jconsorti has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much is too much??

I am about to start my first bulk ever. Aside from my nutrition I am a member at a crossfit gym (say what you will) but i was thinking about doing this as well as using my work gym for isolated lifting as well. How much is too much? Do you think this is a bad idea, my thinking is I will be able to bulk with cal in > cal out and with crossfit training and clean eating keep fat gain minimal while bulking and gaining mass with isolate exercises. Thoughts?

TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    possible yes.. but your going to make things more difficult for yourself.
    Compensating with Calories.
    Your training- how will this fit with your program- it sounds a lot like doing a random couple of muscle groups that may or may not get sore with volume that isn't preassigned and then adjusting your workouts on the fly in the gym while considering the necessary rest.

What it comes down to is how much you enjoy crossift- is it worth making things more difficult for you, and maybe not getting the optimal. Or are you just thinking more is better, its not.

NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Seems like too much. IMO... if your going to bulk you need to commit 100% to gaining mass, that means sucking it up and gaining some body fat. I'd drop the crossfit training during your bulking phase, then use it as a way to cut back down after you've packed on some weight/size. Maybe bulk to 200, then cut back down to 185 using crossfit.

Also, I don't think you'll really be able to get enough "clean" calories while training so much to actually effectively add any mass. That is, if your doing it naturally.

mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think connective tissue health may become a concern depending on your training volume and frequency
    GSF

Well I was thinking either before or after a "WOD" I'd come to my work gym (about 2 miles away) and do an workout on the same muscle group that the crossfit workout hit. I was thinking this would basically be like a 2 hr gym workout and I don't really see a difference of doing both crossfit then regular gym for 1.5-2 hrs vs regular gym for 1.5-2 hrs.

TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jconsorti View Post
    Well I was thinking either before or after a "WOD" I'd come to my work gym (about 2 miles away) and do an workout on the same muscle group that the crossfit workout hit. I was thinking this would basically be like a 2 hr gym workout and I don't really see a difference of doing both crossfit then regular gym for 1.5-2 hrs vs regular gym for 1.5-2 hrs.
    you trying to persuade others or yourself that this is a good idea.. Im not saying it wont work- Im saying I don't see it being necessary and more difficult on yourself.

You asked a question, others gave an answer- in the end it comes down to enjoyment of crossfit vs chasing a more optimal approach of gaining muscle.

NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NicktheStick is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jconsorti View Post

I've never seen a crossfitter downplay the intensity of Crossfit before. Aren't the WODs pretty intense? How productive are those lifting sessions going to be after?

Originally Posted by TJP33 View Post
    you trying to persuade others or yourself that this is a good idea.. Im not saying it wont work- Im saying I don't see it being necessary and more difficult on yourself.

You asked a question, others gave an answer- in the end it comes down to enjoyment of crossfit vs chasing a more optimal approach of gaining muscle.
    I appreciated the feedback and you're right, I am trying to persuaded myself that this is a good idea only because I committed to a yr membership. Now as I reassess my situation and the fact that I should add some muscle to be 170 at 10% bf vs 155 I'm trying to figure out the best approach for my situation.

Originally Posted by NicktheStick View Post
    I've never seen a crossfitter downplay the intensity of Crossfit before. Aren't the WODs pretty intense? How productive are those lifting sessions going to be after?
    They are pretty intense, but I like to scale everything back and work on my form rather than go nuts and heavy and get injured.