Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Traveling multiple paths simultaneously leading to the same destination

Took me awhile to think of a creative log title haha

Anyway so this is my first personal log. Had many inquiries if I had my own log but never created my own due to the fact that I work out at home with limited equipment, compared to everyone else that works out in gyms. I was a bit embarrassed by that so it was the main reason why I never started one. So why did I create one then? What made me decide to finally create one? I have no idea, but I think the answer is somewhere along the lines of wanting to get faster than my current, and first, NYC Marathon finishing time.

I guess this OP wouldn't be complete without an "about me" right, being that it's my first ever personal log? lol

About Me

Some picture progression first:

March 2013 @ ~240lbs

August 2013 @ ~198lbs

April 2014 @ ~185-189lbs for some Nut Misc Contest

September 2014 @ ~189lbs

All of 2013 was basically on a cut with some intermittent reverse dieting and then back to the cut.

I wanted to see how high of a caloric intake I needed to start gaining roughly 1lb/week to gain back some mass that I feel I had lost during the cut so in February 2014 I steadily increased 100 calories every two weeks starting from 2200 and went as high as 3700 late August but decided to stay at 3400 since then.

Part of the reason to stay at 3400 was the NYC Marathon was around the corner and having the extra weight means a slower pace lol

Another reason is that based off the last picture, you can tell that I gain fat mass very easily (could also be the lighting? haha) and part of the reason for that is probably due to the poverty home gym that I have at home which limits how heavy I can go on the compound lifts, or "compound lifts". With that said, I suppose that’ll serve as a segue to the next section…
    100% 中國人

dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dailob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Equipment

Prior to December 2013, I had the classic Powerblocks that you see on the floor that only went up to 50lbs. Around Black Friday, there was an awesome deal for the Powerblock Classic Elite 90s with stand, coupled with opening a new Chase Freedom credit card with an incentive and it was crazy to not combine the two. I think in the end, I ended up out of pocket, paying only $400 with no tax and free shipping!

This Powerline FID125X was something that I had bought years ago when I first bought my Classic 50 Powerblocks. It's still being used to this day but I recently acquired an Ironmaster Superbench with the Dip, Ab and Pull Up attachments off craigslist.

At the beginning of the year, this is what I had for pull-ups and dips, a Bowflex Body Tower - but I recently sold it off craigslist and it wasn’t too long after that I was able to replace the lack of Dips/PU with the Superbench using the Dip/PU attachments.

I bought the Bodylastics Super Human Strength resistance bands because I felt I needed some some sort of cable like system for things like pull-downs or cable rows. Using the stock photo because the bag itself doesn’t say, “SHS” on there lol and it at least gives you an idea of how much resistance is available.

I had to improvise using the Bodylastics of the said exercises above – what I would do is sit at the base of the Bowflex unit, wrap the cable around one of the upright legs and that was how I did my cable rows. For Pull-downs I used the center of the Bowflex PU bar and proceeded from there.

Lastly, I don’t just lift weights at home but I run approximately 35 miles a week. Why do both? Why not just lift weights and then do HIIT instead of MISS/LISS?

Well ever since my wife introduced/signed me up for a mud run (Rugged Maniac 5K in 2012), I’ve been hooked. I used some random stop watch to keep track of my run times for a sponsored log that I’ve done but the idea of having a GPS watch was very enticing and in December 2013, there was a deal that was just too good I couldn’t pass up and for $200 I bought one of these…

I'm limited to the ceiling height which is why I dont have a Power Rack yet, and I didnt want to pay for a gym membership because to me, the money being put towards a gym membership could be put towards home gym equipment.

At the time that I bought my original Powerblocks and Powerline bench, I would have saved $300 after 6 months compared to going to the gym at that time (Gym memberships were $50 a month). I was just out of college, unmarried, and working in retail so paying $50 a month was not justifiable. This was before Planet Fitness, Retro Fitness, Blink, etc all have gym memberships for $20 + whatever fees they have associated with it.

So what you see above and some running shoes are pretty much all that I have used to achieve all that I have achieved up to this point physique wise.

I suppose I could go into programs that I've done as to further make this personal log that much more personal and to shed some light on what I've done for lurkers and those who may know me for some time or just met. Will probably get to that some other time, or over the weekend lol
    Last edited by dailob; 11-07-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    100% 中國人

Program History
    When I first started my transformation with the limited equipment above before acquiring the Elite 90s Powerblocks I pretty much started the following Beach Body programs in this order:

As I became more active on this forum, with my limited equipment I gave this program a try:

And after much research and looking around the forums, starting off my reverse dieting and acquiring the resistance bands I decided to give Layne Norton’s P.H.A.T. program a try and have been on it every since.

The reason why I enjoy and have been on PHAT is because it’s a combination of high rep/high volume days with lower reps/lower volume. I’ve considered changing programs but with my limited equipment as of this moment, it’s perfect – to a degree.

What I mean is I had to substitute a lot of exercises in place of others like the Squat for Bulgarian Split Squats and Leg Extensions for Single Leg Wall Squats, etc. In my opinion, the substitutions work well but obviously it’s not the same as the original exercises.

Cardio

To take the most advantage of my time, I usually do cardio runs during my lunch break and I run on the Brooklyn Bridge. Here is the view from the Men’s bathroom on my floor.

image.jpg

As you can see, on the right is the Brooklyn Bridge and on the left is the Manhattan Bridge. I frequent the BK bridge more since I'm practically next to it.

I don’t follow a program. I generally just talk about general running stuff over in this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=151114923

What I have been doing as of this post is:
    • Hill Repeats x10 on the bridge
    • 2 sets of the Brooklyn Bridge runs twice a week
    • Longer endurance runs of around 15 plus miles on Saturday when possible

All of that equates to about roughly 30+ miles weekly average. I use Garmin connect to record my runs - if you want to find me there it's "dailob"

I run this much because of 2 reasons:

I enjoy doing obstacle course races. So far I've done 1 Rugged Maniac 5k, 2 Tough Mudders, and 3 Spartans as you can see above.

