xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxndnromeoxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many grams of (epa + dha) in fish oil do I need?

I know there is no maximum level set by the RDA. And I also know each company who makes these has a different concentration level of epa+dha.

The one I have has 0.3 of epa+dha together per pill.

How many grams do I need daily, and how much should I not exceed?

I found this:
    Try to include at least 0.5-1.8 grams of EPA + DHA per day in your diet, either by eating fish or fish oil supplements. If you have documented coronary heart disease, you should include at least 1.0 grams of EPA + DHA in your diet. Patients with hypertriglyceridemia (elevated or high blood triglycerides) can lower their values by as much as 40 percent by taking 2-4 grams of EPA + DHA per day. If you are taking more than 3 grams of EPA + DHA per day, consult with your physician because high intakes tend to prevent blood from clotting and may cause excessive nose bleeding.
    http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritio...s/omega3.shtml

So I'm thinking about 6 pills daily which would equal 1.8 grams of epa+dha.

My diet is low on meat in general, and I am not a bodybuilder, but actually a runner.

But I'm a bit scared on overdosing, yet want to stay at an optimal level.

What are your thoughts?

How much do you take daily, and have you had any side effects physically, and in your LDL levels?

ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi guys

I'm also interested to understand the right doses here
    I have looked at many threads but still can't figure it out as everybody has a different PoV

I'm 95 Kg, 1.76cm, buliking up till May/June
    I've read you can go up to 20 caps a day for a mega dose of EFA/DHA (18% 12%)
    My goal at the moment is to build mass before cutting for my next contest in September

Any suggestion on the right dosage of EFA/DHA for the next couple of months?

Thanks in advance guys
    Fran

Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    From Lyle McDonald: My current generic recommendation is the middle level, 10X1 gram capsules per day for 3 grams total fish oil.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/qa-2.html

Fish oil recommendations are EPA and DHA added together.

Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by xxndnromeoxx View Post
    I know there is no maximum level set by the RDA. And I also know each company who makes these has a different concentration level of epa+dha.

I found this:

My diet is low on meat in general, and I am not a bodybuilder, but actually a runner.

What are your thoughts?

How much do you take daily, and have you had any side effects physically, and in your LDL levels?
    Paleo

Smile

Originally Posted by xxndnromeoxx View Post

I found this:

What are your thoughts?

Studies show the benefits of the active lipids start happening above 1 gram plus. Although I see this as a good recommendation, I am a Paleo hater.
    Last edited by Ghosting; 03-20-2011 at 08:13 AM.

ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItalianArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you very much for your responses guys
    I like Lyle McDonald's protocol: 3gr a day = 10 caps of 1,000mg (18% EFA - 12% DHA)
    Anyway, is this also linked to body weight?

I'm 95Kg now, circa 209 lbs...3gr of EFA+DHA as good for me as well as for a guy weighting 185lbs?

Thanks

Originally Posted by ItalianArms View Post
    Anyway, is this also linked to body weight?
    Good question. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will answer this.

ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For heart health anyway,the minimum EPA/DHA from fish oil to take a day is 1800mgs. Everyone is different in their needs though and what some do is test their EPA/DHA ratio.

"Omega-3 Index: 10% or greater?"
    http://www.heartscanblog.org/2010/02...r-greater.html

from the article:

"The data suggest that, while an omega-3 index of 7.3% is associated with reduced risk for sudden cardiac death, a higher level of 10% or greater is associated with less risk for heart attack. Surprisingly, fish consumption and fish oil intake account for only 47% of the variation in omega-3 index.

I believe the emerging data are becoming increasingly clear: If you desire maximal control over heart health, know your omega-3 index and keep it 10% or higher."

Registered User quotablepatella's Avatar
    quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's usually two capsules twice a day, but follow the dosing guidelines on the bottle. Anything under 3 grams should be fine, there's a chance of an increased risk of bleeding when you take any more than that. Probably won't kill you to take more than 3g per day but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
    Last edited by quotablepatella; 03-20-2011 at 10:51 AM.

any link to bodyweight?

Registered User quotablepatella's Avatar
    quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quotablepatella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    any link to bodyweight?
    None that I'm aware of. The treatment guidelines are for between 1500 to 2000 mg per day of EPA/DHA. Bear in mind these guidelines were written for treatment of high triglycerides, but for use as a supplement the same rules apply.

If there is a link to body weight, it's not significant. 500 pound individuals get the same dose as 100 pound individuals. It's like taking baby aspirin for preventing heart attack: everyone takes the same dose.

cheers mate

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Not a fan of capsules and supplements in general.

For example:
    A big can of tuna in water (250 cals, 65 grams protein) will have as much Omega 3 in it as 3 regular Fish Oil capsules, right? I eat that a few times per week. I also eat wild Salmon a few times per week... Then I assume there are other sources of Omega 3, aren't there?

What's the problem with doing it that way? Is more really better? Doesn't fish oil start compromising your immune system and other things when you overdo it?

Hi Kusok
    can't agree more but sometimes it's easier with pills and capsules..especially if you're always on the go like in my job

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hi Kusok
    can't agree more but sometimes it's easier with pills and capsules..especially if you're always on the go like in my job

I'm biased I appear to have some allergy or reaction of some kind to the gelatin coating, or maybe even to fish oil itself (not sure how that's possible as I don't have allergy to regular fish) I get some redness on the face around the nose if I take a few capsules... too weird. Still trying to find out if it's really the fish oil or something else that's causing it.

it might be the gelatin for real...a friend of mine had a similar reaction once with some pills