spaceman1196 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What do dips leaning forward do?

Do chest dips make your chest leaner or does it bulk it up? My chest has some body fat in the lower area and I was wondering if chest dips would make them bigger or would they lean them out?

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    no exercise makes you leaner , caloric deficit does.

Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    chest dips when done properly will exercise the pectoral muscles and secondarily the triceps and front deltoids
    the pump is the cure
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Originally Posted by magician27 View Post
    no exercise makes you leaner , caloric deficit does.
    Ok but do dips make your chest pop out?

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by spaceman1196 View Post
    Ok but do dips make your chest pop out?
    yes , dips , bench press, flys , all these build your chest and make them pop out. but doing dips wont remove fat from your chest

Originally Posted by magician27 View Post
    yes , dips , bench press, flys , all these build your chest and make them pop out. but doing dips wont remove fat from your chest
    I have one more question sorry haha I'm new to this and I want to do this right. Do chest flyes, dips, and dumbbell chest press make your chest wider?

hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Smile

I have one more question sorry haha I'm new to this and I want to do this right. Do chest flyes, dips, and dumbbell chest press make your chest wider?
    Yeah they'll make it wider and bulkier over time. Don't bother with flys if your a beginner, you'll get better results sticking to dips and heavy presses. Flys are more for advanced bodybuilders who are trying to perfect there physique. You just need to worry about adding size first.

met-enkephalinaholic Pridehurtsform's Avatar
    Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do chest dips make your chest leaner or does it bulk it up? My chest has some body fat in the lower area and I was wondering if chest dips would make them bigger or would they lean them out?
    first of all you're operating under a previously debunked phenomena called "spot reduction." bodybuilders used to believe that the area you target was subject to increased caloric expenditure. in other words if you targeted a specific muscle, lets say your chest, that you would not only add muscle there, you'd also remove fat. this is not the way fat burning works.

if you're worried about adding too much "mass" that is to say bulky muscle and muscle glycogen, then you could stimulate more of your type 1 fibers, as opposed to your type 2a. the effect would be a leaner muscle. to accomplish this you'd increase your rep range. 15-20 would be a good place to start.

also leaning forward puts additional pressure on your chest, if your goal is to minimize your chest involvement attempt to do the exercise in more upright position. this will target your tris and delts more.
    BS in molecular biochemistry
    NASM certified personal trainer
    bench: 315
    squat: 365
    deads: 415
    video thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162544341&p=1258712431#post1258712431

"it's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

yea gets wider and bigger, but with TIME . give it few years , not couple months

Eugenefd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    They make your chest bigger, yes. But as someone else said, it takes time so be patient. Chest muscles are one of the harder ones to grow in. This is why a lot of men now get "breast" implants. lol

taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Pridehurtsform View Post
    the effect would be a leaner muscle.
    I disagree with this statement, although I thought overall it was a good post. Muscle is "lean" whereas fat is not. Saying you want "leaner" muscle IMO is like saying you want "wetter" water. Water is wet, muscle is lean, and neither is going to be wetter or leaner because "lean" in bbing context(s) means a lack of fat. The two are totally different tissues.

I think what he meant to say is that stimulating the fibers that are exhausted in higher rep ranges is less likely to lead to hypertrophy. In other words, doing high reps will be less likely to lead to larger pecs.

I apologize for being so literal, but I wanted to make this distinction.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by taxgeek View Post
    I disagree with this statement, although I thought overall it was a good post. Muscle is "lean" whereas fat is not. Saying you want "leaner" muscle IMO is like saying you want "wetter" water. Water is wet, muscle is lean, and neither is going to be wetter or leaner because "lean" in bbing context(s) means a lack of fat. The two are totally different tissues.

I think what he meant to say is that stimulating the fibers that are exhausted in higher rep ranges is less likely to lead to hypertrophy. In other words, doing high reps will be less likely to lead to larger pecs.