While training for future obstacle course races last year, I saw many people around the city walking with their NYC Marathon medals and I got jealous so I told myself that I am going to train for the 2014 NYC Marathon, which is what you see above that I just completed.
    Last edited by dailob; 11-12-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    100% 中國人

Present Goals
    When it comes to the lifting aspect of it, I don’t have any numbers to give you since I don’t have access to anything that I can test my maxes on for Bench, Squat and Deadlift. For what it’s worth I suppose I’ll post my high school numbers here when I was playing High School football since maxes were used as a measure stick of how serious you were in the weight room - as a 3rd year 210lbs High School football player, my numbers are as follows:
    • Bench: 345
    • Squat: 495
    • Deadlift: don’t remember but it wasn’t very good because my grip was horrible.

I guess that is going to be my goal once I can obtain the right equipment.

As far as my goal for Cardio, my first Marathon will be the basis for what I want to achieve this time next year:

Originally with my first Marathon, I had wanted to do it under 4 hours since it was a guesstimated time. I had just missed it by 5 minutes but I suppose if I was any faster, my wife would not have gotten any pictures lol

I have confidence that I can get a sub 4-hour marathon but I want to achieve a 3.5 hour Marathon time. An experienced coach or someone who’s a runner will probably comment that I started out too fast and I suffered, or hit “the wall” as they call it on my 24th mile but as much as it’s probably true, I do not believe so. I firmly believe I can keep a 8:30 a mile pace or faster but I was foolish in terms of hydration – going to be TLDR if I explained it but I know better for next year.

Calorie Intake
    I’m going to be hovering around the 3400 intake mark. I want to see how much recompositioning I can do as I believe that is just a little over maintenance calories. Will be using MyFitnessPal the entire time and if you want to friend me you can: “teenhamodic” is my username if you want to look me up.

Regarding food, I’m very boring. I don’t mind eating the same foods over and over again. It keeps things in check and the less variety the less chance of deviating from the target goal.

I’m a flexible diet kind of guy so you’ll see things that I have in the pantry that I need to eat based on accumulation from dieting down all last year as well as the recent surge of coupon usage in our home lol

Also, I train fasted in the morning with the weights. But I do have a protein shake after my workout, not because I believe in broscience but because it's a habit and it's one less thing to consume later on in the day.

I also dont "eat" anything until after my cardio runs in the afternoon because it just doesnt sit well in my stomach when I run.

Believe me, I have tried working out with food in my stomach a few hours beforehand or even quest bar before cardio, but anecdotally training "fasted" works so much better for me.

General Outline
    As of today here is what my weekly schedule looks like

Sunday: Lower Power Day // Ab work
    Monday: Upper Power Day // Hill repeats
    Tueday: Brooklyn Bridge run // Ab work
    Wednesday: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day // Brooklyn Bridge run
    Thursday: ** Lower Hypertrophy Day **
    Friday: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day // Ab Work
    Saturday: Long Endurance run

** As of the past couple of months, more like half the year, once my weekly mileage increased, the Lower Hypertrophy Days were cut out since my legs do need to rest in order for the Long Endurance runs to happen.

With all of the above said… I think I'm done with the introductory stuff and it’s time to start the actual logging lol
    Last edited by dailob; 11-13-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    100% 中國人

DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    AMAZING transformation man.

Also, I have a friend who does the Goruck challanges and the Spartan races. You guys are crazy.
    SF Bay Area Crew
    Game Developer Crew
    Nut Misc Crew
    Actually Enjoys Clubbing Crew

Play MY MMORPG: Marvel Heroes. http://www.marvelheroes.com/

IG: DAaaMan64

"Stronger than yesterday, now it's nothing but my way. My loneliness ain't killing me no more. I, I'm stronger" ~ Mark Rippetoe

This week has been a bit of a deload and or rest week so there isn't going to be any updates regarding the lifting.

However, slowly going to get back to the normal mileage after the marathon.

What's not recorded is some BBQ sauce on the pork shoulder.

Originally Posted by DAaaMan64 View Post
    AMAZING transformation man.

Also, I have a friend who does the Goruck challanges and the Spartan races. You guys are crazy.
    haha you found my log... welcome!

you should try an obstacle course one of these days! lol
    Last edited by dailob; 11-13-2014 at 12:04 PM.
    100% 中國人

Saturday 11/15

Attachment 7405771

splits 8 and 9 were way slower because i began feeling some numbing pain in my left knee so i had to stop for a little bit - which when i started again, i wanted to go at a slower pace.

Monday 11/17

Exercise / Weight / Reps / Sets
    Dumbbell Bench
    90x5x3

One Arm DB Row
    80x5x3

Seated DB Press
    65x9x3

Pull-Ups
    Bodyweight x 40 x many sets to get to 40 lol

Dips
    Bodyweight x 6 x2 (5-count negatives)

Seated DB Bicep Curls
    45x7x3

DB Skullcrushers
    55x7x3

As for my cardio, because of the pain in my left knee, which still hurts even when i jog, i'm going to be taking a planned break from running - however, going to be doing the stairs in my work building which is 21 flights up in a cube-like pattern (see below), unlike what you normally see/picture.

Originally Posted by dailob View Post

As you can see, it's about of February 2014, the fastest that I've ever climbed these 21 flights of stairs for 6 times is 4:22 so it should be interesting to see how things have changed since I stopped doing the stairs mid-Feb and started to run outside.

