jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Rep range question

I am following my own program in my home gym with mostly free weights an a pulley stack in a squat rack.
    I do not have the equipment to change the weight inside a set.
    I currenly set the weights at one weight setting for example for curls with dumbbells. So when I start, I do 12 reps (the weight is heavy enough that the 12th rep is either a fail or very difficult), then I rest about a minute and then I do 10 reps (at the 10th rep I fail as I am not as fresh as with the 12 reps, but the weight is the same), then I rest a minute, do 8 reps and lastly 6 reps. So I do with the same dumbbell set 12/10/8/6 reps. 1 minute between each rep range. This I call a set for curls. Then I do another excercise for example pullovers, also 12/10/8/6, but at a heavier weight.
    Every few weeks I will for about two weeks, break my cycle by lowering the weights, but up the reps to a set of 10/10/10/10/10. The rest is about 30 seconds in between.
    I am still making good gains this way but am I doing it right? There are hundreds of videos on youtube about reps and weight and all of them says different.
    I want to make the maximum gain possible.

The term reps, is it the 12 or 8 in the set of 12/10/8/6, or is it the set as a whole (12 + 10 + 8 + 6 = 36)?

Which will be better for gains for a specific weight, 12/10/8/6 or 10/10/10/10/10?

The only exceptions are my leg excercises, as I am handicapped due to surgery. I progress slowly on my legs, but I do progress. I was informed I will never be able to squat ever, but I can already squat with 40kg and still progressing. Unweighted lunges however causes severe pain, but I am still doing them.
    Regards

Johan

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    JOHAN: you should get STRONGER with each set! If you cannot do the same number, or more, of reps, WITH THE SAME WEIGHT, in subsequent sets, this is what it means:

THE INITIAL SET IS TOO MUCH WEIGHT FOR YOU!

the solution, of course, is progression, of which you say is not possible with your set up.....

a suggestion with Dumbbells: I have the power Block set that instantly adjusts to different weights, and it is so easy to change the weights. This way , you could start lighter and work your way up.
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You need to progress over workouts to grow. Can use the double progression method. In your case if your goal is 4 sets of 12, start with a weight and remain at that weight until you can get 12 reps in all sets. In this case it sounds like you are a little heavy to start with. Lower the weight where you can do something like 12/12/10/9 or similar and try to add one rep each work out. Rest a little longer if needed to get the reps. Once you get all the reps add weight and repeat.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jcrous View Post
    I am following my own program in my home gym with mostly free weights an a pulley stack in a squat rack.
    I currenly set the weights at one weight setting for example for curls with dumbbells. So when I start, I do 12 reps (the weight is heavy enough that the 12th rep is either a fail or very difficult), then I rest about a minute and then I do 10 reps (at the 10th rep I fail as I am not as fresh as with the 12 reps, but the weight is the same), then I rest a minute, do 8 reps and lastly 6 reps. So I do with the same dumbbell set 12/10/8/6 reps. 1 minute between each rep range. This I call a set for curls. Then I do another excercise for example pullovers, also 12/10/8/6, but at a heavier weight.
    Every few weeks I will for about two weeks, break my cycle by lowering the weights, but up the reps to a set of 10/10/10/10/10. The rest is about 30 seconds in between.

I am still making good gains this way but am I doing it right? There are hundreds of videos on youtube about reps and weight and all of them says different.

The term reps, is it the 12 or 8 in the set of 12/10/8/6, or is it the set as a whole (12 + 10 + 8 + 6 = 36)?

Which will be better for gains for a specific weight, 12/10/8/6 or 10/10/10/10/10?

The only exceptions are my leg excercises, as I am handicapped due to surgery. I progress slowly on my legs, but I do progress. I was informed I will never be able to squat ever, but I can already squat with 40kg and still progressing. Unweighted lunges however causes severe pain, but I am still doing them.
    I would consider each series of reps a set, unless you are using set extenders like drop sets with no rest. I do not agree with the above that you should get "stronger" on each set, that makes no sense to me as fatigue sets in most will not get "stronger" many programs are based on increasing the weight when the rep range is met across the sets.

