HighCat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HighCat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HighCat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HighCat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HighCat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HighCat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HighCat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HighCat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HighCat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HighCat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HighCat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Exclamation Feeling sleepy after Carbs.

Hello,

So I've noticed that after eating a big bowl of pasta or ramen if feel drowsy. I feel like I need to sleep or take a coffee. This was my first meal, so I thought it's a good idea to pump some energy into my body before going to study, but now I can't do anything productive.

Any particular reason why this happens? Carbs are energy, what's the problem with that?

Thanks!

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by HighCat View Post
    Hello,

So I've noticed that after eating a big bowl of pasta or ramen if feel drowsy. I feel like I need to sleep or take a coffee. This was my first meal, so I thought it's a good idea to pump some energy into my body before going to study, but now I can't do anything productive.

Any particular reason why this happens? Carbs are energy, what's the problem with that?

Thanks!
    This happens for a lot of people including myself. Reduce your carb intake per meal(s) if you're the type to crash after a high carb meal.
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Didn't Subway have a commercial about 10 years ago referring to this phenomenon as "nappy time" or "sleepy time" or something like that?

reckless101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) reckless101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) reckless101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) reckless101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) reckless101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) reckless101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) reckless101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) reckless101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) reckless101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) reckless101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) reckless101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    try high fats in the morning and heavy carbs at night so u can sleep like a baby

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As the quantity of food increases, so too does the amount of insulin released as a normal part of the body's digestion. The insulin, in turn, increases the amount of seratonin and melatonin that flood the brain. These two chemicals are associated with drowsiness.

A large meal (particularly with CHO) also triggers the parasympathetic nervous system, which tells your body to slow down and focus on digesting rather than go out and seek more food. At this point it is all about rest and digest.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

Jiigzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jiigzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jiigzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jiigzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jiigzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jiigzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jiigzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jiigzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jiigzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jiigzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jiigzz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PBateman2 View Post
    As the quantity of food increases, so too does the amount of insulin released as a normal part of the body's digestion. The insulin, in turn, increases the amount of seratonin and melatonin that flood the brain. These two chemicals are associated with drowsiness.

A large meal (particularly with CHO) also triggers the parasympathetic nervous system, which tells your body to slow down and focus on digesting rather than go out and seek more food. At this point it is all about rest and digest.
    This sums it up nicely.

Also, if you have a lot of carbs and little else, you may be experiencing a 'crash' so to speak. If this is the case, then drop carb intake and/ or pair your carbs with fats or protein.
    You strong like Rambo, look like hero, but your brain just like potato

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Some people feel energised after consuming carbs, some people get tired. If you're the latter, you might feel better on a higher fat diet.

As the others said if you include more protein, fiber and fat in your meal it will slow down digestion and this will cause a lower insulin response.

One more way to decrease the insulin response is letting your noodles (and other starches) cool down and then reheat them, this creates resistant starch and will lower insulin response.

Lastly, if you have lacking insulin sensitivity you can improve it by doing HIIT and by reducing meal frequency.

Creating bodily entropy. Gen1GT's Avatar
    Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Excellent post!

I'm not sure you can improve on that. LOL
    286 lbs - March 11, 2019 (started Keto)
    261 lbs - May 23, 2019

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by HighCat View Post
    So I've noticed that after eating a big bowl of pasta or ramen if feel drowsy.
    Did you have the noodles on their own? If so try them with ~30 grams protein from chicken or meat next time and add some veggies and fat.

That may likely solve it. If not, you might have poor insulin sensitivity.

TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Some people feel energised after consuming carbs, some people get tired. If you're the latter, you might feel better on a higher fat diet.
    im definitely the latter, for simple carbs and some complex ones if I eat more than 20g by itself it will crash my energy levels. it used to put me to sleep sometimes before I started calorie controlling and balancing my diet macros.

Originally Posted by TruKnight View Post
    im definitely the latter, for simple carbs and some complex ones if I eat more than 20g by itself it will crash my energy levels. it used to put me to sleep sometimes before I started calorie controlling and balancing my diet macros.
    Same here. I tend to feel very good at high fat / very low carb intakes. This is why I currently experiment with a ketogenic diet.

I also want to start experimenting with resistant starch as a way to manage energy levels. Could be interesting: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=164650801

sandyr9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sandyr9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sandyr9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sandyr9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sandyr9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sandyr9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sandyr9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sandyr9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sandyr9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sandyr9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sandyr9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This happens to me when I eat a large meal, I literally crawl to the sofa and have a nap. I remember watching a health show, showing that it is your body needing to digest the food slowly. That is usually why there is wait times between meals in a restaurant and you typically enjoy your meal better there than quickly eating and going to do something else.

MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

This, indeed. On spread.
    *No sig crew*