Originally it was supposed to be today but I took off from work today to go see the doc so will be aiming for 4:22 tomorrow... though I should be resting it haha
    100% 中國人

Tuesday 11/18

Average pace: 4:28

Wednesday 11/19

Superset x3: DB Shoulder Press // Pull ups x10
    50x12 // Bodyweight x 10 (last set took an additional 2 sets to get to 10)

Tri-set x3: 2-Arm DB Row // DB Lateral Raises // 2-Arm DB Row
    50x3 // 20x18 // 50x3

Seated Resistance Bands Pause Row
    53x10 x2

DB Upright Row
    40x15 x2

One Arm DB row
    50x15 x2

Assisted Pull-ups x2
    Bodyweight x20

Average pace: 4:24

Decided to go with averages of the 6 climbs as opposed to the fastest time for one ascension.

As expected, the first time back doing the stair climb as you can see from yesterday's session was generally the same if not slightly slower average wise. Today's stair climb session was slightly better but only by a slim margin.

Originally Posted by InItForFitness View Post

UPDATE

Also did a little tension work with the joint, walked around with some dumbbells, loaded some barbell weight and simply held it, just to see how the joint would respond and if there was still any noticible pain in the area.
    There was no pain/strain to the joint with any of the tests, so I'm thinking it was simply just a pinch or something after sleeping weird that night.

Will attempt to resume normal training schedule tomorrow, but no more 4 days in a row.
    Going to stick with Days 1+2 / Rest / Days 3+4 / Rest / Repeat...also will likely discontinue scheduled additional days, and simply do lighter work throughout the week as I see fit.

One of the hardest things for me to do is to not exercise... I feel like i'm losing them gains or something haha I definitely understand that growth happens when you're not working out but putting it into practice is the most difficult part
    Last edited by dailob; 11-20-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    100% 中國人

Friday 11/21

DB Bench Press
    75x3x6

Superset x3: DB Incline Flyes // DB Curls
    65x9 // 45x9

Superset x2: Bodyweight Dips // 1 Arm DB Concentration Curls
    x15 // 40x15, +extra set of BW Dips

DB Incline Flyes
    35x18x3

Superset x2: Chest on Incline DB Curls // 1 Arm Tricep Kickbacks
    30x20 // 30x20

DB Skullcrushers
    50x9x3

Probably going to take it easy this weekend and hold off on doing any more cardio-like activity to give me knee a break. Hopefully I can run within a month or so?

Signed up for a Spartan Beast in April
    100% 中國人

Sunday 11/23

Squats
    280x4x3

Front Squats
    140x6x3 (I think it was 6 reps? can't remember for some reason -_-")

DB Bulgarian Split Squats
    70x6x2

DB Stiff Legged Deadlift
    90x8x3

Monday 11/24

Bench Press
    210x3x3

Neutral Grip Pull-Ups (40 total)
    Bodyweight x10, x8, x2, x7, x7, x6

Dips
    Bodyweight x15x2

Over-Head Press
    140x4, 140x3x2

Seated DB Bicep Curls
    45x7x3

DB Skullcrushers
    60x7x3

DB Single-Arm Rows
    80x5x3

average pace: 4:19

Pretty surprising actually since my hamstrings were a bit sore from squatting yesterday...
    Last edited by dailob; 11-25-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    100% 中國人

Wednesday 11/26

Barbell Overhead Press
    100x12x2, 100x10

Neutral Grip Pull-Ups (30 total)
    Bodyweight x10, x6, x4, x6, x4

Assisted Pull-ups (Bodyweight on bench)
    20x2

Cabinet Pull-ups (40 total)
    Bodyweight x10x4

Tri-set x3: DB 2-Arm Rows // DB Side Lateral Raises // DB 2-Hand Rows
    50x3, 20x18, 50x3

DB Upright Rows
    40x15x2

DB Single-Arm Rows
    50x15x2

Haven't figured out how to add in Resistance Band Cable Rows yet... anyway the reason why you see so many pull ups is because I didnt like the assisted pull-ups since i didnt feel like it worked anything. Cabinet Pull-ups are something I thought of on a whim to help substitute the lack of a pull-up capability when I sold my Bowflex Power Tower. The resistance that you get from dragging up the side cabinet is annoying but beneficial I suppose lol

average pace: 4:12

interesting... I'm shocked myself lol
    Last edited by dailob; 11-26-2014 at 09:48 PM.
    100% 中國人

Not that I haven't been training or anything but rather with all the black friday/cyber monday deals going on, i was putting my focus on that rather than updating this log lol Anyway here are the entries

Friday 11/28

Bench Press
    190x3x6

Incline Bench Press
    140x12x2, 140x9

DB Curls
    45x9

Dips
    Bodyweight x15x3

1 Arm DB Concentration Curls
    40x15x2

DB Incline Flyes
    35x18x3

Superset x2: Chest on Incline DB Curls // 1 Arm Tricep Kickbacks
    30x20 // 30x20

DB Skullcrushers
    50x9x2, 50x10

Not much different than the previous week but i'm fine with that with reasons to which i'll get into after an equipment update...

Equipment Update

If you haven't noticed already... i've been working with a barbell because I recently acquired a Rogue R3 (before black friday) from craigslist and I'm able to go heavy now and not be able to kill myself lol Anyway with the addition of this, I decided to look into other programs as I've been doing PHAT for awhile. I looked into Candito's program and Wendler's program decided that I wanted to keep the Hypertrophy days from PHAT with whatever program I decided to go with.

In the end, I decided to go with Wendler's 5/3/1 routine with the Hypertrophy days from PHAT, though i'll have to tweak the schedule maybe or at least see how the program feels after a couple of weeks or 2 cycles... A lot of the accessory work wont increase in weight, if any and reason being is because both Candito and Wendler pretty much emphasize that idea that it shouldn't tire or be detrimental to your main work.

