Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)

How the KC Royals Became Baseball's Fastest Team + Team Workout

Thought some of the baseball players here might be interested in this

Speed Article;
    http://www.stack.com/2014/10/08/kans...peed-training/

Team Workout;
    http://www.stack.com/2014/10/16/kans...oyals-workout/
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Coach Pott's, I don't know what all I am replying to. But I thought I'd share my thoughts w/ you. Some of them are likely helpful feed back from an athlete. Some of them may be critical. But either way, all just my opinion.

All else being equal, I would rather train athletes to do pistols and weighted pistols rather than Bulgarian squats. See this video: *****://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLogFAbTlDI. Do you think this guy would do Bulgarian squats, or do you think he'd grab a kettlebell and bust out 20 2pood pistols or something? My point is, the muscles involved are rather similar but I think the "neurological loading" from the pistol is more beneficial than that of the Bulgarian Squat.

Again, I do not know what is were, what I saw in what link, but I was glad to see the "monster walk" and will begin incorporating that myself.

The whole thing in the video about training hip rotation. I don't think it can hurt. Not sure I would spend my time that way though. You get a lot of hip rotation w/ active squatting. Any kind of med-ball throw, if programmed under the pressure of a time domain, and heavy enough, is OK w/ me though.

A lot of the exercises you choose... I'd rather attack those muscles w/ different movements. Like instead of plank overhead squat, handstands, muscle ups, but krakkerz would scream "hell..." if I suggest those movements for baseball players. The truth is, looking at them from management's POV, the lower risk choices you have made...which do you think is "safer" to the athlete? Bulgarian squats or weighted pistols? On the surface, its the Bulgarian squat...may be appropriate. But were it me, I would rather blend the two and introduce the "isolation exercise's" functional equivalent, slowly, until the athlete had learned the pattern, and while he is learning, keep "training" him with the neurologically easier movement under load. But eventually...I would want to progress to the weighted pistol over the Bulgarian squat, for example.

Also, I was talking to a couple of ex pros, I think all minor league guys, and they said they thought there was someone in the MLB that could run a mile in under 5 minutes. I can't really decide what I think, I guess you could say it wouldn't surprise me one way or another. I know the Cardinals team reasonably well, there are a couple of guys that I would think could make it interesting. But if I'm a betting man, getting even odds, I put my money on no one on their team being able to do it.

You may be uniquely qualified to answer, I am just curious. Do you think anyone on the Royals can do it? If so, how fast do you think your fastest KC Royals athlete could run a mile?
    www.crossfit.com

a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    While I am at it, what is your fastest athlete's time @ 0-90, what about 60 yard dash?
    www.crossfit.com

Also, about the open stance a la Pro Agility Drill...clearly it makes you faster when going towards second. But what do the player think about there ability to get back? Certainly there must a compromise there, a smaller lead, or you get picked more. is it worth it? Player dependent? Or do you have studies and survey's on this?
    www.crossfit.com

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by a_emory View Post
    but krakkerz would scream "hell..." if I suggest those movements for baseball players.
    I didn't see this until someone PM'd me, but seriously, you seem to have a real hard-on for me (and a complete misapprehension about me). I'd suggest you keep me out of this conversation as baseball is not my thing. Jhawk can probably manage without you mentioning me.

And sorry, but if this is heading towards you acting out some sort of fetish with me, I'm afraid that will be out of the question, too.

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Coach Pott's, I don't know what all I am replying to. But I thought I'd share my thoughts w/ you. Some of them are likely helpful feed back from an athlete. Some of them may be critical. But either way, all just my opinion.

All else being equal, I would rather train athletes to do pistols and weighted pistols rather than Bulgarian squats. See this video: *****://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLogFAbTlDI. Do you think this guy would do Bulgarian squats, or do you think he'd grab a kettlebell and bust out 20 2pood pistols or something? My point is, the muscles involved are rather similar but I think the "neurological loading" from the pistol is more beneficial than that of the Bulgarian Squat.

Again, I do not know what is were, what I saw in what link, but I was glad to see the "monster walk" and will begin incorporating that myself.

The whole thing in the video about training hip rotation. I don't think it can hurt. Not sure I would spend my time that way though. You get a lot of hip rotation w/ active squatting. Any kind of med-ball throw, if programmed under the pressure of a time domain, and heavy enough, is OK w/ me though.