If you want the fastest results possible, you would likely be best served following a beginner type 5x5 program and running it as written, with the exception of the leg work and DeadLifts which you will need to work around with assistance of your medical professional. If it hurts I.e. Joint pain, you are either doing it wrong or you should find an alternative. Focusing on compound movements with a fast progression will build strength and size faster than a bunch of various isolation movements. If you want big arms, curls are not the answer as triceps are about 2/3 of arm size, so if you can press heavy for you weight, your triceps will grow.

As far as rep ranges different things work for different people, and all will work to some degree. You need to find what you respond best to. Low reps, high reps, moderate reps etc. the pyramid sets will ensure you hit various rep ranges and I use that type of programming for some things and enjoy training that way, but it does reduce maximum weight moved for me. Fatigue will set in during the higher rep sets and reduce the weight I could otherwise handle on my low rep sets. However, I feel it helps keep the joints healthy by not just pounding away at a bunch of low rep sets.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am following my own program
    Just know you're setting yourself up for failure. Get adequate equipment, and find a proven program, designed by an expert, that's consistent with your goals and stick to it.

EDITED: Wait a second, explain your "inside a set" comment. You never change weights inside a set, that would make it a different set the way I use that term. You change weights between sets ( by definition ) not inside a set. Now I'm confused as to exactly what you're doing.

I currenly set the weights at one weight setting for example for curls with dumbbells. So when I start, I do 12 reps (the weight is heavy enough that the 12th rep is either a fail or very difficult), then I rest about a minute and then I do 10 reps (at the 10th rep I fail as I am not as fresh as with the 12 reps, but the weight is the same), then I rest a minute, do 8 reps and lastly 6 reps. So I do with the same dumbbell set 12/10/8/6 reps. 1 minute between each rep range.
    This just further supports my previous statement, there is no reason for me to comment further.

Good luck.

Oh wait a second, I couldn't help after reading that. You really need to make sure you re-read my first to sentences. The way your body makes gains is through progression. It sounds like you have no progression. Progression should be built into your program.

Good luck.
    Last edited by bigtallox; 11-14-2014 at 06:21 AM.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

derrickkendall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would never drop the weights one week to do 10/10/10. When you can do 12/12/12 add another rep to get to 13/13/13. Since you can't change the weight you should add extra reps to each set. Make sure you are eating slightly over maintenance.

I'm not exactly sure how much progress will be made though, since can't up the weights.

jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcrous will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think I did not explain correctly.

I was referring to videos I have seen where the guy bench press, say 40 kg:
    He did 10 reps at 40kg, then 8 reps at 45kg, then 6 reps at 50 kg.
    Going heavier, but at lower reps. I try to simulate it.

The blocks of my weight stack are 6.8kg each (15 pounds).
    At lower weights, the jumps are rather high. Too high.

I then go high at 12 reps, rest, can only make 10 reps the second round due to fatigue, but also go to failure, and so on. I do increase regularly.

I do not have a problem to go to 10/10/10/10 or 12/12/12/12. I will be able to do a lat pull of say 48 kg,
    But at 5/5/5/5, I may be able to master say 54 kg.

So what will be the best?
    12/12/12/12 at 48kg or 5/5/5/5 at 54kg.

I am going to make a bracket for my weight stack where loose plates can be added to fill the gap in between two block sizes.
    Regards

Johan

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think I did not explain correctly.

I was referring to videos I have seen where the guy bench press, say 40 kg:
    He did 10 reps at 40kg, then 8 reps at 45kg, then 6 reps at 50 kg.
    Going heavier, but at lower reps. I try to simulate it.

The blocks of my weight stack are 6.8kg each (15 pounds).
    At lower weights, the jumps are rather high. Too high.

I then go high at 12 reps, rest, can only make 10 reps the second round due to fatigue, but also go to failure, and so on. I do increase regularly.

I do not have a problem to go to 10/10/10/10 or 12/12/12/12. I will be able to do a lat pull of say 48 kg,
    But at 5/5/5/5, I may be able to master say 54 kg.

So what will be the best?
    12/12/12/12 at 48kg or 5/5/5/5 at 54kg.

I am going to make a bracket for my weight stack where loose plates can be added to fill the gap in between two block sizes.
    12 reps is the upper end of where I personally like to be. If it were me when I could reach 12 reps across, (maybe even 10) I would increase the weight and use the new weight until I could get 10 reps or so for your sets with the new weight. 15lbs will be a big jump when you start working near your limit on some things so looking into getting smaller increment add on plates that you can set on the stack would be a good idea.