These are my estimated maxes that i calculated according to Wendler's formula:
    • Overhead Press: 160
    • Bench Press: 230
    • Squat: 330
    • Deadlift: 250

These are my Wendler's Training Maxes that i'll be working with:
    • Overhead Press: 144
    • Bench Press: 207
    • Squat: 297
    • Deadlift: 225

So the planned program change for weight training will look like this:

Boring but Big 5/3/1 + First Set Last and Joker Sets + PHAT Hypertrophy

Sunday 11/30, Week 1 Cycle 1 - Squats
    Warm Up
    120x5, 150x5, 180x3

Working Sets
    195x5, 225x5, 255x6

Joker Sets
    None done

First Set Last - AMRAP
    195x11

Boring but Big sets at 35%
    90x10x5

Monday 12/1, Week 1 Cycle 1 - OHP
    Warm Up
    60x5, 75x5, 90x3

Working Sets
    95x5, 110x5, 125x6

Joker Sets
    None done

First Set Last - AMRAP
    95x14

45x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Neutral Grip Pull-Ups done after every set of the main sets except for the Warm-Up
    Bodyweight x5x9

Superset x3: DB Upright rows // Standing DB Curls
    30x10

DB Rear Delt Flyes:
    20x10x3

Resistance Bands Pull-Apart
    19x10, 23x10x2

Push-Ups
    15x3

Comments
    so far it's been ok in terms of volume work. At the moment, it doesnt seem like I can muster up enough strength to at least get 1 set down for the Joker set so hopefully in the future with this new change in my programming i'll be able to adapt and add in some Joker sets.
    100% 中國人

Again, not that I haven't been training or anything but my second child was born on Wednesday so life came first, no pun intended

Tuesday 12/2, Week 1 Cycle 1 - Cardio

Average Pace: 4:14

Thursday 12/4, Week 1 Cycle 1 - Deadlift
    Warm Up
    90x5, 115x5, 135x3

Working Sets
    150x5, 170x5, 195x7

Joker Sets
    None done

First Set Last - AMRAP
    150x12

70x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Dips done after every set of the main sets except for the Warm-Up
    Bodyweight x5x9

One Arm DB Row
    80x5x3
    50x15x2

Saturday 12/6, Week 1 Cycle 1 - Bench Press
    Warm Up
    85x5, 105x5, 125x3

Working Sets
    135x5, 160x5, 180x7

Joker Sets
    190x5, *195x5, 200x5, 205x3

First Set Last - AMRAP
    135x13

65x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Neutral Grip Pull-Ups done after every set of the main sets except for the Warm-Up
    Bodyweight x5x12

Incline Barbell Press
    140x9x3

Dips
    Bodyweight x15x2, x12x1

Incline DB Flyes
    35x18x1, 35x15x2

Standing DB Curls
    45x9x3

Chest on Incline DB Curls
    30x20x2

Single Arm DB Concentration Curls
    45x15x1

Comments
    The asterisk that you see is that life was calling and well, having a toddler and a newborn doesnt exactly mean a perfect schedule lol so i had like a 20 min break
    100% 中國人

Sunday 12/7, Week 2 Cycle 1 - Squats

Warm Up
    120x5, 150x5, 180x3

Working Sets
    210x3, 240x3, 270x5

Joker Sets
    290x3 (miscalculated weight on bar - was supposed to be 285), 295x3

First Set Last - AMRAP
    210x10

90x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Done after every set of the main sets except for the Warm-Up
    Hanging Leg Raises x10x5 (grip was lacking after so many pull-ups from the day before so switched to Decline Sit-ups)
    Decline Sit-ups x10x6

Front Squats
    140x10x3

Monday 12/8, Week 2 Cycle 1 - Overhead Press
    Warm Up
    60x5, 75x5, 90x3

Working Sets
    105x3, 120x3, 130x5

Joker Sets
    140x3, 145x3

First Set Last - AMRAP
    105x10

x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Decline Sit-ups done after every set of the main sets except for the Warm-Up
    Bodyweight x10x11

45 Front Plate Raises
    45x10x3

DB Lateral Raises
    20x15x3

One Arm Bent Over DB Rear Lateral Raises
    25x10x3

DB Upright Rows
    40x10x2

Comments
    Still trying to figure out accessory exercises and the number of sets but generally i think i have a good idea. Decided to add in some Joker Sets but only because it was 3 reps per set compared to 5 last week...

Also, now that i'm on Paternity Leave... gotta figure out how to incorporate some sorta cardio with my new schedule lol
    100% 中國人

Wednesday 12/10, Week 2 Cycle 1 - Deadlift
    Warm Up
    90x5, 115x5, 135x3

Working Sets
    160x3, 180x3, 205x7

Joker Sets
    225x3, 235x3, 245x3, 255x3PR, 265x3PR

First Set Last - AMRAP
    160x15

70x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Bodyweight x10x14

Resistance Band Full Range-Of-Motion Pulldown (see here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...n-lat-pulldown)
    23x10, 19x2x2

Resistance Band Straight Arm Pulldown
    19x10, 23x10, 30x10

Comments
    Once the chinning handle comes in, i'll be able to make the most use of the landmine attachment and able to add in some more accessory work. Thought about Pendlay Rows so will considering it next time. Also, PR'd twice since supposedly my calculated 1RM for deadlift was 250... so i guess we'll see about the future numbers once the 2nd cycle ends.

On another note...

