M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100)

Transitioning BB to PL

1st post. Been lurking these forums for awhile and couldn't help but jump in.

Been lifting 1 1/2 years strictly from a bodybuilding perspective and focusing on size/hypertrophy, but it really is growing sort of dull. Every time I hit a PR on a compound it resonates for days and really invokes a sense of power. Pretty epic. So I've decided to put the pump down and begin the journey of strength (wish I would've started earlier so I could stack up to you guys).

I guess in a nutshell I need programming insight. I've read up on SL 5x5 as well as the apparently miraculous 531 and to a lesser extent the Lilliebridge method.

-SL 5x5 really does pull me in from a marketing perspective and I know countless dudes at my gym who have been running it quite some time and move 2-3 times the weight I do with ease. Only drawback is 90% of the time, these guys are half my size. I'm wanting to focus on strength training but still incorporate hypertrophy to keep what size I have worked for and 5x5 seems to neglect pretty much everything but the basics and leaves little time for assistance work.

-531, I hear, does wonders. After studying the basics of PLing I sort of hand-wrote my own split which turns out to mirror this program almost exactly which is ideal as fug. Really the only downfall I see is that week where you don't hit chest/bench for like more than a whole week? I've got to be hitting each body part once a week or I get straight cranky so idk about that. On a sidenote: I LOVE working with percentages and this seems to hold the crown for percentage based strength programs from what little I've read.

-The Lilliebridge Method seems perhaps more advanced so probably not my place right now from a transitional standpoint. I actually chatted with Eric on and off lately on ******** and he encouraged me to jump on a personal e-training program to work with him directly. The coaching is on sale this month but I've got my wedding coming up and really would prefer to save as much as possible so a bit hesitant.

In conclusion, 531 seems right up my alley. Is it okay to start strength training on 531 or should I ride out SL/SS until I plateau? Would it be okay to remove a day of rest on any of these programs to keep each body group within a week? If it helps, I'm 22, 160 lb., and have really week lifts to start out with right now at 205 (barely and assisted) on bench, 205 on squat (540 on leg press though?), and 275 on deadlift (by far my weakest lift which is depressing). Thanks

st3althr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) st3althr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) st3althr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) st3althr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) st3althr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) st3althr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) st3althr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) st3althr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) st3althr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) st3althr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) st3althr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I run starting strength, with some accessory work. Seems to work well, but only been doing it for a couple of months, but strength gains are there.

5/3/1 is slow for progression, so wouldnt recommended it for you.

You should still be able to progress linearly, by just starting off light, so for squats you could/would just start at 135 for a 3x5 and add weight each time.

The main factor is your consistency. The program you choose doesn't matter as much as your ability to be consistent with training, diet, sleep and general recovery.

As George Leeman said, the best program is just trying phucking harder.
    *DYEL crew*

145/100/185 -kg

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The difference in gains between the two methods aren't as big as you'd expect.I've used three main power lifts as the basis for my BB routine for years while supplementing with higher rep work AFTER getting the big lifts in.

Diet and weight progression are most important. That said, with your current lifts, starting strength is likely the way to go. And as long as it doesn't impair recovery, I would just do a couple extra back exercises for a couple sets of higher reps after your main lifts are done, same with arm work and side and rear delts, just spread em out throughout the week and you'll be fine.

You're not going to stop growing just bc you focus on powerlifting, not unless you don't know how to track macros and weight progression.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100) M1seryD1str1ct is not very well liked. (-100)
    Sounds good, really appreciate the replies. When, in your opinion(s), should I get off Starting Strength and move on to something else...I guess when I plateau like a mf'er? Also should I be throwing in a deload week here and there?

Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by M1seryD1str1ct View Post
    Sounds good, really appreciate the replies. When, in your opinion(s), should I get off Starting Strength and move on to something else...I guess when I plateau like a mf'er? Also should I be throwing in a deload week here and there?
    id run SS into the ground until you keep stalling, that should be a while though since your lifts are pretty low. I never really ever program reloads, but if you really need one take it, all my opinion of course.
    Wannabe Powerlifter
    Certified Donut Eater
    Indiana University Pride