Kitties has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Failing deadlift that I can do

I am currently on strong lifts 5x5 and my deadlift is 355 lbs while I'm 144 lbs now. I just currently turned 17 and been on a 500 calorie deficit for a while now. Trying to get below 10% bodyfat.
    Now my weight on my deadlift has been going up consistently besides now I failed one session only getting 355x3 and now this week I couldn't even pick up the bar.... I was so bummed.
    Also I should mention I do a little bodybuilding on the side nothing to intense though it's just enough to build muscle and get by.
    I was wondering why I failed so hard. I know I can lift it its just not happening. I'm on my rest weekend now should I eat maintenance for now to recover or what? Any suggestion on what I should do or comments on why this is happening I would love.

electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You need to eat more. There's no reason to be cutting at 144lbs and 5'7".

Kitties has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by electricred View Post
    I eat around 1500 cals. How much should I eat? I still want to be cutting is that unrealistic? Or should i just make it less of a deficit

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by electricred View Post

Sometimes bad days happen, but if you're in a caloric deficit squatting heavy three days a week, then deadlifting and doing the rest of the program with even more accessories on top, then you're setting yourself up for failure.
    This sums it up.

Diet could be 1 of the biggest contributors to early failing and long-term stalling on this program, and should be addressed ASAP, however...

Originally Posted by Kitties View Post
    this week I couldn't even pick up the bar
    ...this is unlikely to be solely related to diet, unless you've been starving yourself of food for the past 24-48. If you can't pick up a weight you could do sessions earlier for 5, for even 1 rep, I'd look at 3 main possibilities. 1, a bad day, made so by diet, sleep, mentality, so on, and you should maximise on these aspects before your next session to make sure it's a more successful 1. 2, bad form, form inconsistency, can often have you moving a weight 1 day, and getting pulled over by it the next. 3, mentality, if you fail once, unless you have a good mental attitude, you will feel less confident going for that same weight next time.

I myself had experienced all 3 of these in regard to all different lifts while running SS (similar to SL) last year and early this year. I turned my surplus into a deficit, and weeks long of steady, consistent progress came to almost a halt within a couple of sessions. I pulled a weight 1 day for 5, couldn't get it off the floor the next cos my form was always different. I went up to squat, couldn't get 1 rep, failed on the 1st, cos I was scared, and nervous, and unconfident, I slapped myself, put my mentality how it needed to be, went back up, got 5 reps a few minutes later and marked it down as easy.

Whatever the reason, all you can do is ensure that every possible aspect of your training (routine, diet, rest/recovery/sleep, form, mentality) are on point, and if you can optimise those things by your next few sessions, I'm sure you'll bring success back to you, and continue to progress on SL.

I eat around 1500 cals. How much should I eat? I still want to be cutting is that unrealistic? Or should i just make it less of a deficit
    I'm sorry to say these routines do not take kindly to cutters, and the authors of these types of routines usually encourage very high surpluses of calories, and to go at it with anything less than maintenance is, as said above, setting yourself up for failure. You have a choice to make, successful strength and size gains on StrongLifts, or continued weight/fat loss. If you decide the latter, for your results and subsequent success, I'd encourage you to switch to something slightly more appropriate for cutting.

electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10) electricred is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd be eating around 2500 calories, but check your weight weekly and adjust as needed. Your metabolism could be different than mine, but 18-20 calories per pound of bodyweight has been working for me.

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Absolutely nothing wrong with cutting on a strength program, but you have to accept that if unless you're only cutting for a month or so, and doing it with a moderate deficit, you're going to plateau or lose strength at some point.

New lifters can make lots of strength gains while cutting aggressively, which sounds like what you've done, but there comes a point of diminishing returns.

At your current stats and age, if you're not shredded by now you don't have nearly enough base of muscle to look good lean...which given your age is understandable.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

Jmadden44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jmadden44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jmadden44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jmadden44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jmadden44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jmadden44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jmadden44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jmadden44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jmadden44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jmadden44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jmadden44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bulk.

Srs.
    *OKC THUNDER*
    *OKLAHOMA SOONERS*

Best Comp 1RM
    S 501.5w/470sleeves
    B 358
    D 578
    1405 raw w/ sleeves @214

IG jmad44

Limjoe1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    don't listen to them, if you wanna stay in a lower weight class then do it. just drop your 1RM for the program and maybe start again at like 325-335 for ur 5x5 and build your way back up

kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "couldn't even pick up the bar"...does that mean you unable to pick up the 45lb bar by itself? If so then it sounds more like an injury to me...
    My powerlifting journal:
    Adaptation ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169905603

randomalias is just really nice. (+1000) randomalias is just really nice. (+1000) randomalias is just really nice. (+1000) randomalias is just really nice. (+1000) randomalias is just really nice. (+1000) randomalias is just really nice. (+1000) randomalias is just really nice. (+1000) randomalias is just really nice. (+1000) randomalias is just really nice. (+1000) randomalias is just really nice. (+1000) randomalias is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kaleida View Post
    "couldn't even pick up the bar"...does that mean you unable to pick up the 45lb bar by itself? If so then it sounds more like an injury to me...
    Maybe his femurs were too long this time
    Best Gym Lifts 345/245/425x3

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am currently on strong lifts 5x5 and my deadlift is 355 lbs while I'm 144 lbs now. I just currently turned 17 and been on a 500 calorie deficit for a while now. Trying to get below 10% bodyfat.
    Now my weight on my deadlift has been going up consistently besides now I failed one session only getting 355x3 and now this week I couldn't even pick up the bar.... I was so bummed.
    Also I should mention I do a little bodybuilding on the side nothing to intense though it's just enough to build muscle and get by.
    I was wondering why I failed so hard. I know I can lift it its just not happening. I'm on my rest weekend now should I eat maintenance for now to recover or what? Any suggestion on what I should do or comments on why this is happening I would love.
    You are probably not recovering well. You are eating on a deficit and "doing a little bodybuilding on the side" instead of sticking to your program and getting stronger. You are trying to do 3 different things right now, you want to cut, you want to bodybuild, and you want to increase your deadlift strength. At your level you need to pick a priority for now. If you want to increase your lifts, eat more and stick to your 5x5 program. Eventually you will get stronger and bigger, and then it would be a good time to drop some fat if you feel the need to.

JoseAlicea92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoseAlicea92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoseAlicea92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoseAlicea92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoseAlicea92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoseAlicea92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoseAlicea92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoseAlicea92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoseAlicea92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoseAlicea92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoseAlicea92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would have to say that if you are already on a good program then you should just stick with that and leave the little bodybuilding stuff on the side so you can focus on the program and getting stronger. Another thing is that you are already at a light weight and eating in a deficit you are taking away from the essential calories you could be intaking to help recover and take your strength gains to another level.
    Best Competition Lifts
    365/231/375
    22 Years Old
    165lbs
    Goals for end of 2014
    405/255/405
    Youtube Page: www.youtube.com/user/josealicea1992