Awesome
    100% 中國人

Thursday 12/11, Week 2 Cycle 1 - Cardio

Average Pace: 4:12

Friday 12/12, Week 2 Cycle 1 - Bench Press
    Warm Up
    (85x5, 105x5, 125x3) <== This was supposed to be the warm up... unfortunately, i was looking at the wrong column and did this week's Squat numbers instead (continued below)...
    120x5, 150x5, 180x3

Working Sets
    (145x3, 170x5, 190x3+) <== ... (continued from above) this was supposed to be the working sets... unfortunately, i was looking at the wrong column.
    210x3, 240x0 <== it wasn't until i started to put "240" on the bar when i realized that it was 15lbs over my supposed 1RM and then i realized my error. So after 210, I just did the last working set since the last 2 "warm up" numbers were only 5lbs heavier than what was supposed to be the working set numbers... therefore my top set is as follows:
    190x8

Joker Sets
    200x3, 205x3, 210x3(from above... does this count since i didnt do it again? lol), 215x3, 220x3, 225xx3Rep PR

First Set Last - AMRAP
    145x16

65x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Neutral Grip Pull-ups done after every set of the main sets except for the Warm-Up
    Bodyweight x5x16

Incline Barbell Press
    140x9x3

Dips
    Bodyweight x15x3

Resistance Band Pull-down
    30x10x3

DB Standing Bicep Curls
    45x9x3

DB Incline Flyes
    35x18x3

DB Concentration Curls
    40x15x2

Chest on Incline DB Curls
    30x20x2

Comments
    Gave blood yesterday and was worried that it may affect my workout... maybe it affected my thinking haha. This was a really long workout... i may consider putting all the bicep work with the OHP days. Other than that, can't believe I didnt realize I was looking at the wrong column. I do feel a bit of an endurance difference with the 1 Pint less of blood...
    Last edited by dailob; 12-12-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    100% 中國人

Saturday 12/13, Week 2 Cycle 1 - Cardio

Sunday 12/14, Week 3 Cycle 1 - Squat
    Warm Up
    120x5, 150x5, 180x3

Working Sets
    225x5, 255x3, 285x4

Joker Sets
    300x1, 315x1, 330x1, 345x1PR

First Set Last - AMRAP
    225x10

90x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Hanging Leg Raises done after every set of the main sets except for the Warm-Up
    10x13

60x7x2

Front Squats
    140x10x3

Monday 12/15, Week 3 Cycle 1 - Overhead Press
    Warm Up
    60x5, 75x5, 90x3

Working Sets
    110x5, 125x3, 140x1 *forgot to go max reps lol

Joker Sets
    145x1, 150x1, 155x1, 160x1, 165x1PR

First Set Last - AMRAP
    110x10

10x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Neutral Grip Pull-ups done after every set of the main sets except for the Warm-Up
    Bodyweight x5x14

Front 45lb Plate Raises
    10x3

DB Lateral Raises
    30x15x3

DB Upright Rows
    40x15x2

DB Single-Arm Rows
    50x20x2

DB Single-Arm Reverse Delt Flyes
    30x10, 25x10, 20x10

Comments
    It was nice running again on saturday but both knees started to hurt which is a bit disappointing... which slowed me down on the last mile... I decided to increase my fish oil intake by a gram so we'll see how it goes. It wont take affect overnight obviously but hopefully my run tomorrow will be better regarding the pain in my knees. Doubt it tho
    100% 中國人

Tuesday 12/16, Week 3 Cycle 1 - Cardio

Wednesday 12/17, Week 3 Cycle 1 - Deadlift
    Warm Up
    90x5, 115x5, 135x3

Working Sets
    170x5, 195x3, 215x6

Joker Sets
    225x1, 235x1, 245x1, 255x1PR #1, 265x1PR #2, 275x1PR #3

First Set Last - AMRAP
    170x12

70x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Bodyweight 10x15

Chinning Triangle Resistance Band Pull-Down Super-Setted with Resistance Band Full Range-Of-Motion Pulldown
    53x10x3, 19x10x3

Chinning Triangle T-Bar Rows
    90x10x3

Thursday 12/18, Week 3 Cycle 1 - Cardio

Friday 12/19, Week 3 Cycle 1 - Bench Press
    Warm Up
    85x5, 105x5, 125x3

Working Sets
    160x5, 180x3, 200x5

Joker Sets
    210x1, 230x1, 240x1PR #11, 250x1PR #2

First Set Last - AMRAP
    160x12

70x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Bodyweight x5x14

Barbell Incline Press
    140x10x3

Dips
    Bodyweight x15x3

Barbell Curls
    100x6, 90x9x2

45lb Plate Hammer Curls
    x20x2

Comments
    Max Bench Press at 250 wasn't full range of motion but I'll take it - wanted 260 but at 250 I knew it was it.

Recently bought an accessory:

Using it for T-bar rows and other things that I can think of...

Aside from that, was a good 3rd week of the cycle that I guess I found out my real maxes as opposed to calculating them through the formula...

Knees dont hurt after increasing intake to 3 pills of fish oil (3g)
    100% 中國人

Saturday 12/20, Week 3 Cycle 1 - Cardio

Sunday 12/21, Week 4 Cycle 1 - Deload, Squat

Deloading Sets
    120x5, 150x5, 180x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Hanging Leg raises done after every set of the Deloading sets and Front Squats
    Bodyweight 10x6

Front Squats
    140x10x3

60x7x3

Alternating 10 second Single Leg Wall Squats
    Bodyweight 2:00 total (1 min per leg)

DB Straight Leg Deadlifts
    80x8x3

Monday 12/22, Week 4 Cycle 1 - Deload, Overhead Press

Deloading Sets
    60x5, 75x5, 90x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Neutral Grip Pull-Ups done after every set of the Deloading sets and Bodyweight Dips
    Bodyweight 5x6

