shady725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shady725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shady725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shady725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shady725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shady725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shady725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shady725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shady725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shady725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shady725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I cant tuck my elbows in when i bench press, they always seem to flare.

Guys when i bench press i find it hard to tuck my elbows in. Someone suggested that when im bringing the bar down to my chest i do a motion as if im bending the bar with my hands. Would this work?

Any other tips, and does elbow flaring even matter?

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Reverse grip.

taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In addition to IDB's advice, you might try using a slingshot. Other than that it's all about practice.

CawkworkOrange has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CawkworkOrange has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CawkworkOrange has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CawkworkOrange has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CawkworkOrange has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CawkworkOrange has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CawkworkOrange has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CawkworkOrange has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CawkworkOrange has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CawkworkOrange has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CawkworkOrange has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Sounds to me like you might have rounded shoulders. But what do I know, I'm just a scientist.

KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can start with push-ups and making sure you can keep the elbows in. In addition, practice pinching the shoulder blades with an exercise band. You may need to adjust your grip width; if it is too narrow, it will be hard to keep the elbows in. Also, depending where on the chest you bring the bar down can make it difficult as well.
    Instagram: https://instagram.com/kcworkout/
    http://www.KCWorkout.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/kcworkout

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have someone hold your shoulders in for a few sets so you can feel how it SHOULD feel then just mimmick that on a few more sets on your own then you'll have an idea how it should feel. You can also use a narrower grip as elbows tucked go well with a closer grip.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by shady725 View Post
    Guys when i bench press i find it hard to tuck my elbows in. Someone suggested that when im bringing the bar down to my chest i do a motion as if im bending the bar with my hands. Would this work?
    Any other tips, and does elbow flaring even matter?
    Is this with light weight too or just the heavy weight? If you can do it with light weight, drop down and work your way up with the proper form. Where on your chest does the bar touch?

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Maybe you are trying to tuck them too much, just do whatever feels comfortable.

4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Having them tucked in at a 45* angle is right for BP

Practice this with light weight and practice some more, soon it will be normal

Elbows flared DOES make a difference in shoulder injury - keep away from doing this
    BP Max: 350
    (315x4, 275x8, 11x250)

51 yrs - 6' 1" - 228

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Everyone is avoiding the elephant in the room here so I'm addressing it.

Elbow flare is ENTIRELY about bar path. When you learn to control the bar the elbow flare will come naturally, because your elbows will follow the bar. Grip width could be a limiting factor on how far you can tuck IF you have a very wide grip, which isn't a good choice to begin with. Since your elbows will always naturally be under your wrists, then as you lower the bar down lower on your chest/sternum your elbows will naturally tuck to follow your wrists. It is quite simple actually. If your elbows aren't following the bar then you are forcing something you shouldn't.

People that are having a hard time tucking elbows are using a high bar path...this is very common when pushing up. See the below video. Reps 1 and 2 are done with a proper diagonal bar path, while reps 3 and 4 are done using a incorrect bar path. Notice how the elbows flare during reps 3 and 4 when the bar moves over the upper chest.

More good reading about bench press here...lot of info to absorb. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ch+Form+Thread

Edit: Is flaring bad for your shoulders... in short yes. I remember reading some stuff posted in PL about how it impinges on the RC muscles and with prolonged aggravation will eventually saw them in half. It wasn't a peer reviewed article or anything, but it looked fairly credible.

Cliff-Occasional flaring is nothing to be concerned with. Chronic/Habitual flaring is asking for problems.
    Last edited by davisj3537; 11-21-2014 at 01:23 AM.
    Experience, not just theory

SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To be honest it sounds to me like your bench technique is incorrect, or at the very least inefficient.

Many people talk about the importance of pinching the shoulder blades, as if spewing verbatim from a "how to add 40lbs to your bench" ebook.

Whilst pinching the shoulder blades is indeed an important aspect of the set up, very few people who say to do it can actually tell you why it is important. It is partly for stability on the bench, both for the body and the shoulders, but it is mainly so that the muscles of the back, especially the lats, can actually contribute to moving the weight.

You are supposed to pinch the shoulder blades together, slightly internally rotate the shoulders without tensing the lats, rear delts etc. Once you have the weight at full lockout, you allow it to settle and your body to compress fully, so that it does not happen mid lift. Once you are settled, you start to lower the weight and allow the lats to brace the weight.

It helps to imagine it as if you were doing a barbell row, and getting a strong contraction in the lats. You can try and simulate it by standing up straight, bend your elbows at 90 degrees with elbows into your waist, and then squeeze the lats as hard as you can. This is what you should be aiming for when lowering the weight in benchpress. Not only does it reduce the effort of the chest, triceps and shoulders since they are not having to brace the bar whilst lowering, but the lats also have one key function, which completely removes elbow flaring.

The Latissmus Dorsi has a primary function of adducting the humerus to the torso. This is also one of the many functions of the rotator cuff muscles (infraspinatus, supraspinatus, teres minor etc) as well as the Teres Major, Rear Delts and the Long Head of the Triceps. you can test this with the method i stated above, as you should feel a good contraction along the inside edge of the tricep when trying to contract the lats with elbows bent. The lats also assist the rotator cuff and rear delts in external rotation of the shoulder joint.

One of the main reasons people get shoulder injuries from bench is excessive internal rotation, caused by flaring elbows. By utilising the lats for a strong contraction, the elbow is being pulled towards the body, whilst the shoulder is being externally rotated. This negates flaring and allows optimal upwards force. That as well as reducing the energy used by the actual pushing muscles.

Bonus pro tip: the more weight you use, the stronger the lat contraction will be!

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post

Elbow flare is ENTIRELY about bar path. When you learn to control the bar the elbow flare will come naturally, because your elbows will follow the bar.
    I agree. Although loose shoulders is a common issue, I don't think it's the one behind flared elbows. I've never had a problem keeping my shoulders retracted, but I absolutely have a very difficult time keeping my elbows tucked, and a lower bar path has helped me a lot.

I think of the bar path being a "J" or fishhook path more than diagonal, but same idea I guess.

JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post

Elbow flare is ENTIRELY about bar path. When you learn to control the bar the elbow flare will come naturally, because your elbows will follow the bar. Grip width could be a limiting factor on how far you can tuck IF you have a very wide grip, which isn't a good choice to begin with. Since your elbows will always naturally be under your wrists, then as you lower the bar down lower on your chest/sternum your elbows will naturally tuck to follow your wrists. It is quite simple actually. If your elbows aren't following the bar then you are forcing something you shouldn't.

People that are having a hard time tucking elbows are using a high bar path...this is very common when pushing up. See the below video. Reps 1 and 2 are done with a proper diagonal bar path, while reps 3 and 4 are done using a incorrect bar path. Notice how the elbows flare during reps 3 and 4 when the bar moves over the upper chest.

More good reading about bench press here...lot of info to absorb. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ch+Form+Thread

Edit: Is flaring bad for your shoulders... in short yes. I remember reading some stuff posted in PL about how it impinges on the RC muscles and with prolonged aggravation will eventually saw them in half. It wasn't a peer reviewed article or anything, but it looked fairly credible.

Cliff-Occasional flaring is nothing to be concerned with. Chronic/Habitual flaring is asking for problems.
    This. This. This.

I started getting a nagging shoulder from elbows flared. I tweaked my grip (too wide) and realized bar path was fubar. Problem solved. No nagging shoulder. And honestly feel like weights are easier.

Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yep, check your bar path. It sounds like you are lowering your bar somewhere above your lower chest, and this will force your elbows to flare.