shredlegend88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Big, but not Strong - Any Tips?

Sup BB forum, first time poster here.

I have some concerns on my strength (or lack thereof). I have been working out for about 2 years and I feel as though I am not as strong as I should be for my size. I dropped some weight, from 313 to 230 over the course of about 1 year or so, and I am currently following a training program that I really like (Mike Matthews - BLS) which focuses on a single muscle group per day, for low reps and heavy ass weight, haha.

Although this has been the only program that I have enjoyed and actually seen strength gains from, I feel as though my strength is lagging. At about 17-19% body fat, I still have some poundage to get rid of, I am shooting for 220 lbs (maybe 215 if I am not satisfied), so currently, my main focus is consistent and maintainable fat loss. I understand this goal doesn't go well with wanting to gain strength and all, but there has to be something I am missing.

Here are my one rep maxes on all of the exercises I do. Many of these are calculated weights based on my workout weights which are 85% of my 1 rep maxes.

6'1
    230 Lbs
    Train 5x per week with 3-4 30 minute HIIT sessions

Incline BB Bench 195
    Incline DB Bench 80
    Flat BB Bench 205
    Deadlift 275
    Barbell Row 170
    Lat Pulldowns 190
    DB Rows 105
    Seated Mil. Press 140
    Side Lat DB Raise 40 (Recently dropped weight to maintain form and avoid momentum reps)
    Rear DB Raise 25 (Recently dropped weight to maintain form and avoid momentum reps)
    Front DB Raise 35 (Recently dropped weight to maintain form and avoid momentum reps)
    Str8 BB Curl 115
    Close Grip Bench 200
    Hammer DB Curl 60
    Alt DB Curl 60 (Probably could do 70, but I dropped it down to maintain good form)
    DB Overhead Tri Press 75
    skull crusher 105
    Squat 200 (Below Parellel)
    BB Lunge 135 (Haven't really maxed this out, so this is a guess)
    Romanian Deadlift 275
    Calf Raise 585 (On leg press machine, upward press)

My arms aren't very tone, but you can see some definition, about 17 inches flexed.
    I can start to feel veins under the skin with my hand. My calves are very solid but not veiny and are vampiracly pale.
    Back definition is starting to come in as well.
    Forearm veins are becoming visible, but aren't popping out unless I got a pump going.

Alot of the definition I think will come in as the weight drops, though, so I'm not super worried about that. It's just slow going the less I weigh.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

I have included my workouts as attachments.
    Here's how you read them.

4-6 @ 185(70)
    This is 4-6 reps at 185 pounds which is 70 pounds on each side.

When I can do 3 sets of 6 reps for two weeks reliably and with good form, I go up in weight (5 pounds for dumbbell, or 10 pounds for barbell)

Edit - Added self pic
    Attached Images
    Last edited by shredlegend88; 11-17-2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Added self pic

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You've simply overestimated your muscle mass. Loss enough fat so that you start seeing abs and vascularity and you'll realize how easy it is for fat over muscle to make you look like you carry more muscle than you really do.

Tune under iron is all you need. If you're not getting stronger over the years, then your diet or program needs fixing.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

shredlegend88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sharpieblet View Post
    You've simply overestimated your muscle mass. Loss enough fat so that you start seeing abs and vascularity and you'll realize how easy it is for fat over muscle to make you look like you carry more muscle than you really do.

Tune under iron is all you need. If you're not getting stronger over the years, then your diet or program needs fixing.
    I had a test done with a bunch of measurements the other day and my muscle mass was estimated to be nearly 193 lbs.
    Last edited by shredlegend88; 11-17-2014 at 07:36 AM.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by shredlegend88 View Post
    I had a test done with a bunch of measurements the other day and my muscle mass was estimated to be nearly 193 lbs.
    Unless it was a water submersion test or a dexa scan then the results were kind of a joke bud. Most methods of bf% calculation are just a means of measuring progress and the actual numbers are nearly worthless otherwise...aka if your bf% is reducing over time then you can see progress through the test, but they are a highly inaccurate means of calculating lean body mass or bf%.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but when you lose another 30-40lbs you'll be a lot closer to 10-12% where most people want to be...at that point you can attempt a bulk and actually put on some much needed muscle and therefore strength as well.

Edit: Holy sh*t you have a lot of upper body work compared to lower body. You may want to spend some time in the workout program section and find a better balanced program. Just that alone tells me the whole thing probably isn't balanced well. (It isn't after looking closer.)
    Experience, not just theory

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    Unless it was a water submersion test or a dexa scan then the results were kind of a joke bud. Most methods of bf% calculation are just a means of measuring progress and the actual numbers are nearly worthless otherwise...aka if your bf% is reducing over time then you can see progress through the test, but they are a highly inaccurate means of calculating lean body mass or bf%.
    I vouch for this OP. Almost everyone on forum will agree.

I also agree with Sharp's first post. Human nature is to vastly overestimate how much muscle we carry. Only once we get lean enough to have chiseled abs is when we see how much muscle we truly have.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by shredlegend88 View Post
    That would put you around 18%...you need to cut some weight brah. bulking over 15% is just asking for more fat than muscle.

BF calculators are great to judge progress on, but I would never take them as absolute truth.
    OG