TheDruid84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is an hour a day enough to lose weight?

I heard someone say that you need to exercise for at least 20 minutes before your body goes into fat burning mode.

I aim to try to make myself exhausted after an hour of my own routine. The routine turned out to be much harder than I thought, making me realise just how unfit I am.

xx45xx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xx45xx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xx45xx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xx45xx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xx45xx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xx45xx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xx45xx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xx45xx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xx45xx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xx45xx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xx45xx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TheDruid84 View Post
    I heard someone say that you need to exercise for at least 20 minutes before your body goes into fat burning mode.

I aim to try to make myself exhausted after an hour of my own routine. The routine turned out to be much harder than I thought, making me realise just how unfit I am.
    You could burn a good amount of calories in less than 20 minutes.. Likewise you could put on fat or stay the same weight if you 'exercise' for hours at a time. calories are the fuel and you need a calorie deficit in conjunction with your workout if your looking to burn the fat. if youre short on time make it intense. No routine stays hard without changing it, while also applying the proper technique and effort. good luck

masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need an elevated heart rate of about 60% of your max heart rate for 20 minutes to sit in the fat burning mode. Something to point out though, is if you work out on a treadmill and walk or run without hitting this threshold, what you burned while on the treadmill is all you burned, you gain no metabolism boost, if you sit in the 60%+ mode, when your done, you may have a slightly higher metabolism for a short while afterwards. However, if you were to do sets of High Intensity Interval Training for 20 minutes and hit 80% heart rate, you body elevates the metabolism for up to a day afterward. The effect may not be earth shattering, but it makes a difference. There are plenty of forums and articles here to read about.

In general, for losing weight, watch your nutrition and what you eat. The work you do in the gym doesn't mean much without a proper diet.

draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I wouldn't worry about "fat burning mode" or any other crappy terms like that. Exercise requires energy (calories) just like normal bodily function. What we eat contains energy (calories) and as long as you have a energy deficit at the end of the day, your body is going to have burned some sort of "weight"
    ACE Certified Personal Trainer
    NASM CPT, CES, FNS
    Hire me as your Online Personal Trainer!
    Visit www.InsaneAthlete.net
    twitter.com/insaneathlete - Follow us, we'll follow back!
    Youtube.com/insaneathletenet - Subscribe!

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    this is old dinosaur 'health' knowledge that i remember learning my freshman year in highschool.

simply put, you don't have to exercise at all to lose fat or weight, though it's highly advisable in order to retain muscle. eat in a caloric deficit and you'll lose weight. lift weights a few times a week or do some sort of high intensity resistance training, and you'll keep whatever possible muscle you can whilst losing weight.

an extreme example: my future father in law is a big man, was in the upper 500s a few months back, standing at around 5'7". after getting things with his diet in a routine and all, he has dropped down to 493ish lbs. he's too big at the moment to do much working out without messing with his joints, he WAS occasionally walking around the yard with my dog but again...lots of stress on the joints. he has pretty much done all that fat loss just through his dedication to diet. 30-45 minute workouts CAN be done efficiently, but it'll mean NO chatting in between sets or dilly dallying. get in, get **** done, get out.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You don't burn just fat when exercising. You want to think of it more as adding to your calorie deficit for the day. Don't think there is a timeframe where you start burning just fat, it doesn't exist.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    90% diet. I trained for sports on a pretty high level, and was still fat.
    Rugby, Judo, Basketball, MMA Fighter Crew (4-0).
    80+ lbs lost crew
    UofT Biz Crew

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Sarumyan View Post
    90% diet. I trained for sports on a pretty high level, and was still fat.
    Yep.

When you understand it takes running a mile to burn off a medium size cookie you begin to see the imbalance of calories in to calories out. I see people eating a 1,500 cal Whopper and Fries and think 15 minutes on the exercycle will neutralize it. That barely burns off 1 French fry
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    You don't burn just fat when exercising. You want to think of it more as adding to your calorie deficit for the day. Don't think there is a timeframe where you start burning just fat, it doesn't exist.
    I also think pushing too hard can hinder fat loss to a point simply because in my opinion there's a point when exercise becomes just stress to the body. (your body is truely your best gauge it lets you know)
    Why do I do this weightlifting thing for the last 34 years with all its ups and downs life has handed me? Because each time I came back stronger. NEVER GIVE UP. Gym life is about more than muscles getting bigger and weights going up. Its wisdom discipline dedication humility you name it.

SidScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) SidScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) SidScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) SidScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) SidScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) SidScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) SidScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) SidScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) SidScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) SidScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) SidScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sharpieblet View Post
    this is old dinosaur 'health' knowledge that i remember learning my freshman year in highschool.

simply put, you don't have to exercise at all to lose fat or weight, though it's highly advisable in order to retain muscle. eat in a caloric deficit and you'll lose weight. lift weights a few times a week or do some sort of high intensity resistance training, and you'll keep whatever possible muscle you can whilst losing weight.
    I differ, exercising leads to muscle gains, which results in higher metabolism. Fat overweight people tend to have very slow crawling metabolism, almost in hibernation mode. They do need a Jolt.

That's why I always recommend to join gym and lift heavy before starting calorie deficit. Gain some muscle underneath and fat will literally melt away.

One method doesn't work for everyone.
    BE STRONG and of GOOD COURAGE, do not be afraid or dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

You are stronger from how you view yourself as, not by heeding to the doubt of others.

MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Agree^^^

Originally Posted by stingray72 View Post
    I also think pushing too hard can hinder fat loss to a point simply because in my opinion there's a point when exercise becomes just stress to the body. (your body is truely your best gauge it lets you know)
    High cortisol levels will not hinder fat loss directly. Elevated cortisol can increase your appetite leading to over eating but it does does not blunt the oxidation of fat. However, cortisol is a catabolic hormone. Cortisol both decreases MPS and increases muscle muscle protein breakdown but MPS>MPB is what we want. The hormone isn't all bad though, one of the positives is the release of fatty acids and carbs to burn for quick energy during training.

Originally Posted by SidScorpio View Post
    I differ, exercising leads to muscle gains, which results in higher metabolism. Fat overweight people tend to have very slow crawling metabolism, almost in hibernation mode. They do need a Jolt.

That's why I always recommend to join gym and lift heavy before starting calorie deficit. Gain some muscle underneath and fat will literally melt away.

One method doesn't work for everyone.
    No, exercising does not lead to muscle gains. Caloric surplus, proper nutrition, proper muscle stimulation stimulate muscle growth.
    No, "fat overweight " people do not have a crawling metabolism. In fact most of the people that you see come though here that are obese have a pretty high TDEE. No one is in hibernation mode.

So your recommendation to an obese person is to bulk before entering a caloric deficit? That makes no sense.

Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Wrong way of looking at it brah.. you could ruin that hour in less than 30 seconds

Registered User SkeletorWannaBe's Avatar
    SkeletorWannaBe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SkeletorWannaBe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SkeletorWannaBe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SkeletorWannaBe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SkeletorWannaBe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheDruid84 View Post

With about 5k calories deficit, I didn't lose any weight after about 9 hours of training (2-3 days ago), so I believe you have to train more than that.

stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MrM27 View Post

High cortisol levels will not hinder fat loss directly. Elevated cortisol can increase your appetite leading to over eating but it does does not blunt the oxidation of fat. However, cortisol is a catabolic hormone. Cortisol both decreases MPS and increases muscle muscle protein breakdown but MPS>MPB is what we want. The hormone isn't all bad though, one of the positives is the release of fatty acids and carbs to burn for quick energy during training.
    Thanks for that detailed explanation. There is so much we dont no about the body and never will but what our bodies tell us is still the best gauge and nobody knows it better than us because we experience everything personally. Its our own private 24 hour lab.
    Why do I do this weightlifting thing for the last 34 years with all its ups and downs life has handed me? Because each time I came back stronger. NEVER GIVE UP. Gym life is about more than muscles getting bigger and weights going up. Its wisdom discipline dedication humility you name it.

Registered User SubWooferCooker's Avatar
    SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ilost 28 pounds WITH zero cardio only weight lifting so this theory is definitely not right.