I apologize for being so literal, but I wanted to make this distinction.
    the sentence before the one you quoted he was talking about specific muscle fibers and he did say higher reps would lead to less hypertrophy...
    OG

taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, yes he did. Normally I don't speak for people, but I thought I could here because we could be reasonably certain of what he meant.

But just to be crystal clear: when we're talking fitness, "lean" means a lack of fat. Furthermore, "lean" is a property of muscle (because it's an entirely different tissue from fat...kinda like how your hair is "lean" because it isn't bodyfat) just like "wet" is a property of water. We may want leaner bodies, but that just means we want more muscle and/or less fat. Saying you want leaner muscles is misleading and improper because even a sumo wrestler has perfectly lean muscles.

But aside from that literal overreach, his point is well taken

met-enkephalinaholic Pridehurtsform's Avatar
    Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by taxgeek View Post
    Yes, yes he did. Normally I don't speak for people, but I thought I could here because we could be reasonably certain of what he meant.

But just to be crystal clear: when we're talking fitness, "lean" means a lack of fat. Furthermore, "lean" is a property of muscle (because it's an entirely different tissue from fat...kinda like how your hair is "lean" because it isn't bodyfat) just like "wet" is a property of water. We may want leaner bodies, but that just means we want more muscle and/or less fat. Saying you want leaner muscles is misleading and improper because even a sumo wrestler has perfectly lean muscles.

But aside from that literal overreach, his point is well taken
    you're right. and I used a poor term if one wants to argue semantics.

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    the sentence before the one you quoted he was talking about specific muscle fibers and he did say higher reps would lead to less hypertrophy...
    at the risk of overcomplicating a fairly simple concept allow me to explain.

first of allow you have to understand that aerobic exercise is ~ 15 times more energy efficient than anaerobic. muscle size is a product of muscle and muscle glycogen (potential energy).

now the major difference between type 1 and type 2 muscle fibers is their ability to use oxygen. type 1 fibers are full of mitochondria (and as a result more myoglobin giving it it's characteristic red appearance) type 2 are not. the reason is that mitochondria are required for aerobic activity. as a result type 1 fibers are roughly 15 times more energy efficient than type 2 fibers (2a and 2b are different also but i'm simplifying here). so what does this mean?

it means that there is considerably more muscle glycogen associated with type 2 fibers (to compensate for the reduction in atp generation) compared to type 1 fibers. as I mentioned earlier muscle size is a product of both the muscle and the muscle glycogen. my point therefore is that muscles that are stimulated in higher rep ranges, (ones that have adapted to prolonged activity and have adapted with increased mitochondria in order to facilitate aerobic activity), are "leaner" due to the decrease in muscle glycogen associated with them.

just compare a long distance runner's legs and a sprinters. long distance (type 1 fibers) are considerably smaller than sprinters (type 2a and 2b) largely because of this discrepancy in muscle glycogen.

edit: and just for the record I never said anything about hypertrophy. I was specifically referring to the amount of muscle glycogen.
    Last edited by Pridehurtsform; 11-09-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    BS in molecular biochemistry
    NASM certified personal trainer
    bench: 315
    squat: 365
    deads: 415
    video thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162544341&p=1258712431#post1258712431

"it's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You can't spot target body fat. Fat is not muscle; you can't contract it or make it work. The right routine and strict caloric restriction will burn fat. Depending on your genetics, you might start losing fat in certain body areas first. Usually belly fat is last to go.

Leaning forward dips will engage chest muscles more; vertical dips will work triceps more. Both kinds will give a good measure of work for upper body muscles regardless of the angle variation.
    Harmonia Early Music: http://www.harmoniaearlymusic.org
    SymphonyCast: http://symphonycast.org
    Performance Today: http://performancetoday.publicradio.org
    Studio360: http://www.studio360.org
    RadioLab: http://www.radiolab.org
    TED Radio Hour: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/
    This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org
    On Being: http://www.onbeing.org
    Snap Judgment: http://www.snapjudgment.org/radio-show
    Radio IQ: http://wvtf.org
    LibriVox: https://librivox.org/