Dips
    Bodyweight x10x3

Single Arm DB Rows
    80x5x3

DB Seated Curls
    50x6x3

DB Skullcrushers
    60x6x3

Comments
    Deload week seems weird being that I was so used to the volume work on the main lifts. Just went back to the normal exercises from the PHAT training just to get some more work in while still able to recover in my opinion. Saturday's run was a bit surprising being that my knee was hurting the week before. I guess increasing from 2g of Fish Oil to 3g makes a big difference. Anyway I gotta remember it's about effort and not about keeping pace... though if i want to run at that pace, i need to train so there is a trade off there
    100% 中國人

Wednesday 12/24, Week 4 Cycle 1 - Deload, Deadlift

Deloading Sets
    90x5, 115x5, 135x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Pendlay Rows
    135x10x2, 140x10

Dips done after every set of the Deloading sets along with the Pendlay Rows
    Bodyweight 10x6

Chinning Triangle Resistance Band Pull-Down Super-Setted with Resistance Band Full Range-Of-Motion Pulldown
    48x10x3, 19x10x3

90x10x2, 115x10

Single Arm DB Rows
    50x15x3

DB Lateral Raises
    20x15x3

DB Upright Rows
    40x15x2

DB Single-Arm Reverse Flyes
    20x10x3

Comments
    Lots if of Hypertrophy Work as you can see... felt good but we'll see after this deload week
    100% 中國人

Thursday 12/25, Week 4 Cycle 1 - Cardio

Friday 12/26, Week 4 Cycle 1 - Deload, Bench Press

Deloading Sets
    120x5, 110x5, 100x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Neutral Grip Pull Ups done after every set of the Deloading sets and Incline Bench Press
    Bodyweight 5x6

Incline Barbell Bench Press
    140x10x3

Dips Supersetted with Barbell Curls
    Bodyweight 15x3, 90x9x3

Barbell Shrugs Supersetted with 45 Plate Curls
    225x10x3, 20x3

DB Flyes
    35x18x3

DB Concentration Curls
    40x15x3

DB Skullcrushers
    50x10x3

Comments
    Again, i looked at the wrong column and did the first set of Squat deload - so i figured i would just go in reverse weights that was called for.
    100% 中國人

Saturday 12/27, Week 4 Cycle 1 - Cardio

Sunday 12/28, Cycle 2 Week 1 - Squat
    Warm Up
    130x5, 160x5, 190x3

Working Sets
    205x5, 235x5, 265x7

Joker Sets
    280x5, 295x5

First Set Last - AMRAP
    205x14

100x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Hanging Leg raises done after every set of the main sets except for the Warm-Up
    Bodyweight 10x11

Front Squats
    150x10x3

Monday 12/29, Cycle 2 Week 1 - Overhead Press
    Warm Up
    65x5, 80x5, 95x3

Working Sets
    100x5 115x5 130x5+?

Joker Sets
    135x5, 140x5, 145x2

First Set Last - AMRAP
    100x14

50x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Bodyweight 5x12

DB Lateral Raises
    30x15x3

DB Upright Rows
    40x15x2

DB Single-Arm Rows
    80x5x3

DB Seated Curls
    45x6x3

DB Skullcrushers
    60x7x3

Tuesday 12/30, Cycle 2 Week 1 - Cardio

Wednesday 12/31, Cycle 2 Week 1 - Deadlift
    Warm Up
    100x5, 125x5, 145x3

Working Sets
    160x5, 180x5, 205x10

Joker Sets
    215x5, 225x5, 235x5, 245x5

First Set Last - AMRAP
    160x15

Boring but Big sets at ~50% of 1RM
    135x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Bodyweight 10x13

53x10x3, 19x10x3

115x10x3

Single Arm Resistance Bands Rear Delt Flyes
    Green x10x2, Redx10

DB Single Arm Rows
    50x20x3

Comments
    Finally had an enlightenment that I shouldn't need to retest every cycle but rather to just add 5/10 lbs for upper/lower days after each cycle and the Boring but Big sets will be roughly 50% of my 1RM. Thought about doing the Pyramid Down for the Boring but Big sets but realized it may be too much for me.

As for cardio, trying to see how my first mile and my last full mile turns out since I'm interested to see if i can achieve a 7 minute mile before 2015 year ends That and I've been trying to push my red line for the last full mile+ so that for the marathon, I'd be able to keep pace to get a sub-4:00 or maybe even close to a qualifying time for the following year.
    100% 中國人

Thursday 1/, Cycle 2 Week 1 - Cardio

Wednesday 1/2, Cycle 2 Week 1 - Bench Press
    Warm Up
    90x5, 110x5, 130x3

Working Sets
    140x5, 165x5, 185x8

Joker Sets
    190x5, 195x5, 200x5, 205x5

First Set Last - AMRAP
    140x15

Boring but Big sets at ~45% of 1RM
    100x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Neutral Grip Pull Ups done after every set of the Deloading sets and Incline Bench Press
    Bodyweight 5x13

Incline Barbell Bench Press
    145x10x3

Dips Supersetted with Plate Curls
    Bodyweight 15x3, 45x20x3

Barbell Curls
    90x9x3

DB Flyes
    35x18, 35x20x2

Comments
    Had a personal record for a 1 miler: 7:09 !!

Neutral Grip PU seemed a lot easier than normal and forgot a couple of exercises on Friday but had things to do.
    100% 中國人

Saturday 1/3, Cycle 2 Week 1 - Cardio

Comments

Hit another personal record for a 1 miler: 6:59 !! Made that New Year's resolution just a few days earlier too, ha! Now to bring down my average pace per mile...

Sunday 1/4, Cycle 2 Week 2 - Squat
    Warm Up
    130x5, 160x5, 190x3

70x6x3

Working Sets
    220x3, 250x3, 280x6

Joker Sets
    295x3, 305x3, 315x3

First Set Last - AMRAP
    220x15

Boring but Big sets at ~44% of 1RM
    185x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Hanging Leg Raises done after every set of the working sets except the warm-up sets
    Bodyweight 10x13

Front Squats
    150x10x3

Comments

Probably wont be doing DB Bulgarian Split Squats prior to the working sets as part of the warm up. Will also think about adding some glute training into the mix but will have to figure out how using the resistance bands with the Power Rack...