A lot of the exercises you choose... I'd rather attack those muscles w/ different movements. Like instead of plank overhead squat, handstands, muscle ups, but krakkerz would scream "hell..." if I suggest those movements for baseball players. The truth is, looking at them from management's POV, the lower risk choices you have made...which do you think is "safer" to the athlete? Bulgarian squats or weighted pistols? On the surface, its the Bulgarian squat...may be appropriate. But were it me, I would rather blend the two and introduce the "isolation exercise's" functional equivalent, slowly, until the athlete had learned the pattern, and while he is learning, keep "training" him with the neurologically easier movement under load. But eventually...I would want to progress to the weighted pistol over the Bulgarian squat, for example.

Also, I was talking to a couple of ex pros, I think all minor league guys, and they said they thought there was someone in the MLB that could run a mile in under 5 minutes. I can't really decide what I think, I guess you could say it wouldn't surprise me one way or another. I know the Cardinals team reasonably well, there are a couple of guys that I would think could make it interesting. But if I'm a betting man, getting even odds, I put my money on no one on their team being able to do it.

You may be uniquely qualified to answer, I am just curious. Do you think anyone on the Royals can do it? If so, how fast do you think your fastest KC Royals athlete could run a mile?
    There are certainly athletes in the MLB who can run a sub-5 mile. Is there any reason for them to? Not really, baseball is about as very close to power/speed end of the spectrum as you'll find. While distance training was popular in the past it is fading quickly, Cressey has some interesting articles out regarding that. As for which player would run the fastest mile, probably Danny Duffy, he's run 5k's in the offseason with a sub-6 minute pace. Edit - confirmed with Danny he's run 4:48 in the mile.

As for your other question, yes the Bulgarian is the "safer" of the 2 you're comparing. I think you're making a mistake in taking a picture and assigning it totality. We also use pistol squats in our program as well. Don't lose sight of the forest due to the trees.

Regarding the overhead movements you mentioned what you have to look out for is impingement of the tendon connecting the long head of the bicep, in a sport that requires a position (overhead throwing) already you try to minimize that position/risk off of the field. If you can use a safer exercise you should, especially when tens of millions of dollars can be on the line.
    While I am at it, what is your fastest athlete's time @ 0-90, what about 60 yard dash?
    Home to 1st times vary quite a bit but faster players ran in the 3.45-3.6 range. As for 60's, depending on the surface, there have been some time in the 5.9-6.2 range.

Also, about the open stance a la Pro Agility Drill...clearly it makes you faster when going towards second. But what do the player think about there ability to get back? Certainly there must a compromise there, a smaller lead, or you get picked more. is it worth it? Player dependent? Or do you have studies and survey's on this?
    As long as you teach proper loading there really isn't an issue getting back to the bag.
    Last edited by Jhawk Fitness; 10-30-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    I didn't see this until someone PM'd me, but seriously, you seem to have a real hard-on for me (and a complete misapprehension about me). I'd suggest you keep me out of this conversation as baseball is not my thing. Jhawk can probably manage without you mentioning me.

And sorry, but if this is heading towards you acting out some sort of fetish with me, I'm afraid that will be out of the question, too.
    A hard on for you is the exact opposite of how I feel. I was trying to preempt your inevitable "baseball players and swimmers should do over head exercises" yelp.
    www.crossfit.com

Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness View Post
    There are certainly athletes in the MLB who can run a sub-5 mile. Is there any reason for them to? Not really, baseball is about as very close to power/speed end of the spectrum as you'll find. While distance training was popular in the past it is fading quickly, Cressey has some interesting articles out regarding that. As for which player would run the fastest mile, probably Danny Duffy, he's run 5k's in the offseason with a sub-6 minute pace.

As for your other question, yes the Bulgarian is the "safer" of the 2 you're comparing. I think you're making a mistake in taking a picture and assigning it totality. We also use pistol squats in our program as well. Don't lose sight of the forest due to the trees.

Regarding the overhead movements you mentioned what you have to look out for is impingement of the tendon connecting the long head of the bicep, in a sport that requires a position (overhead throwing) already you try to minimize that position/risk off of the field. If you can use a safer exercise you should, especially when tens of millions of dollars can be on the line.
    Home to 1st times vary quite a bit but faster players ran in the 3.45-3.6 range. As for 60's, depending on the surface, there have been some time in the 5.9-6.2 range.

As long as you teach proper loading there really isn't an issue getting back to the bag.
    Coach, all good stuff thanks for responding. I couldn't tell if there was a forest or not. All I had was the picture you provided. Anyway, glad to hear your responses.
    www.crossfit.com