field type stuff in a couple of years.

Glad to know there are others. I'm having a pretty good week, but next week will be very unpredictable again. I should be able to eat well, but I shouldn't expect much sleep or time for workouts. I have a desk also, but spend way too much time in the field. Lol. Could be worse, I suppose.

atkrwc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hang in there. I did 23 years Army and while I miss it sometimes, I do enjoy my civilian life. Funny, both of my daughters married soldiers, guess it became the "family business"! LOL

Family business, that funny. I'll be hitting it hard for the next several weeks. Looking forward to it. I have some predictability through mid February, then it goes to crap again! Haha. Taking my food scale with me while I'm home visiting for the holidays.

CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey Jack, and the others who chimed in...many thanks for your service. Seriously. Jack, I can only imagine how
    the commitment you all have leads to a lot of sacrifice with the things us civilians take for granted...such as
    being able to drop everything and go for a workout. One thing I can say is that if you have the drive, there's
    always time to get back on track with diet and training once your life becomes more normal in terms of the day to day.

I used to get frustrated when my busy flying season arrived-8+ hour days in the cockpit, usually followed by hours of
    maintenance...then, too tired to train. I'd see an inch I'd put on my quads slowly melt away...frustrated me.
    I now look at it a different way, with a little more patience...did it before can do it again. Only thing I can say is
    that retirement one day will be a reward for a great career and service to thankful people like me.
    "Common sense is not so common".

Originally Posted by CropDusterMan View Post
    Hey Jack, and the others who chimed in...many thanks for your service. Seriously. Jack, I can only imagine how
    the commitment you all have leads to a lot of sacrifice with the things us civilians take for granted...such as
    being able to drop everything and go for a workout. One thing I can say is that if you have the drive, there's
    always time to get back on track with diet and training once your life becomes more normal in terms of the day to day.

I used to get frustrated when my busy flying season arrived-8+ hour days in the cockpit, usually followed by hours of
    maintenance...then, too tired to train. I'd see an inch I'd put on my quads slowly melt away...frustrated me.
    I now look at it a different way, with a little more patience...did it before can do it again. Only thing I can say is
    that retirement one day will be a reward for a great career and service to thankful people like me.
    Thanks brother. Pleasure is all mine. I see the light!

bit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bit has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Not in the military, but I do share your frustration. I am a biologist and spend 2-6 weeks in the desert with limited amounts of food, little sleep and am very active during our trips. As such I typically lose 5-10 lbs in the field, come back and spend the next couple months gaining it back, only to go back in the field to lose it again. A nasty cycle that really limits any progress. What do you guys do to keep your cals up when you are away?

SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    I was in the army for 6 years...but that was decades ago. Got offered a free ride to West Point if I enlisted for an additional 10 years, but when you are young that seems like a lifetime, and I wanted to be "free". I would actually have retired at 37 if I stayed in...sigh (but I don't like to think about that, ha ha).
    Everyone who goes to USMA gets a "free ride." also, you would have left commissioned, assuming you graduate, so you wouldn't be obligated any further enlisted time.

Originally Posted by bit View Post
    Not in the military, but I do share your frustration. I am a biologist and spend 2-6 weeks in the desert with limited amounts of food, little sleep and am very active during our trips. As such I typically lose 5-10 lbs in the field, come back and spend the next couple months gaining it back, only to go back in the field to lose it again. A nasty cycle that really limits any progress. What do you guys do to keep your cals up when you are away?
    And I'd be ok with losing 5 lbs of fat, but of course is always my muscle mass that goes QUICKLY! I can typically consume lots of calories from poor food selections while away from home. Thats one of my big problems. If I'm in the field locally I try to carry lots of tuna and fresh fruit, nuts, etc. If I'm away, I'm usually stuck with lousy Army chow.

SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuicideCharley is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jjack010 View Post
    Just venting a bit. I've been in and out of the "field" for the past 2 months. When I have a "normal" work week my eating is spot on, workouts are great, get plenty of rest, etc. This week I'm averaging 17 hr work days with little sleep and food consumption is way down. Next week should be fairly "normal" then the week after I'll be away from civilization for another 8 days. You get the point. I enjoy my job immensely. Maybe I'm just aging and ready to slow down. LOL
    I feel you brother. This job I'm getting up at 0230. Gym by 0300. At work by 0430. Leave work
    At 1930. Get home around 2015. Rinse and repeat. The schedule is more consistent than other billets over the years, but the sheer volume of hours at work exceeds anything previously in my 17 years. But without irony, I wouldn't have it any other way. Getting to work with my Marines day in and day out is the best.
    Last edited by SuicideCharley; 12-17-2014 at 03:58 PM.