Monday 1/5, Cycle 2 Week 2 - Overhead Press
    Warm Up
    65x5, 80x5, 95x3

Working Sets
    115x3, 125x0*, 135x3, 140x5

Joker Sets
    150x3, 155x3

First Set Last - AMRAP
    110x12

Boring but Big sets at ~45% of 1RM
    95x10, 70x10x4

Hypertrophy Work
    Neutral Grip Pull-Ups done after every set of the working sets except the warm-up sets
    Bodyweight 5x

Comments

Today's OHP Boring but Big first set at 95x10 I knew that I wouldn't be able to do another 4 sets so I dropped the weight.

First day back at work since being on Paternity Leave so I had to cut out the hypertrophy work since I woke up a bit later... gotta work on that lol maybe I can get some in tonight before I sleep?

I messed up the loading of the weight on the bar with the 2nd working set which was supposed to be the top set so i figured i'd go ahead as if it was planned...

Overall Comments
    The reason for the variable percentages of the Boring but Big sets is because I'm going by what is easier to load/off load the bar depending on the AMRAP set, whereas the first cycle was at 30% which seemed too easy. So far it's been more challenging.
    100% 中國人

Monday 1/5, Cycle 2 Week 2 part 2- Cardio

Comments

I usually do hill repeats on Monday so here are the results of it. For the sake of the personal log, I dont think i've recorded any so I can't compare averages but at least this is a starting point...

Average hill pace: 2:17

Tuesday 1/6, Cycle 2 Week 2 - Cardio

Comments

Average pace: 4:23
    Best Average pace: 4:12 on 11/26/14

11 seconds slower after having taken a month off from stair climbing but i'm sure there are more factors than just that since the day before I did some hill repeats. going to incorporate a session of stair climbing since it's more or less to prepare for the Spartan Beast that'll be coming up in April

Wednesday 1/7, Cycle 2 Week 2 - Deadlift
    Warm Up
    100x5, 125x5, 145x3

Working Sets
    170x3 190x3 215x6

Joker Sets
    225x3, 235x3, 245x3

First Set Last - AMRAP
    170x15

Boring but Big sets at ~56% of initial calculation of 1RM at 250
    140x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Dips done after every set of the working sets except the warm-up sets
    Bodyweight 10x13

53x10x3, 19x10x3

115x10x3

DB Single Arm Rear Delt Flyes
    15x10x3

DB Single Arm Rows
    50x20x3

Comments

Looking to increase weight for the T-Bar rows, while the Single Arm DB Rows seem heavier towards the middle of the 2nd set...

Thursday 1/8, Cycle 2 Week 2 - Cardio

Comments

This is my usual route that I run during my lunch break. Wont be recording any averages or PRs here since I see this as more of a

Friday 1/9, Cycle 2 Week 2 - Bench Press
    Warm Up
    90x5, 110x5, 130x3

Working Sets
    150x3, 175x3, 195x8

Joker Sets
    205x3, 210x3, 215x3, 220x3, 225x3

First Set Last - AMRAP
    150x16

Boring but Big sets at ~52% of initial calculation 1RM of 230
    120x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Neutral Grip Pull-Ups done after every set of the working sets except the warm-up sets
    Bodyweight 5x14

Comments

Didnt have much time today due to a variety of factors which included me snoozing the alarm 2 more times than i wanted to... at least i got the main workout in lol

The Boring but Big sets number was good as I've definitely felt the exhaustion towards the last 2 sets

Overall Comments
    I definitely want to get more hypertrophy work in, however, the main workout without any more than the main program itself averages around an hour a day... will need to wake up a bit earlier to be able to do so. Aside from that, excited to head into week 3 with the single heavy reps!
    100% 中國人

DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your log entries are all very nice. I'm sorry I can't really add or help much. But great dedication regardless.

You must have some crazy proportions that your squat is so much greater than your deadlift. Also, 160lb Press is freaking sick.
    SF Bay Area Crew
    Game Developer Crew
    Nut Misc Crew
    Actually Enjoys Clubbing Crew

Play MY MMORPG: Marvel Heroes. http://www.marvelheroes.com/

IG: DAaaMan64

"Stronger than yesterday, now it's nothing but my way. My loneliness ain't killing me no more. I, I'm stronger" ~ Mark Rippetoe

Saturday 1/10, Cycle 2 Week 2 - Cardio

Comments

The first race out of nine required in order to qualify for the 2016 marathon. Wasn’t trying for any personal records or anything but rather just to increase my pace so that maybe for future races, the organization will give me better bib numbers? lol

Have another in two weeks and it’s going to be the same route but two laps which ends up being a half marathon. No biggie since all my half marathon practice runs for the actual marathon for 2014 clocked in around 2:10 so hopefully I’ve gotten faster and have better endurance. Should be since those times were during the summer and it’s winter lol

Sunday 1/11, Cycle 2 Week 3 - Squat
    Warm Up
    130x5, 160x5, 190x3

Working Sets
    235x5, 265x3, 295x1, 295x4*

Joker Sets
    315x1, 330x1, 345x1, 360x1 PR… kind of lol

First Set Last - AMRAP
    235x12

Boring but Big sets at ~57% of initial calculation 1RM of 230
    190x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Hanging Leg raises done after every set of the working sets except the warm-up sets
    Bodyweight 10x10

Front Squats
    150x10x3

Comments

The Boring but Big sets are definitely an interesting idea that I’ve come across and incorporated into the workout… I don’t think it’s meant to substitute hypertrophy/accessory work but when you don’t have a lot of time and/or want to add a little more than what your current program calls for then at least to me, it’s a good addition to any program.

