Registered User Sweatyteddytaco's Avatar
    Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Lose fat or gain muscle?

I know that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at same time(it's difficult at least). So I'm not sure what I should do. I'm 5 foot 6 at around 225 lbs. I've been lifting off and on for few years but you couldn't tell. I can only max bench 265lbs. If I had to guess I'd say I'm 30% body fat. Should I go a low calorie diet (if so how low) and Still lift to maintain strength. Or should I increase calories just enough to gain muscle without gaining much fat. I lift 3-5 days a week and rarely do cardio.

matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well it all depends on your personal goals. Though, being 30% body fat isn't going to be doing wonders for your health, so increasing it is a bad idea in my opinion.
    R.I.P urukhai29, sentinel3, AncientYouth.

"Eating chips and cookies and drinking soda is just like wandering through life. These are the agents of a purposeless existence. Avocados, turkey burgers, brown rice and eggs etc are the agents of a purposeful existence." - orderoutofchaos, The Internet, 2014

2 Kings 2:23-24

gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Sweatyteddytaco View Post
    I know that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at same time(it's difficult at least). So I'm not sure what I should do. I'm 5 foot 6 at around 225 lbs. I've been lifting off and on for few years but you couldn't tell. I can only max bench 265lbs. If I had to guess I'd say I'm 30% body fat. Should I go a low calorie diet (if so how low) and Still lift to maintain strength. Or should I increase calories just enough to gain muscle without gaining much fat. I lift 3-5 days a week and rarely do cardio.
    accurately track your caloric intake by using a food scale. find out how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current body weight and then cut 500 calories from that, this should get you to lose 1 lb a week, check your weight on the scale from time to time to make sure the weight is coming off after a few weeks you might have to cut more calories, keep cutting calories so that you average 1lb a week of weight loss. you can cut more calories to lose more weight every week but i wouldn't reccommend that because you will plateau faster and find it harder to eat at such a big deficit. at 5 ft 6 in 225lbs ur gonna want to lose at least 75lbs, that will take you about a year and a half. keep at it and be patient, lift heavy and stay consistent with your caloric intake, good luck buddy!!!

cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Dude if you can bench 265 you're in substantially better position than most of us in here. Cut. 30% is not a good place to be in.

NickDuval84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You should go on caloric deficit and look into doing intermittent fasting. I've tried all kinds of routines when it comes to cutting and nothing comes close to results I got from IF. I can take some time to get used to it, but it pays out in the end. Also don't go max volume with your workout (1-2 reps) because you will burn out fast. Try to do reasonable weight with your workouts with anywhere between 8-10 reps but not going to fail on each set. Also if you do decide to go with IF to cut, try to get your workout before you start eating for the day. Your insulin levels will be really low at the end of the workout and your body will suck up all the nutrition after you eat.

Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Under you fat is probably a shredded 180 pounder waiting to woo dat poo tang

bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Figure out your maintenance cut 200-300 calories a day for a few weeks then go down to 400-500 under. Next do 2-3 20 minute cardio sessions after the weights eat right and you'll be to down to 200lbs in 2-3 months if not sooner.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172784881 redtest log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173258571

Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sweatyteddytaco is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks guys! Now what kind of cardio 2 to 3 times a week? Would a walk up an incline be enough or what? And how much protein should I try to get because if it's my weight idk if I can make it to 225 grams a day.

Originally Posted by Zevias View Post
    Under you fat is probably a shredded 180 pounder waiting to woo dat poo tang
    I like this post most by the way lol

Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    You dob't have to do any cardio if you don't want to
    It's up to you
    Do you want to create a deficit by dieting and doing no cardio?
    Or create a deficit through cardio?
    Also its 1g per lb of LEAN body mass, not body weight

JET4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JET4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JET4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JET4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JET4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JET4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JET4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JET4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JET4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JET4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JET4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks guys! Now what kind of cardio 2 to 3 times a week? Would a walk up an incline be enough or what? And how much protein should I try to get because if it's my weight idk if I can make it to 225 grams a day.
    I don't think you need that much. Assuming ~30% bf is correct, I'd say hit at least 160 but maybe aim for around 180g/day.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Always get the fat off before adding lean mass. Get to 12ish % then add mass and then keep an eye on your waist. If it goes up an inch or so, lean out again. If you do this you'll never have much of a cutting period to deal with.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Dcaliber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started at 200lbs at 5'4. So I was obese. After 1.5 months of hardcore lifting and intense cardio,(dieting of course) I'm down to 173lbs. Even though I only gained strength and very little muscle, it looks like I live at the gym. As the fat goes, the muscle stays(so long as you keeping lifting) and it looks great. I do cardio 5 times a week for 35-45 minutes. Usually a jog. Find out your bmr, and eat 500 below it. The fat falls off.

Georgeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Georgeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Georgeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Georgeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Georgeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Georgeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Georgeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Georgeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Georgeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Georgeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Georgeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If it's not a mistake and you really bench 265 lbs, I say you do not need more muscles. Hence the answer, cut.

Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lama94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you've been inconsistent while lifting both training and nutrition wise keep it simple.

Jump on a structured plan. 3/4x a week

Choose a type of protein each day (lean ground beef mince, kangaroo, chicken, fish, etc)

Have a minimum of 4 meals a day with at least 150g of the uncooked protein with veggies. Eat a handful of pumkin/sweet potato after a weight session. Supplement with some vitamins. Consistency is the key brah

Follow this for a few weeks watch the body fat drop, when it starts to slow then go to macros/cals..