sent4rmabove23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Started lifting Saturday, up 7 lbs .. is this normal?

Hi girls,

I started exercising again more specifically lifting after 6 whole months of not being active. I started Kris Gethin 12 week workout program this past Saturday and since then I'm up 7 lbs on the scale. I did get my period on Monday but still 7 lbs is a lot in just a couple of days. I am dealing w/ DOMS but I figured that much after 6 months of no activity. I want you to know that I've been on a ketogenic diet since June thats the main reason I stopped working out because I wanted to get a handle on my nutrition. Before I would work out a lot but my nutrition was poor. Before you judge my low carb HIGH fat way of eating please understand I have tried everything and the Keto Diet is what has worked best for ME. I did labs before starting and 3 months into the diet and my cholesterol improved drastically. I was able to drop 22 lbs and keep it off until now that I started lifting again. Do you think that the gain could be due to inflammation? I do not like to get caught up w/ the number on the scale BUT I do like to understand how my body works and why it does what it does so if you have any insight can you shoot me some? Thanks!

bicepsflex bicepsflex bicepsflex bicepsflex bicepsflex bicepsflex bicepsflex bicepsflex bicepsflex bicepsflex bicepsflex
    If you have started to eat carbs again it will be water and glycogen

Originally Posted by bicepsflex View Post
    If you have started to eat carbs again it will be water and glycogen
    I keep my carb count under 50g and I don't touch bread, rice or any starchy vegetables. As far as my diet goes, I have not changed anything. I thought I would be hungrier but my appetite is normal like always. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's water weight fluctuation and nothing more. As long as you're in a proper calorie deficit, the scale should start going down not up. All foods need to be weighed, measured and tracked accordingly on a food scale. Eyeballing/guessing portion sizes doesn't work.

Give it a another couple weeks. If the scale continues going up, it's because you're eating too many calories and your tracking methods are off.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    It's water weight fluctuation and nothing more. As long as you're in a proper calorie deficit, the scale should start going down not up. All foods need to be weighed, measured and tracked accordingly on a food scale. Eyeballing/guessing portion sizes doesn't work.

Give it a another couple weeks. If the scale continues going up, it's because you're eating too many calories and your tracking methods are off.
    Thanks I managed to find other threads of women expressing the same concern. They all said that after 2-3 weeks the initial weight came off and they were able to successfully continue to lose weight. Everyone stressed the importance of measuring during this time and not focusing on the scale so that's what I'll do in the mean time. I'm not so concerned about my nutrition, I feel I am OK in that area now maybe not in the beginning of this year but I spent 6 months focusing on what I was putting in my mouth so I feel comfortable in the nutrition area.

Thanks again! :-)

Hello,

Just want to update everybody, I am 1 lb away from my starting weight on the 1st of November. Period is gone, I feel amazing ... clothes fits nice so F the scale :-)

derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derickp38 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sent4rmabove23 View Post
    Hello,

Just want to update everybody, I am 1 lb away from my starting weight on the 1st of November. Period is gone, I feel amazing ... clothes fits nice so F the scale :-)
    Yea you should never rely on the scale, but how you look and feel. the scale can be used if you need to use numbers but really it's pointless. Most of the time when your weight spikes dramatically like that is due to water retention and inflammation. My wife and I notice about a week out from her period if she is using certain supplements it causes her to hold a ton of water, so if you are using supplements just pay attention when that time of month is coming.
    Never give up

Fight for what YOU believe in

Push past the threshold

Pain is only temporary, but glory last a lifetime

Instagram: @dp_808