The reason for the “kind of PR” comment was that it’s not an all time PR – as stated in the beginning log posts, in High School, I was able to hit a 495lb squat so for not having squat in over 12 years, 360 is this current “era’s” PR lol

The other thing is that I forgot to hit max reps for the top set so after I realized it, I debated for a couple of seconds if it was worth doing more reps since I’m heading into the Joker sets portion of the work out – went for it anyway.

Monday 1/12, Cycle 2 Week 3 – Overhead Press and Cardio (Stair Climb)

Comments

Average pace: 4:20
    Best Average pace: 4:12 on 11/26/14

Will edit with the image of the results but I managed to grab the lap times off my watch to get least get the average. Slight improvement over last week, I’ll take it.

Warm Up
    65x5, 80x5, 95x3

Working Sets
    115x5 130x3 145x5

Joker Sets
    150x1, 155x1, 160x1, 165x0, 165x1

First Set Last - AMRAP
    110x12*

Boring but Big sets at ~45% of initial calculation 1RM of 160
    70x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Neutral Grip pull-ups done after every set of the working sets except the warm-up sets
    Bodyweight 5x13

DB Side Lateral Raises
    20x15x3

DB Upright Rows
    40x15x3

Comments

Woke up with some good energy to work out. Unfortunately, my newborn woke up with me so I had to tend to him for 10 minutes so I could’ve gotten some more hypertrophy work in but oh well I’ll take it as is.

I failed on the first attempt at 165 and didn’t realize that it would be 5lbs over my supposed 160lb max until just now – but this morning I felt real good and I didn’t want to leave without hitting 165. I remember hitting it last time since I have it record on paper but even then I didn’t remember it was a PR lol

The AMRAP was supposed to be 5lbs heavier from the last cycle – oh well

Overall Comments
    It would probably be a good idea of I had reviewed the previous week’s workout to see if there were any notes I needed to be reminded of lol Despite having added more pull-ups into the program, it was only Friday that I began to feel fatigue faster. Today I didn’t really feel fatigued as fast or as much so I’ve considered adding an extra rep per set.

Also, been trying to get more of a mind muscle connection and definitely felt more of a connection during the hypertrophy work the past two days than previously so it’s a good sign. My ego is what prevents me from lowering the weight and solely focusing on the MMC.

Originally Posted by DAaaMan64 View Post
    Your log entries are all very nice. I'm sorry I can't really add or help much. But great dedication regardless.

You must have some crazy proportions that your squat is so much greater than your deadlift. Also, 160lb Press is freaking sick.
    you dont have to add anything - not really expecting much since it's not like i post videos, though i will be soon.

i never really worked on deadlifting after high school when i was a member of a national gym - probably because my grip was so terrible in HS that it deterred me from ever wanting to improve it.

I dont think 160lb press is anything impressive... iono i think it's weak compared to Casey and Type lol
    Last edited by dailob; 01-13-2015 at 06:38 AM.
    100% 中國人

Tuesday 1/13, Cycle 2 Week 3 – Cardio (Hill Repeats)

Comments

Average hill pace: 2:21
    Best Average hill pace: 2:17 on 1/5/15

Overall Comments
    Fingers almost fell off since I forgot my gloves and running jacket at home - body was fine since the temperature was tolerable and my body will stay warm but can't forget gloves since it can get to be dangerous

This was done after the stair climb day vs. last week it was done before the stair climb day so i wonder if that had any effect on my average pace being slower.
    100% 中國人

Wednesday 1/14, Cycle 2 Week 3 - Deadlift
    Warm Up
    100x5, 125x5, 145x3

Working Sets
    180x5, 205x3, 225x6

Joker Sets
    235x1, 245x1, 255x1, 265x1, 275x1, 285x1PR

First Set Last - AMRAP
    180x13

Boring but Big sets at ~56% of initial calculation 1RM of 250
    140x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Dips done after every set of the working sets except the warm-up sets
    Bodyweight 10x15

45lb Plate Pull-Over Super-Setted with Resistance Band Full Range-Of-Motion Pulldown
    45x10x3, 19x10x3

125x10x3

DB Single Arm Rear Delt Flyes
    15x10x3

DB Single Arm Rows
    50x20x3

Comments

It was nice hitting that 285lb deadlift… on video it looked a lot smoother than it really was. Decided on the spur of the moment to see how the plate pull overs felt compared to the lat pull downs and I think next time I’m gonna try the DB version. 10lb increase on the T-Bar row and it’s definitely a workout.

Thursday 1/15, Cycle 2 Week 3 – Cardio

Comments

No comments

Overall Comments
    Back feeling some DOMs but it could possibly be due to the push-up challenge for controlled labs late last night found here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1331073361
    100% 中國人

Friday 1/16, Cycle 2 Week 3 - Bench Press
    Warm Up
    90x5, 115x5, 130x3

Working Sets
    165x5, 185x3, 205x6

Joker Sets
    215x1, 225x1, 235x1, 245x1, 255x1PR

First Set Last - AMRAP
    165x12

Boring but Big sets
    140x10x5

Hypertrophy Work
    Neutral Grip Pull-ups done after every set of the working sets except the warm-up sets
    Bodyweight 10x14

Plate Hammer Curls
    45lbx20x3

Overall Comments
    Not much Hypertrophy work done because I wanted to get in the ab work that I haven't gotten in on Fridays in awhile lol that and even though I woke up a little earlier than usual, still need to wake up earlier.

Since I had knew ahead of time that I wouldn't have time for a lot of hypertrophy work, i figured that the Boring but Big sets would suffice if I increased it to 140lbs, which it definitely was a grinder on the last couple of reps of the last set lol
    100% 中國人